Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail
Thumbs Up 
I've been discussing quail in the chicken and rabbit thread.  I wanted to start their own thread as I gather links, video and experience.

Here's a link to a DIY incubator:

LINK
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
A good reference for game birds is Purina. Here is a link with some good info:
http://www.purinamills.com/find-answers/...ame-birds/

I am a little bit biased towards Purina. My father-in-law retired from there.
Great link, thanks Smile

I brought home 6 females and 2 males on Monday.  They're about 3-4 weeks old.  Should start laying eggs in around 3 weeks or so.  I've got them in a 4x2 cage that I made and from what I've researched I could hold up to another four in that cage.  My plan is to incubate the first batch of eggs I get and set up a second cage, same size.  Maybe keep 9 female and 3 male as the 'standard' and see how it works.  The rest will be for meat with the caveat I may set up an additional cage or two.  We'll see how it pans out.

Found out the feed I purchased was too low in protein (12.5%) for growing quail.  It was more of a maintenance formula.  So I went down to the feed store this morning and picked up Purina Game Bird & Turkey Startena which was recommended and has 30% protein.  I'll feed them on that for the next couple of weeks or so and then start cutting it a bit with the other so they're averaging around 20%+.

Hopefully I'll they'll start laying here in the next few weeks and I can start with the DIY incubator project.  Smile

Built a new cage for the quail.  It is 4x2 like the first cage but I put a divider down the middle so it's 2x2 on each side.  I put 1 male and 3 females in each side as they'll soon be full grown and mature enough to start laying eggs (figuring a couple of weeks).  The little Kindle book I purchased on Amazon suggested that 3:1 was a good ratio.  So I'll start with that and see how it works for me.  I still have the other 4x2 cage and I'll use that as a grow out cage for when I start incubating the eggs.  I've got the incubator on the way, I'll make a brooder out of a plastic tote and when they're old enough to leave the brooder I'll put them in the grow out cage.  

I'd like to make one more 4x2 cage with a divider so I can work up to having a total of four 2x2 sections with a 3:1 ratio.  I'll harvest the rest for meat.  That's the plan.   Smile

He has a good design with his rabbit cage and waste disposal. The one thing I would change is when he cuts out the floor he can notch the corners and turn up the edges by 2" to form the baby catcher lip and then clip the sides to the base.

The other thing is do not put a 2x4 in the cage with the rabbit as most wood has some kind of treatment on it. Cut a 2" piece of hardwood off a tree about a foot long as a nibbling stick.
Hey, that's a good idea on overlapping the bottom for the baby catcher.  I'll have to remember that.

Agree on the wood.  I'm using both natural limbs and some store bought sticks for them to nibble on.  And they do like to nibble on them!

In regards to the quail, my son and I plan on doing that PVC stackable set up in the above video.  We currently have a 4x2 that is divided in half.  This gives me two 2x2 cages with a rooster and 3 hens in each.  I'd like to add another couple just like this to give me a total of six 2x2 cages so that I can have 18 layers.  Not sure if I want a rooster in each one just yet, maybe just some of the cages.  Then I have a 4x2 that is not divided that I plan on using as a grow out cage for harvest quail.  So we'll do a PVC frame that can accommodate four 4x2 cages.  So it will pretty much be the same as in the video except wider.

I found out the quail poop is considered a hot fertilizer so I can't use it directly in the garden or worm bin.  So I started up my compost bin again and that should help keep the temp up on it.  

The quail should be laying here soon and I bought a Janoel-10 incubator off Amazon so I'm excited to use it.  It can hold 10 chicken eggs so I'm hoping for maybe 20 or so quail eggs.  We'll see.

Like with the rabbits, we have a 'plan'  Smile

Once I start getting eggs...
  • Takes 16-18 days to incubate eggs.
  • Brooder for 3 weeks.
  • Grow out pen for 3 weeks then harvest them (6 weeks they're full grown).
So that's about 2 months from laid egg to harvesting.  So in addition to gathering eggs for breakfast I'll have to take a days worth or two to incubate on a cycle so that I have quail to harvest on a monthly basis.  

So I'll have to set up a cycle like:
  • Eggs go in the incubator.
  • 18 days later they hatch out.
  • 3 weeks in the brooder.  About a weeks or so into batch #1 I'll start incubating batch #2.
  • Batch #1 goes to grow out pen after 3 weeks in brooder.  Group #2 now goes into the grow out cage.
  • After 3 weeks group #1 is ready to harvest.  Group #2 moves to grow out pen.
  • Repeat cycle.
We'll see how it goes  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star David's rabbit & quail thread David 18 2,909 12-13-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  David's quail thread David 5 1,586 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: David