Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peanut lighter

A while back a fellow SRI member got me into peanut lighters.  And Ferfal helped as well.  I carry these on my EDC keychain along with my SAK and a couple of flashlights which I talk about in the Lighting section.

These things are really great.  They're small, light and you can find them inexpensive on Ebay.  I see many versions that get pricey though I'm not sure why.  I generally pay about $3 for mine give or take.  They are just like a mini Zippo in operation.  And they LAST!  I did a test earlier this year.  I filled my peanut lighter and tested it every few days.  Over the course of two months in never failed to light on the first strike.  I went 66 days before I stopped the test and it was still going strong.  Ferfal says he normally gets between 6 months and a year.  The come with an O-ring so that goes a long way towards stopping the evaporation process.

And easy, inexpensive way to have flame any time you might need it.

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
These are new to me. I'll have to check them out. I've been thinking of putting a ferro rod and a pack of stormproof matches in my travel bag with my bic lighter. This could be a nice addition.
First time I saw these I didn't give them a second glance.  I just didn't hit me how useful they were I guess.  Then a buddy from the UK and I started talking about them on the old (now defunct) SRI forum.  I dunno, it's like a light bulb lit up or something.  To me, the ability to make fire is right at the top of my priority list because of the amount of things fire can do (help regulate core body temperature, disinfect water, signal for rescue, protection from wildlife, psychological comfort, cook food and the list goes on).  So here was a way to have a piece of gear on my person that was inexpensive, small, light, fits on a keychain, takes multiple fuels and gives sustained flame with a one-handed operation and can stay lit if necessary hands-off. 

Is there a difference between my $3 peanut lighter and a $42 peanut lighter (just saw one on Ebay for $26.86 + $15.66 shipping)?  If there is I haven't seen it yet.  I've carried it daily for 6 months and it lights up every time and my personal test was 2+ months (and I really didn't have to refill it then).  I figure if I wanted to spend $42 I could get 14 of the type I have which gives me more spares than I'd ever use. 

BTW, they take the same refill flints & wicks as a regular Zippo.  And you can find Zippo flints & wicks (or inexpensive knock-offs) all day long.  I also harvest flints out of used up disposable lighters.  The flints are a tad longer than the Zippo version but they're free and easy to take out of the disposables.  I have a few friends at work that smoke so they toss me their used disposables when they're done.  And you can use a small piece of cotton twine for the wick if you needed to as well so really it's pretty cheap and easy maintenance. 

Also, instead of buying Zippo fluid (which is fairly cheap) you can go to Home Depot and buy a can of Naptha (paint section).  Naptha is the same thing as lighter fluid and you can buy 32oz for the same price as a 12oz can of Zippo fluid.  And you can always use gasoline, kerosine, mineral spirits, hand sanitizer gel and a bunch of other alternative fuels if push came to shove.

The O-ring seal is what makes these interesting to me. As I stated in another post, zippos always seemed to dry up pretty fast, these last much longer from the sound of it.
(07-13-2015, 03:17 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: The O-ring seal is what makes these interesting to me. As I stated in another post, zippos always seemed to dry up pretty fast, these last much longer from the sound of it.

I know my little $3 version will go at least 2+ months.  I'm sure it would have gone quite a bit longer, I just stopped the test at around 60+ days.  Ferfal had one that was in a drawer for a year he figures and it still lit.  I got an O-ring kit with all sorts of sizes from HFT.  So I replace the little thin O-ring, which is probably fine, with a thicker one just to feel I've tweaked it. 

As a side note, I put a ranger band on my Zippo and get just over 3 weeks before needing to refill.

Since I don't smoke or start fires regularly, having a zippo dry up in a few weeks is pretty useless. If these can last so much longer they make more sense for prepping. Along with a BIC, some waterproof matches, and a ferro rod I'd have quadruple redundancy.
(07-15-2015, 02:03 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: Since I don't smoke or start fires regularly, having a zippo dry up in a few weeks is pretty useless. If these can last so much longer they make more sense for prepping. Along with a BIC, some waterproof matches, and a ferro rod I'd have quadruple redundancy.

You and me both brother!  The ability to make fire is something I'm pretty anal about.  I don't smoke either but I'll have the peanut lighter on my EDC keychain, a Zippo in my pocket, a mini-Bic in the EDC pocket organizer along with a ferro rod and some DIY tinder.  Do I 'need' all that stuff?  Usually no.  But then I don't 'usually' need my spare tire. 

I guess making a fire is not something I take for granted.  At one of our SEP gatherings last year, three of us had a bugger of a time getting a fire going.  Now we're not Bear Grylls, Les Stroud or Cody Lundin but we're not novices either and are in fact fairly experienced in the woods.  And it took every trick up our sleeves to get that sucker going.  It was very damp, new wood, windy and cold.  After that I make sure I have as many aces up my sleeve as I can get.  And really, all four of the methods I normally have don't take up much room.  It's not like I'm lugging it around. Peanut lighter on my keychain, Zippo in the pocket and the other stuff in a pack I'll have with me normally anyway.  And if for some reason I don't carry the pack (just a small sling-style bag) then I've still got a couple of ways.

I'm in the mood for an experiment again.  I filled my EDC peanut lighter up full today and struck it.  I will fire it up at the beginning of each month and see how long it goes.  I did this before but stopped at like 3 months and it was still going strong.  I want to see just how long it will go.  Ferfal can get 6+ months usually and one was in a drawer for over a year and still fired up.  

So off and running...

Fired up today...

Just ordered 2. I figured at $3 a pop, why not?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Peanut lighter test thread David 7 714 10-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Last Post: David