Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Article on Warming Your Car
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bigge...38459.html
In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
Always was of the thought to just drive easy till fully up to operating temps....

But then again the wife has a habit of remote start so the inside of the car warms up... guess its a push - can't win !
Let it warm completely,yer ride will last longer.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Rule of thumb, idle for at least 2 minutes.
In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
The article is full of BS info (typical of Yahoo). Some of it is correct but "your car will be at least 12% less efficient at burning fuel when it’s cold" is just wrong. So is the statement about the gas washing the cylinders - If you have bad rings this could happen but not with a good set of piston rings.

An engine is an air pump. Cold air is more dense than warm air. When an engine is cold with cold air the computer will adjust the fuel to dump more in to keep the air fuel ratio correct. When it warms up the computer will make the adjustment to lean it out but the computer will always adjust to keep the ratio correct. I used to have a formula that would calculate HP differences for temperature and altitude so we could adjust the richness of the carb for maximum performance (I used to drag race motorcycles). Cold air makes more power. Humid air also will make more power than dry air.

In cold weather the air is more dense as I stated earlier. the cooler charge of air will make more power than warmer air. Do you get better fuel mileage in the winter or the summer? Winter mileage will always be higher. Piston airplanes try to fly as high as they can because they use less fuel at the higher altitude because of the colder air (there is a trade off as the air is thinner).

With a carbureted engine it is a good idea to let it warm up a few minutes before you take it out but it needs to be running at a speed high enough to have oil pressure. With a fuel injected engine it is not necessary as the computer will make air/fuel adjustments. It is a good idea to drive easy until the vehicle warms up before you hit interstate speeds. The big risk is the thermal expansion of the various metals inside an engine are not the same (piston slap with a cold engine is more prevalent but it goes away when the engine warms up). Also some cold metals tend to be brittle and can break easier.
lol, mechanical engineer.  What happens in a "laboratory" versus the real world can be completely different.

There are just way too many factors to make those blanket statements.

I know a guy that is a genius with Honda engines; he built my current set up for me. He always lets his engines warm up for about 5 minutes regardless. He has a 2003 Honda pilot with a 3.5 litre.  At 100k he needed to rebuild his tranny, so at the same time he decided to check out the engine and refresh the engine, if needed.  He had no oil blow by and no oil consumption.  After inspection, the cylinder walls just needed a very light "hone" -- that was it.  So, washing the cylinders and shortening the life on that particular engine, as the engineer stated, is BS.