Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your multi-tool
Thumbs Up 
Just looking through the board and can't believe we don't have a multi-tool thread!!!  sak

So with that in mind, what's your multi-tool?

I have a Gerber Suspension in my EDC and considering getting one for my duty belt as well.

[Image: Gerber_suspension.jpg]

I like this one because it has both a fine edge blade and a serrated edge blade.  It also has a saw which I feel is important.  I always remember Les Stroud talking about the importance of a saw on a multi-tool for gathering small branches for wood and such.  Your not going to saw a tree down with it, but good for small branches and such.  The first one I bought was $29.  Got a second one for my son for the same and bought a third for $17.50 off Ebay last year.  May buy one more for the duty belt that way I don't have to constantly remember switching it out from EDC to duty belt and such.

What's your multi-tool?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I have the Gerber needle nose standard as my work multi-tool. In my BOB I have a Leatherman Wave. I have a leatherman in my truck and one on my motorcycle.

I have never purchased a multi-tool and I still have 7 or 8 of them. I acquired every one of them in the military. It was standard practice when you deployed to the middle east you were issued a knife and a multi-tool and the were classified as XB3 (disposable).
I've been carrying my SAK (Tinker) now for about 22 years.  Finally decided to 'somewhat' retire it off my EDC keychain.  Still works like the day I bought it but I'm starting to carry the Gerber Suspension on my belt now simply because it has more features.  I did have it in my EDC bag, but there are times when I don't carry that with me.  Having the GS on my belt is easy enough.  The only features that the SAK have over the GS is the twizzers and toothpick.  I have almost never used the toothpick but the twizzers have come in handy over the years.  But the GS just has more overall features that I want to have with me on a daily basis. 

What really sold me was the ability for the blades/tools to lock.  The SAK doesn't lock and that is a downfall of this excellent knife. Plus the GS has both fine and serrated blades.  So overall I think I will be better off with the GS.  I'll toss the SAK in my car or in a pack perhaps since it is still in excellent condition.

I've found that if you carry a multi-tool you'll find uses for it. They can save a lot of walking. The big advantage over the Swiss Army Knives I've found are the pliers. Screw drivers on some are better than the SAK but usually about equally useful. The blades are almost always better in the SAK and I like the SAK saw better in the versions I've tried.

I did see a hunter take apart an Elk with a Leatherman in Idaho once. I was impressed. The blade stayed sharp so the steel was pretty good. I regret not asking him what model it was - I'm pretty sure it was a Leatherman.

I enjoy the quest for the perfect multi-tool and one will always reside in my pack. For EDC the Swiss Army Knife (Trekker - easy one handed opening and locking blade) gets the nod most of the time as they ride in the pocket easier.
Anyone know of a nice leather sheath for the Gerber Suspension?

Give Dennis at dragon leatherworks a call and see if he can help you out. He is not cheap but does very good work http://www.dlwtn.com
I'll take a look, thanks  Smile

I carry the leatherman rebar now after several years of carrying the cheaper gerber ones.

[Image: 72541-img_3412.jpg]
Thumbs Up 
Status report on the Gerber Suspension;  Have one in each of my EDC bags.  Work very well and are useful.  Following some auctions on Ebay right now as I'd still like to get one cheap for my duty belt.  

Gotta give the Suspension a thumbs up  Smile

I don't carry a multi-tool everyday, but I keep one in my road trip bag. It's a SOG Powerlock.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Cool Mobile & Multi Tools RicFlair 1 1,459 01-09-2017, 03:48 AM
Last Post: David
  knife , tools, multi 'thingie" Tom Mac 0 1,263 07-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac