Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Shelter
Found this today. Far too rich for me but a land mine of creativity. What's your thoughts on it? Let's get the creative juices flowing.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291610892607?_mwBanner=1
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
I saw one of these in Europe back in the 90's. I took some pictures and showed them to a buddy who drew out plans with yellow pine on the outside and red cedar on the inside. The sauna heater can be sourced from a few different companies. I would like a sauna next to my pool at my dream house...
When I saw this thing, I thought itd make a great little bug out shelter. Extremely small, can be tucked away in a little corner of the woods. The sauna/ heating aspect of the deal sparked my interest. If I can find or possibly make something close to this it'd be a major benefit in my prepping endeavors. I know I can't be the only one who's ever seen one of these and had the idea.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

The drawings I have are a little bit different. Similar outside dimensions but the the inside is all right angles for the floor and sides.

A simple and inexpensive building is a a pole barn with a poured slab and walls. My nieces mother (my wife's, brother's, first wife) is building a house out of a pole barn design. She is going to end up with a 2100 sq ft house with 12 ft ceilings and a metal roof. She said it is about half of what a traditional house would cost. I am going to be wiring it with CAT6 in a few weeks and setting up the wireless network (the CAT6 is for the security cameras).
In my experience a used travel trailer is just about ideal as a shelter. It is portable and completely self contained. They are set up to run on 12V, propane and 12V. Add an extra battery or two, maybe a solar panel and a generator. They already have beds, tables, cupboards, sinks, bathrooms etc. For long term you might want to build a cover over it, maybe add some insulation around the bottom for cold weather, some plastic storm windows help as well. I see trailers set up like that at hunting camps that have been there for 50 years.

I used an old $500 travel trailer on my property for 7 years. I then bought a 12x16' shed kit at a lumber yard. It included all the wood, nails, roofing, plans etc and was delivered. I built is on a raised platform, added a house door instead of the barn doors it came with, insulated it, added a couple windows from a garage sale. I then stripped the trailer of appliances and light, kitchen and bathroom fixtures and put them in the shed. I can run everything on 120v, 12V or propane just like a trailer. And since it's just a shed, the township tax accessor ignored it.
http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com

Good information and pretty cool website!

If I had the time and money, I'd invest in one of these.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tarp shelter bdcochran 11 2,987 01-31-2018, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Gene
  Quick References to Primitive Shelter JRSC 8 3,673 12-22-2016, 04:04 AM
Last Post: JRSC
  Interesting cabins/RV mac66 0 1,011 10-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Last Post: mac66