Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astrolux S1
Been talking with some folks on BLF about this light.  Seems to be a better version of the Special Edition BLF A6.  This is an 18650 tube light with a separate connector that will shorten it to accept 18350/16340 batteries.  This is a plus if you want/need a shorter light to EDC without sacrificing brightness or lumens.  Rated at 1600 lumens, those seem to be 'Chinese' lumens and from what I've seen it is in actuality about 1200 lumens.  But make no mistake, 1200 lumens is like looking at the sun for all intents and purposes.  In other words, bright is bright!  However, I'm more interested in it's low which is a moonbeam/firefly mode.  It has a plethora of options:

Astrolux S1 CREE XPL 1600LM 7/4modes LED Flashlight 18650/18350

Here is a video of the Special Edition BLF A6 to give an idea of what this light can/will do:

If you use the code BLF you get a discount.  Brings the price to around $26 and change.  This seems to be like a Convoy S2+ with several different advanced features.  I may have to try this light out!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Banggood

Amazon

BLF review

Here is an 18650/CR123/16340 option light.  Overall it's gotten very good reviews on BLF.  Very powerful and has a plethora of options.  Has an extension tube so you can use different sized batteries and/or make it longer/shorter depending on how you'd like to carry.

I'd like to see the price go down.  Right now it's twice the price of a Convoy S2+ and I'm not convinced it's twice the light.  The current asking price is probably very fair but I'm looking for a fantastic deal.  But it should/would/could make an excellent EDC flashlight that gives you lots of options.  Compare with the Convoy S2+ thread and see what works better for you overall.  

The BLF A6 was a joint effort between members of the BLF forum and the manufacturer.  Generally held in high regard.  The Astrolux S2 is the same light rebranded by the manufacturer.

Well it took around ten months but I finally ordered an Astrolux S1.  It shipped today for just under $20.  

Looking forward to this arriving.  My make this my work EDC light.

The S1 arrived in the mail today.  First impression is that this may become my favorite 18650 light, even more than the Convoy S2+ because of the extra features.  It has the following modes:  Moon, low, medium 1, medium 2, high 1, high 2 and turbo.  You have the ability to change the modes to low, med, high and turbo.  You can also turn last mode memory on or off.  I like those choices.  I have memory enabled on mine to come on in medium 2 and I can increase or decrease according to the situation.  The moon mode is excellent and very, very low which I like.  Perfect for looking into a pack or in a theater or car without being distracting or ruining your night vision.  The turbo is of course a lighthouse in intensity.  Stays in turbo for around 90 seconds then steps down to the high 2 mode to conserve the battery.  Not sure the different lumen levels but trubo is suppose to be between 1200 - 1600 lumens depending on the battery from what I understand.  Even on the low end, 1200 lumens is BRIGHT!

Basically the light looks very similar to the Convoy S2+.  Mine is black, not sure if they come in other colors like the Convoy S2+.  Comes with the clip, 18350 tube, extra O-rings and tail switch.  Took it on my night walk tonight and turbo lit the woods up.  Think this will be my new duty belt light and I'll have the Convoy S2+ as back up in a cargo pocket.  

I'll give it a thumbs up, particularly since I picked it up on sale for under $20!  Normal price is $29.95 on Banggood and much higher on Amazon.  Felt like I got a good deal.  My hope is that it turns out to be a light that lasts a very long time.  This would also be an excellent woods light.

[Image: 197914f9-80f1-4e96-8ed5-f307df1bf99a.jpg]

Got a chance to field test the S1 at the SEP Gathering this last weekend.  Functioned without any issues and on turbo lit the woods up fine!  Easily as bright, if not brighter than either my Trustfire A8 or Ultrafire F13.  Rated at 1200 lumens, I feel it's pretty much spot on.  

Switching between modes takes a bit of getting use to as it's a very soft touch to move between them.  Memory helps this tremendously.  The moon mode was fine for up close and personal tasks while the turbo turned the night into day with a fair amount of throw and a good, wide pattern.  Bargain at $20.

Approximate lumens:

L1 - .62
L2 - 13
L3 - 72
L4 - 197
L5 - 429
L6 - 821
L7 - 1288 stepping down to 759 after 45 seconds.

I ordered the BLF A6 this morning from BG.  As noted above, it is the same light as the Astrolux S1, just rebranded.  I like the S1 enough to go with the 'two is one and one is none' mantra.  I'm testing the S1 out for daily EDC pocket carry right now.  I was EDC'ing the Nitecore EA11 which I really like, perhaps even more than the S1 but it comes on too easy in the pocket since the controls are on the side instead of on the end.  It came on twice in one week on turbo and it got HOT!  So far the S1 hasn't had that issue.  So the EA11 is in the backup role in my EDC sling bag.

From a BLF member;

Quote:Battery choices I use:
Flat tops
Sony 18650 VTC6
Samsung 18650 30Q
Sanyo 18650 GA

Keeppower 18350

Lumens range (based on some old posts various batteries)
1. 0.35 – 0.45 lm (39 days)
2. 8 – 12 lm (8.7 days)
3. 51 – 66 lm (18 hrs)
4. 149 – 190 lm (6.5 hrs)
5. 344 – 427 lm (100 min)
6. 672 – 832 lm (50 min)
7. 1109 – 1494 lm (26 min)