Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail
My mouth started watering thing about quail eggs, fried quail, and grits w/gravy for breakfast.

You also need to make sure your feed supplement has a heavy calcium content. If the hens do not get enough calcium the egg shells are thin and fragile.
I was reading about adding calcium.  I've been grinding up egg shells (chicken eggs we eat for breakfast) and putting them in an old vitamin bottle.  That was a recommendation I saw on the Backyard Chicken forum.  They said I can add it as a stand alone that way they can eat as much/little as they want.  Apparently they 'know' if they need it or not, and when.  Seemed like the easiest way to go.

Also put them on the grass a few times a week to peck at the grass and dirt so they get grit.  Plus I give them dirt in a big lid for a 'dirt bath' a few times a week.  Man, they love the dirt!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Get some oyster shells and pulverize them for the calcium.
They've started laying a few days ago.  Had one egg per day for three days and then yesterday had three eggs.  So I've gotten six eggs total so far.  I want to start incubating soon so I'm hoping for quite a few to start with.  

Very excited.  Hoping for better results than the first time with the rabbits  Big Grin

There were four eggs waiting for me when I got home yesterday.  That brings me up to ten so far.  My plan is to start incubating around Thursday.  Hopefully I'll have 20+ by that time.  And hopefully I'll have a great hatch rate as well.

I've been getting four eggs consistently for the last three days.  I now have 18 total.  Moving up my incubation plan to Wednesday as long as the incubator is set up and running well.

Set up the incubator this morning.  It's holding steady temp so I decided to start the incubation process tonight.  This will put the 18 day mark on a set of days off.  I put 22 eggs in the bater so we'll see how many hatch.  

Smile

I've been getting a full count of 6 eggs per day for the last 3 days.  That's fantastic and it's really cool walking out to collect eggs every day.  As with the rabbits, I've updated the watering system.  Each cage has a small red cup that is connected to the 5 gallon bucket.  As they drink it automatically fills back up.  I wanted to do this so that the water stays cleaner.  

Incubation still continues.  Still turning 4 times a day and the incubator is holding the temperature perfectly.   Smile

Still getting 5-6 eggs consistently every day.  Today is 'lock down' for the quail eggs in the incubator.  This means that I've stopped turning them and have slightly dropped the temperature and raised the humidity.  Estimating Saturday as hatch day.  Curious to see how many will hatch out of the 21.

[Image: 27167628470_ba541fed1a_k.jpg]

[Image: 27345006302_c8073726a9_z.jpg]

First four quail have hatched!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star David's rabbit & quail thread David 18 3,258 12-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  David's quail thread David 5 1,702 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: David