Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New BOV
Are you planning on getting a shell to secure and cover the truck bed or just going to use tarps ?
Biggest alternator out there.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(01-09-2016, 01:52 PM)Wolfman Wrote: Are you planning on getting a shell to secure and cover the truck bed or just going to use tarps ?

Initially I am getting a tonneau cover. Probably one of the tri-fold soft kind i.e vinyl cover with cross ribs for rigidity.

BTW, the towing package(s) include a heavy duty alternator, trans cooler, bigger mirrors, trailer brake etc, hitch receiver, both 7 pin and 4 pin trailer plugs, heavy duty springs, bed lights, etc.  Everything we used to add to tow vehicles now comes in factory added packages.

Also been looking at tool boxes and storage boxes for the bed. Holy moly are those things expensive.  The bed has a number of tie down points/anchors. I have a number of large heavy duty plastic boxes which I may secure in the bed with those anchors. I also have some Jerry Cans with carriers I used on my Jeep and Bronco. I could secure them in the bed as well though I'm not sure I need extra gas with this thing. It has a 36 gallon tank. On the other hand, pulling a trailer you only get about 9 MPG which is a 324 mile range. With out towing I am averaging 18 MPG on the highway which is 648 mile range.  I am trying to decide what to do with shovels, axes, saws and such which I use to carry on my Jeep and Bronco and in the back of my van. Do I mount them on the sides of the bed or just throw them in the plastic boxes?  Decisions, decisions. This is gonna be fun stuff to play with.

Here it is fresh from the dealer...
[Image: IMG_0792_zpsegdqkzq6.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0793_zpstulxslra.jpg]
Dave,

Maybe we should have a section just for BOVs, transportation, etc. We've had a number of thread on scooters, bicycles, trailers etc used for prepping in the past. Might be fun to compare notes.
(01-10-2016, 03:30 PM)mac66 Wrote: Dave,

Maybe we should have a section just for BOVs, transportation, etc.  We've had a number of thread on scooters, bicycles, trailers etc used for prepping in the past. Might be fun to compare notes.

We actually have one, but after seeing your post I realized it was kinda hidden.  It was in the Camping/hiking/fishing/hunting section as a sub-forum along with navigation and watercraft.  But it wasn't showing up as a sub-forum, my bad.  I relocated it to the Packs/Gear section where it does show up as a sub-forum.  I'll move this thread there as well as any others that are for that area.

Thanks for mentioning that  Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Nice truck Mac66, looks like it has great potential for what ever you want it to become. The Fords are looking good this year...
Biggest issue I'm having is trying to figure out what and how to keep stuff in the back. Being an old van guy I just had everything in bins/storage boxes in the back of my vans. I could pull of the road and live in those vans. This pick up truck thing is too new to me. I am going to have to figure out some type of storage system that I can keep secure and from sliding around. I've seen some drawer system that are uber expensive so I may end up building something myself.

Having said that I can tell you that bicycles will be going in back (when we start traveling again) and I deciding on what else. I have a couple of old Honda Trail 90s I rebuilt a couple years ago. One of them might end up in the back on a semi permanent basis at least while traveling. That thing climbs like a mountain goat and is fun as heck to tool around on though pretty low and slow. Since the wife and I will be doing a lot of exploring and boon docking in the west and woods I want to take one along.

The yellow one is a '69, the red a '71.

[Image: ct90s.jpg]
It would be great to pick up a couple of bikes like that.  Probably get good mileage.  

And this thread is making me want to get another truck!  We've had my wife's van for almost 11 years.  She doesn't drive anymore so it only gets used when I'm off.  For 11 years it only has around 70K miles.  My SUV (small Kia Sportage) is coming up on 7 years old with about the same mileage.  Our philosophy is to drive a vehicle till the wheels fall off and then drive it a little further.  We average 10+ years on a vehicle.  But I've thought that it may be wise to get something new while I'm still working.  I'm figuring perhaps another 4-5 years before I retire depending on how things are going in the world and such.  I've thought that perhaps getting something while the steady paycheck is coming would be wise.  Something to thing about anyway.  Our vehicles have been paid off for many years so it would be kinda hard to have a payment.  Could do it, but really don't want to kind-of-thing.

(01-12-2016, 02:02 PM)David Wrote: It would be great to pick up a couple of bikes like that.  Probably get good mileage.  

And this thread is making me want to get another truck!  We've had my wife's van for almost 11 years.  She doesn't drive anymore so it only gets used when I'm off.  For 11 years it only has around 70K miles.  My SUV (small Kia Sportage) is coming up on 7 years old with about the same mileage.  Our philosophy is to drive a vehicle till the wheels fall off and then drive it a little further.  We average 10+ years on a vehicle.  But I've thought that it may be wise to get something new while I'm still working.  I'm figuring perhaps another 4-5 years before I retire depending on how things are going in the world and such.  I've thought that perhaps getting something while the steady paycheck is coming would be wise.  Something to thing about anyway.  Our vehicles have been paid off for many years so it would be kinda hard to have a payment.  Could do it, but really don't want to kind-of-thing.

I kept my van 16 years. I hope to keep this one that long as well. My other (wife's) vehicle is 8 years old.

Be prepared for sticker shock if you haven't bought anything new in awhile. Be prepared for the UP selling they get you on by putting everything into "packages".  If you want a particular feature you have to buy a whole package. Trim packages, tow packages, convenience packages, entertainment packages, illumination packages etc, etc. I got more needless crap on this truck than I can shake a stick at. By needless crap, I don't mean useless crap. Some of it is nice to have, but not needed. I would never have gotten it except that to get what I needed, I had to order a package with a bunch of stuff I don't need.

It grinds me, but that's the way things are now so I am over it ...almost Wink
Yeah, sticker shock is what I'm worried about. 

Well, some days your the bug and some days your the windshield Big Grin