Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butane lighters

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.

I think I am going to order the yellow flame.
I like the idea of a Zippo that lasts longer without drying up due to evaporation, but I'm a bit cautious about changing from a regular Zippo.  My reason is that a butane Zippo uses just butane (as far as I know) whereas a regular Zippo can use zippo fluid, naptha (same thing), alcohol, hand sanitizer, gasoline, kerosine etc.  Tempting though...

I carry a 90ml refill can of butane as part of my belt pouch kit and a 300ml can in my pack. I use to use a zippo but it kept drying out and the naptha cans tended to leak.

The pouch i use is the British Army Osprey MK2 SA80 Double Magazine pouch, i have 3 attached to my web belt with all my basic shtf kit fire/shelther/water/food incase i have to drop my pack and leg it or lose it some other way
I'll stick with my traditional Zippo. I am running some Everclear in it right now.
How's the Everclear work in it?  I would imagine quite well.  

With a ranger band I can get about 3 weeks on my regular Zippo and of course my peanut lighter at least three months.

I have to run the wick a bit longer and there is a blue flame. I leave it dry most of the time but I get about 3 to 4 weeks out of a fill using a ranger band. I don't have much use for a lighter on a a day-to-day basis.

I have also used 151 rum and host of flammable petroleum products. The alcohol doesn't leave a smelly residue.
That's the beauty of a Zippo, it can simply use a whole host of fuels.  IMO, great as a prepping tool.

And I should have said 'six' months above on the peanut lighter.  And it very probably would have gone longer but I just stopped at six months.