Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New BOV
Been helping my friend build his new house this week. He's the guy using Insulated Concrete Forms aka ICF. So my truck has been doing real truck duty hauling loads of lumber for framing, supports etc. The more I work on that house, the more I think ICF is the ultimate prepper house material. Anyway, it's fun to use my truck as a truck.
Been working on getting my BOV bug out road worthy. So far I've been looking at the various F150, offroad/4wd forums. The F150 guys seems to be more into looks than functionality (style over substance). The offroad guys seem to be into big tires and big lifts than practicality. Big tires and lifts tend to affect performance and gas mileage/range.

There is also a interesting forum called Expedition Portal. If you've never seen the Expedition Portal it is guys who outfit vehicles for expeditions like Dakar etc. In reality most of the people on there are posers/wanna bees and tend to go overboard with equipment. However, it is cool to see what the pros do and there are some good ideas there. For some reason the people on that forum are obsessed with roof/safari racks. I've always been of the mind that the less stuff you hang on top or off the sides of a vehicle the less wind resistance you get i.e., gas mileage, the less things there are to break, get knocked off or stolen. They tend to have trucks with plenty of room inside and still insist on putting stuff on top. I can see boats and that kind of thing but not tents, bikes, baggage etc when you could put the stuff inside. Even pick up truck drivers seem to want to put everything on, rather than in their trucks. Makes no sense to me but to each his own.

I tend to be more low key and prefer to fly under the radar with my stuff. I don't put any stickers on my vehicles and am even peeling the 4x4 sticker off my truck to make it seem less than it is.

The following is kinda just thinking out loud...

This brings me to outfitting my pickup truck particularly the bed. It seems most regular pickup truck owners simply use their trucks like big kid hauling cars with really big trunks. Many simply throw a bed/tonneau cover over it to keep the rain and snow out. Others put a topper/raised hard cover over it and use them as work trucks. Others use the topper as shelter (I had an uncle who camped in the back of his truck every year at deer hunting. He had it set up to sleep in and cook in even in cold weather, I always thought that was cool). I have a travel trailer but there are times when high speed, low drag is better. I often camped in my van when I was weekend ATVing or dual sport motorcycle riding. I can see doing the same in back of a pickup and I know they make tents that go in the bed.

I have a large Rubbermade storage bin/chest type thing that I kept stuff in my van. Stuff included blankets, shovels, hatchet, bow saw, jumper cables, tow straps, comealong, 12V air pump, tools, FAK, machete, tiedowns/ratchet straps, bungees, etc, etc. That was pretty easy to transfer over to my truck. I have to figure a way to secure it to keep it from sliding around. One way to do that is with a ratcheting cargo bar. Basically it fits crossways in the bed and keeps stuff from sliding fore and aft. For the time being I have put a bed cover on it to keep out the snow. I may eventually put a topper on it but I'm still new to this pick up truck stuff so we'll see.

In the cab I have what Ford calls a Super Cab which instead of 4 doors, has half doors for the back seat. There is some storage under the seat and a couple of companies make long plastic bins that fit under as well They tend to be pretty expensive IMO ($150-175). Instead, I took a 24" long plastic bin I bought for $9 at Home Depot, split it length ways and put the halves end to end. I then cut down the depth to fit under the seat. I secured them to the seat frame with zip ties. Took me about half an hour to save $150. Holds lots of stuff. That will work for now, though I would like to build a wood one later.

I am not out to build the ultimate BOV, just something that works for me and fits my needs. Those needs include pulling my travel trailer, hauling ATVs, motorcycles, wood and lumber and bugging out if the occasion arises. I expect it to be an evolutionary process. Photos and more later.
Have you thought of fitting a snokel and skid pans to the F150 ?

Our BOV is a landrover defender long wheel base outfitted with there expedition package lifts/snokel/skid pan/winch/roof rack tent etc. We use it for camping to test it out and the lifts/snokel/skid pan have proved invaluable to reach places others cann't which is the point of bugging out.
I don't want to make it too specialized. It's man purpose is for pulling a trailer and hauling stuff. The BOV part is lower on the priority list. Lifts, big tires and other off road stuff tends to take away from it's main purpose. I am trying to strike a balance between practicality and capability.
Part II, a simple plan 5 years in the making. My wife finally got her retirement toy...time to hit the road.

[Image: 176bb7a2-a2bb-4c2e-802d-21e0b211e2bf_zpsm485vieh.jpg]

[Image: 76a10a3d-77a9-47b1-8928-1467ef45bbc7_zps22xcioic.jpg]
Really nice trailer there, Bugout in style. My wife says your wife has good taste.

If you want a normal looking truck i would just go for skid plates we have 3 installed engine / gearbox / fueltank, these where the first upgrade to our BOV. It protects the critical areas if and when you go off road.

The snorkle we got can be put on or taken off in 10 minutes leaving a mesh cover sprayed to match the colour over the hole in the top of the front wing. 2 of the routes to our chosen BOL require fording 2 or more rivers, these routes are our escape and evasion routes they are designed to sucker in and bog down unprepared 4 x 4's if some moron decides to follow us.
The trailer isn't really for bugging out. It's for traveling around the country. We have some property and a cabin in the piney woods as our primary BOL should we have to go somewhere. Traveling around does help us to see what else is out there however.

Good idea about the skid plates, kinda subtle and low profile as well. Going to have to see what's available.
I use a LPC for a bov
What is an LPC ghost?

Sweet rig Mac66, when you and the Missus come this way you have a free spot to park and spend the week in my front yard...
Leather personal carriers
Aka boots.