Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HD shotgun/rifle
If you have a home defense shotgun and/or rifle, do you chamber a round and keep the safety on or do you store it 'cruiser' safe i.e. full tube/magazine but chamber empty?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I don't keep a long gun for HD normally, but if I did, it would be cruiser safe. I don't care for safeties. All my handguns don't have manual safeties and I don't like them on long guns.
Cruser safe. Kids and whatnot….

Plus I'm a fan of the rack sound.
Cruiser safe. I like the sound of racking one in. It is the second most recognizable sound in the world right behind the sound of the fridge opening...
Most bad-guys are opportunists, when confronted would rather flee than die for your stuff, so by racking one in lets one know the scope of there mistake and hopefully I won't have to clean up blood and pick buckshot out of my walls for the next week.

In the density of my neighborhood I would not consider a rifle as a self defense weapon= families with little kids live all around us.
Cruiser safe - that is a new term to me. I have always heard it called "Israeli Carry" or "Israeli Ready" when the chamber is left empty but a loaded mag is in the magwell.

Everything I have keeps an empty chamber right down to my carry weapon.
I have given more thought to my answer. As I stated previously, I don't keep a long gun ready for HD. I just don't see a need for it. However, if I were to have my AR or Benelli at the ready, I think it would be with a round in the chamber and safety off. I don't have kids and strangers don't have access where it would be. I don't like steps between needing it and using it.
(01-11-2016, 08:49 PM)Tsquare Wrote: Cruiser safe - that is a new term to me. I have always heard it called "Israeli Carry" or  "Israeli Ready" when the chamber is left empty but a loaded mag is in the magwell.

Everything I have keeps an empty chamber right down to my carry weapon.

We use the term Israeli carry for pistols where, as you mention, the mag is loaded but the chamber empty.  This is the way I use to carry my off-duty.  I became an instructor through ISI and really liked the whole methodology of the system.  However I now carry with a round in the chamber per agency policy.

Cruiser safe came about as that is the way we carry in the cruisers.

I keep a couple of shotguns around the house, ready to go (one in the chamber). One in my gun room and one in the spare bedroom. A couple years back I got a nasty Rem 1100 12 ga that was in very neglected shape (got it for like $50). I cleaned it up, re-blued as best I could, cut the barrel to 18.5", and then put an extended mag on it. I really like the 1100 so I felt that I had to save it from destruction. Works great now!
The other is a nice Moss 500, again, I happened to run into a deal and get it for less than $100. It already had a 18.5" barrel, so all I had to do was throw an extended mag on it.

For my pistol carry (1911 or Hi-Power) cocked and locked. With a 1911 that is as safe as it gets.
I would love to find a deal like that!  I'd very much like to get a second SG and give to my son.  I keep looking for deals so who knows...

Wink

(01-13-2016, 02:23 PM)David Wrote: I would love to find a deal like that!  I'd very much like to get a second SG and give to my son.  I keep looking for deals so who knows...

Wink

A good friend of mine has a dog grooming shop, he also sells guns (has the 03 FFL).  His shop is like the neighborhood barber shop, where gun guys hang out after he is done with his dog grooming for the day.  He gets all sorts of deals, and if he is not interested, or knows  I am looking for something, he will hook me up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Considering a rifle... David 122 44,043 01-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Added a few things to the wife's rifle bmyers 4 299 01-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Video .22 rifle for home defense? David 11 956 12-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: David
  Shotgun David 51 11,931 10-27-2017, 11:50 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Don't overlook the Bolt Action Shotgun. TN.Frank 3 840 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Bob
  This is a pack rifle Ronin.45 8 2,208 01-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Cougar90
Question Mossberg shotgun question David 2 1,034 11-08-2016, 07:49 PM
  DIY integrated rifle sling for a plate carrier jayclimber 1 789 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
Thumbs Up .22 Survival rifle (using the Marlin 795 as example) David 32 8,048 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM
  Survival Shotgun David 15 4,308 07-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Bob