Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Introduction thread - intro yourself
"I live off the ideas passed down from my grandparents, parents, and military."

That's one of the most crucial parts of preparedness, the tried and true wisdom and knowledge filtered to perfection by those who've survived by it.

Welcome sir, I hope you make yourself at home!
Hey everyone. I followed an invite from GT as well. I have been on GTSP since 2004 I think? I found it through another forum called Frugal Squirrel, which I don't know exists any longer. I suppose I'm a young one (36). I got caught in the y2k stuff in my early 20s. I moved to Florida in 1999 right before hurricane Floyd hit and I was stunned at how little prepared my father (who had been there for 5 years) was prepared. I've been into solar and alt energy for a long time. I'm also a HAM (got into it for prepping). No military experience, just a decent amount of common sense and creativity. I work in the CCTV security industry. I used to build special equipment for law enforcement. I live in Central Texas
Enjoy the forum,any ??? pm a mod/admin and we'll do our best to help you out.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Welcome to the forum Ric. Make yourself at home.
(08-17-2015, 04:59 AM)ric0123 Wrote: Hey everyone. I followed an invite from GT as well.  I have been on GTSP since 2004 I think?  I found it through another forum called Frugal Squirrel, which I don't know exists any longer.  I suppose I'm a young one (36).  I got caught in the y2k stuff in my early 20s. I moved to Florida in 1999 right before hurricane Floyd hit and I was stunned at how little prepared my father (who had been there for 5 years) was prepared. I've been into solar and alt energy for a long time. I'm also a HAM (got into it for prepping).  No military experience, just a decent amount of common sense and creativity. I work in the CCTV security industry. I used to build special equipment for law enforcement.  I live in Central Texas

welcome

Yeah it's surprising how many people are unprepared for local scenarios.  In Florida you'll see a run on generators at the beginning of hurricane season and then see them returned or sold second hand after the season's over.  Nature of folks I suppose.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
agreed. I had the same situation many years later in Texas during Katrina. I worked for RadioShack for many years and when Floyd hit in Florida, we had a weeks notice.. We had flashlights and weather radios set out but it wasn't until the last hour that people came and rushed for them.

I was in Austin when Katrina came. Originally, there were map predictions showing Katrina coming up through central Texas, through Bastrop. I was pretty well prepped by then, but I went out that night looking for last minute stuff. Stores were pulled clean (except, ironically, Walgreens!). I made some new friends in the water purification eisle of Academy though, explaining the difference between units.

So, as I just said, if you ever have a last minute crisis, screw walmart. Every Walgreens I go to is empty of customers, but has all the basic stuff... food, water, first aid things, basic hardware, batteries, flashlights, etc. It's slightly over priced, but the fact that you can get in and out without getting shot is a bonus.
i am here to learn. i never really worried about Y2K. What I see happening now since we have less resolve than we did under Carter is cause for concern not worry or panic but intelligent concern.

i grew up in the sticks and was in the woods on a deer stand by myself at age 7 with an Auto 5 Browning with my Dad not too far away. By age 11, I was hunting all manner of game. i have been a traveling salesman most of my professional career.

Thanks for having me.
welcome

You'll see a folks from GT here,it's a fresh start.Maybe this change will allow new folks with new ideas join here.GTs s/p turns into a whizzing contest more times than not.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Hey Will, glad to have you.  Pull up a chair and make yourself to home! Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Welcome Will. Dig in, there's a lot of great information.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Rate a thread or member David 5 1,770 01-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Last Post: David
Star Thread resurrection David 3 755 09-07-2017, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
  new member intro Lt.Donn 3 1,090 12-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Last Post: ric0123