Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD shotgun/rifle
Been putting some thought into this recently.  I know the commonly held belief is that the racking of a shotgun strikes terror into the hearts of evil doers.  But it also gives away your position and capabilities, particularly if it's in the quiet of night.  I'm not sure I want an intruder...or intruders knowing that I'm coming with a shotgun.  It could give up a tactical edge and allow them the opportunity to seek out a position of advantage, concealment, cover or allow them to draw their own weapon(s) for an ambush.  My home is L shaped and my son (and any guests) are on the opposite side of the house from my wife and I.  That means I don't have the option to sit and wait.  I think from now on I'll have one in the chamber and the safety on.  In the dead of night it's easier to simply slide the safety off than it is to rack a round, and it doesn't make noise.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I agree that the sound could give away your position and definitely lets them know what you have, but I don't think that's much of a negative. I can think of two types of people who wouldn't be scared off by the sound of a gun. One is a real pro or pros who came there knowing that you were aremed and planned for it. They came to kill or rape a specific target and prepared for the worst. Picture the classic movie hitman or serial killer. These are not common and are not something most people have to worry about. The other is a tweaker too high to know he should run away from a gun. They are dangerous due to lack of fear and desperation, but not because they will locate the sound and set an ambush.
While the benefit of the sound is usually exaggerated, the negative effect is also small.
After I posted above I was on YT looking at a few different topics.  Came across this one, I'll toss it out for discussion.  Don't agree with everything he's saying but some of it is valid for consideration:

From a fixed position I could see perhaps racking a round.  For example, you're in your bedroom and have no need to leave it till the cavalry come and can shelter in place covering the door while family members are behind cover dialing the police.  In this situation, racking a round would be like the rattle of a rattlesnake;  you're warnig the bad guy that bad things may happen if they proceed towards your location.  If you need to leave a fixed position though, for example the need to leave the bedroom to get to/protect loved ones in another part of the house, racking will alert them that you are coming and what you're armed with.  This gives away your tactical advantage and may allow them to seek cover/concealment and/or draw or have ready their own weapons (if they didn't already have them ready).  In this case you have the tactical advantage of knowing the layout of your home (and hopefully have already pre-planned moving from room to room and your angles of fire), best way to move while staying by cover or concealment and danger areas.  By having charged the shotgun before hand you can move silently while listening to their sounds/movements.  You don't have to give away your position until you have a definite tactical advantage and can already have them covered.

Additionally, I've changed the positioning of the shells in the side saddle so that the brass is facing down.  This allows for quicker reloading under stress with less movement and dexterity.  I still have low recoil 00 buck in the tube/chamber.  I now have three 00 buck (full power) and three slugs in the side saddle to provide options if needed.  The side saddle 00 buck is red hulls and the slug is green hulls to provide easier identification.

I personally think that racking a shotgun is a non issue. I can see leaving a shotgun around the house without one in the chamber. One can however keep the tube loaded, hand feed one into the ejection port and quietly close the action without loudly racking the slide. I guess the same thing could be said for a rifle like an AR if you kept it for HD. On the other hand I don't really care if someone hears me rack a round into the chamber or not. The next sound will either be a loud boom or the door slamming behind them on the way out.
The racking sound is a myth in both directions.

Honestly - I think any kind of feedback from bad guys pretty clearly tells you that if 12g cha-chink is heard, that means time to leave. That said there is nothing magical about the sound - and if it is racked you had better be ready to use it.

As much as I get the "Give away my position" thing…I'm not meeting SEAL Team Six in my home in the middle of the night. If they can shoot that well that they triangulate on the sound of the rack….I'm toast anyway. I honestly think that when it gets to that level of thinking you have wayyyyyyy over thought it. That argument goes right along with the "no light" to not give away the position, and alternating buck and slug in case they take a hostage.

Show one [credible] report ever where that actually happened to anyone. Now - people/kids nosy visitors etc who came across a ready to go gun and had an "accident" that happens a lot….
If I'm being marched on by Special Forces or Green Beret's in my home, not giving up my position would only net me a few more seconds of life anyway. So that said, I really DON'T want to kill any one= ever. I will warn the intruder first and hope he has the sense to leave. It is like yelling through the door or down the hall "I've gotta gun and I will use it!".... If not then I will do what I have to.

But still, not many criminals are willing to give up there lives for your TV.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Considering a rifle... David 122 43,027 01-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Added a few things to the wife's rifle bmyers 4 245 01-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Video .22 rifle for home defense? David 11 839 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: David
  Shotgun David 51 11,520 10-27-2017, 11:50 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Don't overlook the Bolt Action Shotgun. TN.Frank 3 804 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Bob
  This is a pack rifle Ronin.45 8 2,101 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Cougar90
Question Mossberg shotgun question David 2 994 11-08-2016, 07:49 PM
  DIY integrated rifle sling for a plate carrier jayclimber 1 760 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
Thumbs Up .22 Survival rifle (using the Marlin 795 as example) David 32 7,802 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM
  Survival Shotgun David 15 4,167 07-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Bob