Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New BOV
We'll be headed south in that rig from Michigan the end of next week. Going to visit family and friends in the sunshine state for awhile. Been very mild here so far this winter. Hope we can escape before we get hit hard.
(02-03-2016, 12:14 AM)mac66 Wrote: Part II, a simple plan 5 years in the making. My wife finally got her retirement toy...time to hit the road.

[Image: 176bb7a2-a2bb-4c2e-802d-21e0b211e2bf_zpsm485vieh.jpg]

[Image: 76a10a3d-77a9-47b1-8928-1467ef45bbc7_zps22xcioic.jpg]

(02-04-2016, 03:23 AM)mac66 Wrote: The trailer isn't really for bugging out. It's for traveling around the country. We have some property and a cabin in the piney woods as our primary BOL should we have to go somewhere. Traveling around does help us to see what else is out there however.

Good idea about the skid plates, kinda subtle and low profile as well. Going to have to see what's available.

Well my missus is now less impressed with my choice of bugout trailer ex army ammo trailer, at least till i pointed out the price of such a trailer in the euro zone £30,000/$47,700/ 48,000 euros secondhand. Her suggestion was to make sure where one is locally so it can be salvage post SHTF.

As it is we have kitted out our BOL home with alot of salvaged trailer and RV gear fits really well into hi-cube shipping containers.
Had it been my preference I would have gotten a smaller, easier tow trailer. On the other hand I wanted to just convert another van into a camper but the wife didn't want to shack up in a van like back in the 1970s. Being in our 60's now her comfort is more important than my austerity.

Just a note about travel trailers/RVs in general. It has been our experience over the last 30 or so years traveling in them that they do make pretty good BOVs for a number of reasons...

1. They are comfortable and completely self contained including, water, heat, bathrooms, etc. They can also be upgraded to solar, generators etc.

2. Traveling in them opens up your horizons. You discover places that could be potential BOLs

3. There is a whole sub culture of people who live, travel, work etc out of RVs. Those people tend to be free spirited, resourceful and like minded with the ideas of self reliance, freedom and liberty. They are professional grade preppers in a way and are always on the move.

4. The RV lifestyle opens one up to the RV camps and communities that are all over the country. We've been in places in California and Arizona, New Mexico, even in Kentucky where people boondock (free with no hookups) for weeks and months at a time. There are whole communities of people who do this all the time. Many travel from place to place around the country following the seasons. This ranges from hippies in VW buses to million dollar motor homes.

5. RVer tend to be pretty creative when it comes to living on the road, modifiying and upgrading and fixing stuff. They also tend to be very friendly and willing to share info, advice, tips about where to go, where to stay etc, etc. Like I said, they are a community of similar minded people.

My wife and I are looking forward to traveling extensively this year in our new rig. Hope to tap into that RV lifestyle a bit out on the road.
Been on the road now for 3 weeks in my rig. Everything working well. Side tracked for 10 days when my 88 year old dad had a stroke. Fortunately we were close by. He has since been airlifted back to MI and is doing well. We will head back next week.
Very sorry to hear about your father.  Prayers sent!

I remember in the OP you were talking about sticker shock.  We usually keep vehicles for a long time.  My wife's van is 11 years old and my SUV is 8 years old now.  Our philosophy is to drive them till the engine falls out and the tires fall off and then drive them a little further.  So it's been a while since we've had to look at prices.  Recently for grins I looked at a truck commercial (small print) and was floored by the prices!  

Need to keep my vehicles a while longer  Big Grin

Problem is that eventually we'll have to get something.  My son is soon to be 17 and even though we're not allowing him to drive just yet (maybe 35 lol) he'll be driving before we know it.  My wife would like him to have a truck (so would I) so he's higher up and perhaps a bit safer.  We'll see.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
My van was 14 when I got this new truck, so yeah I believe in keeping my stuff running.

Dad is a tough old bird and is now in rehab. Should be sent home in another week. I on the other hand I caught some bug in that hospital and ended up in the ER with pneumonia. I refused to be admitted but am recovering in my trailer on heavy antibiotics. (After conferring by phone with my doctor at home)

As my wife says.."the adventure you sign up for isn't always the one you get."
Am now home. My dad was in Broward CO. North Hosp. North of ft Lauderdale. We found an RV park to stay in close to the Hosp that was almost entirely occupied by people from Québec Canada. That was interesting.

After sending him home we spent a week at another RV park in central FL near my in-laws. This was an old school park full of retirees. Very friendly folks.
Just an update....

my dad was airlifted back to Michigan in February and spend another 6 weeks in the hospital doing rehab, learning to walk etc. He was released in May and continued at home rehab. As of this writing he is up and moving around, can use a walker and even a cane sometimes. He has relearned to use his left hand. He has made remarkable progress physically but still needs 24 hour care. Since he came home my brother and I traded off taking care of him and my mother (who is 89). We eventually had to hire a home care company to watch him at night. We still do rotating 12 hours shifts. He is still unsteady on his feet and cannot yet button shirts, or take a shower etc by himself. The worse thing is that the stroke scrambled his thought processes. He gets disoriented at times and doesn't know if it is day or night. He had no indication of dementia prior to his stroke. This whole thing has been pretty exhausting which is why I haven't posted much.

The good news is my sister just retired this week and will join the rotation to care for them. We are also looking at moving them into a retirement community that has provisions for home care. Parents currently live an hour away from me so a 12 hour shift with a 2 hour drive. The place where we are looking is only half as far for my brother and I and only a couple miles from my sister.

There is a lesson here for all of us ....my dad was overall pretty healthy and active. However, he did have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. He was a bit overweight and was living the good life. He was told he was at risk but didn't think it could happen to him. He thought if he had a stroke at his age it would likely kill him. Well if you are old and it kills you, consider yourself lucky. If you are old and it doesn't kill you, it steals your senses, you dignity and your soul. It is insidious. My dad used to joke and say "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself". Uh....yeah.

So here is a couple tips....

1. if you travel buy trip insurance. Fortunately they bought trip insurance and their health care covered much of the rest. However, it probably cost them about $14K in additional expenses.

2-Take care of your self now. You may live longer than you think.

3. Growing old ain't for sissies. My mom at 89 while more or less healthy is pretty frail and was getting forgetful. My dad was pretty much taking care of her, keeping track of her meds, getting her to appointments etc. He can no longer do that. They were very independent and though I saw them often I had no idea how hard simple things for us are difficult for old people. We pretty much have to do most everything for both of them now.

4. Buy long term care insurance if you can afford it. Homen/nursing care is very, very expensive and will eat through your savings quickly. My parents have a decent pension, a pretty good nest egg, and a very nice condo on the water. They had no worries and were set. They do not have long term care insurance and their current home care will eat through their assets in about 16 months. Yeah, it is that expensive, which is my brother and I are covering 12 hours a day. . They could not afford 24 hr home care at company rates. We are moving them into a upscale retirement community apartment (it is not a nursing home) and selling the condo. They buy into the community and assets from the condo with cover them for the rest of their lives.

5. Having a stroke sucks. The younger you are the better chance you have that you will recover more but you don't to have a want a stroke, ever. If I make it to that age and have a stroke, I want my wife to end it for me. I am thankful my father is still alive but it is very painful to see what he is going through.
Thank you for the update Mac.  Still continuing in prayer for ya'll.  My grandfather suffered through a stroke so I can readily understand all that you're saying.  No other way to put it except that it just sucks.  Hoping that it all works out.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.