Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When survival shows go right
Thumbs Up 
Survival shows are pretty easy to slam (many of them).  Some stuff is unrealistic and some downright dangerous and idiotic.  But to be fair, sometimes they do provide a tidbit or nugget that is very useful.  So I figured that would make for a good thread.  What have you picked up from any of these shows that you found useful?

I was talking with a co-worker this morning.  He caught an episode of DS with the two new guys.  Too be honest, I watched one episode of these two guys and stopped watching the show (which is a shame as it use to be my favorite).  Anyway, he shared something that I thought was useful.  In looking for signs of hypothermia you need to look for the 'umbles'.
  • Mumble
  • Fumble
  • Stumble
I thought that could be useful as warning signs.

So what have you learned or found useful from any of these shows, and which show did you see it on?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Dave and Cody both taught you to slow down and don't panic. Mind over matter. Keep your bearings and don't let the situation get the best of you.

I can't remember where I heard it. But I heard the story of a man who got locked in a freezer. He panicked and ended up freezing to death. Phsycologically! The temperature of the room was cool but not at any dangerous level. But in his mind, he knew he was trapped in a freezer and couldn't get out. The mind is very powerful. And if it gets away from you, it's very deadly.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
If I remember correctly, 75 oF is sufficient for death from hypothermia; which is what kills most folks lost in the woods. Don't sweat, don't get wet.
Consider that is takes a bit more than 5X as much energy to get a mass of water from 100oC liquid into 100oC gas than it takes to get the same mass of water from 0oC to 100oc. That is, just changing the water from liquid to gas, with no change in temperature, takes 5X as much energy as is does to get the water from the freezing point to the boiling point. This is why steam burns you like crazy, and why evaporative cooling is very, very efficient in removing heat energy.
I got turned around in the woods hunting hogs just killed a nice down a head of the dogs had a compass it was foggy I walked the way I thought I should go not the way of the compass 3 hours later I started to think I was spending the night and eating pig when I started to get stuff ready for a fire a truck on the road about 35 yards away passed on the road I walked beside a road for 3 hours learned not to second guess a compass
I learned that combining glycerin and potassium permanganate with create a chemical fire.  I now stock both of these chemicals (separately of course) in my GHB's as part of the fire kit.

'Naked and Afraid' which I find really goofy most of the time, actually had one part that was awesome. Everyone has problems with water, but one girl actually thought to take some bamboo, hollow it out, fill it with rocks, grass, then sand and charcoal from their fire, and make her own version of 'Life Straw' to clean their water. I though that was brilliant. I've only seen someone do that that it one time..
(03-29-2016, 01:03 PM)David Wrote: I learned that combining glycerin and potassium permanganate with create a chemical fire.  I now stock both of these chemicals (separately of course) in my GHB's as part of the fire kit.

That was Mykel Hawke btw, should have mentioned that.

That's an old trick I learned in highschool chemistry. it burns HOT also. it will ignite magnesium. So if you ever need to make a really damn hot fire, or burn something tough, take your magnesium block and cut some shavings, put the potassium permangnage on top of the pile and drop some glycerine on the top of it (a few drops will do) and get the hell out of the way.. and watch your eyes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dual Survival JRSC 18 3,475 03-08-2018, 03:13 AM
Last Post: JRSC
  Survival memes David 14 5,939 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Last Post: David
  Dirty Rotten Survival David 20 4,847 11-19-2016, 02:18 AM
  Survival/Post Apocalyptic books Cougar90 3 1,107 11-19-2016, 01:59 AM
  When survival shows go wrong. JRSC 19 2,730 06-24-2016, 09:11 PM
  Dual Survival Cancelled David 20 8,129 01-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Dr. Dickie
  Falling Skies and other online TV shows mac66 2 1,028 12-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Last Post: mac66
  What's The Grossest/Worst Thing You've Seen On A Survival Show? JRSC 12 5,117 09-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Last Post: ghost
Big Grin The survival gurus David 4 1,987 09-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Video Ray Mears' World Of Survival David 1 1,310 07-11-2015, 03:18 PM