Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New BOV
Finally bit the bullet and bought a new vehicle. My last new vehicle was a 99 full size Ford van which I just retired. My new one is a 2016 Ford F150 4x4 which is the first pickup I've ever bought. I've been a van guy since the 70s. 

The primary duty for this new truck (I am still staggering from sticker shock BTW) is a tow vehicle for a 28' travel trailer. I was going to get another van but I am building a house on my hunting property and thought a PU with 4WD would be better since it is pretty far back in the piney woods.  Bought the Ford because of employee family discount. Got the upgraded towing package and 3.5L ecoboost engine. That 6 cyl engine has more horse power, more torque and better millage than the 5.4L in my van or the 351 CI in my older vans. Since my wife and I are unlikely to be hauling passengers much I did not get the 4 door but rather the extended cab with half doors. I got the 8 foot bed primarily to haul lumber and my ATV, motorcycles etc. Many if not most new PUs have 4 doors and 6 foot beds.

Now I just have to figure out what else to do with it.

Initially this is what I have planned....
-spray in bed liner (either Line X or Rhinoliner)
-Toneau cover
-need some sort of storage box for tools and emergency stuff for the bed. I have tow straps, come alongs, chains etc from when I had my full size Bronco. This truck has some lockable tie downs in the bed
-I do have a Hi-Lift jack/bracket I had in my Bronco. It isn't really compatible with the types of bumpers and sheet metal on these new truck, though it can also be used as a come along. I don't expect to do much if any offroading in this very expensive truck, but I may figure out a way to mount this in the back just in case.
-center console lock box to keep guns and stuff in.
-mount a 2 meter mobile ham radio and antenna (which I already have though I am thinking of one of the new compact multi band mobiles that are out now).
-Emergency kit-I have a couple survival/supply kits that I kept in my van. They should fit under the back seat of this truck.

Things I am thinking about....for the future.

-Front trailer hitch receiver-It already has a receiver in back (part of the trailer package) but I've been reading about mounting one on the front. That way you can mount a winch on a hitch plate and move it from back to front  as needed.
-Back Rack which is a metal rack behind the cab that protect the rear window and allows lights and other stuff to be mounted on it. When I ran a college public safety dept we had a couple pick up trucks w/Back Racks we mounted overheads, spotlights and antennas on. They were handy. You can also adapt them for kayaks, boats, etc if you need that stuff up out of the bed.

Other stuff...

Open to suggestions.
Congrats on the new truck... enjoy
Very nice!

I like your thoughts on that back rack for mounting lights.  In some situations having a lot of light is a very good thing.  Perhaps some type of mounting system for long guns to be carried safely/easy which also protects them.  

What color is the truck?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
On the thoughts of trucks, I replaced my 13 yr old Tacoma quad cab PU this summer ( couldn't believe they gave me 12k for a 13 yr toyota with 100k )

Bought the same thing only a 2015 model...

I like the idea of the back window rack too, the new bed is not steel, hard to find a place for my 8ft+ antenna with its large magnetic mount... rack may help.
Def it needs some sort of bed liner so I don't beat it up.
Congrats
(01-07-2016, 02:44 PM)David Wrote: Very nice!

I like your thoughts on that back rack for mounting lights.  In some situations having a lot of light is a very good thing.  Perhaps some type of mounting system for long guns to be carried safely/easy which also protects them.  

What color is the truck?

The truck is silver. I kind of wanted a light color for use in hot climates. Drove across the desert in a dark blue vehicle in the summer one time and the AC couldn't keep it cool. Same time, same place, same temp in light colored (light tan) vehicle and had to turn the AC down.

This is the rack I was talking about. Actually called a Back Rack and they have a number of different styles.

[Image: backrack_small1_zpsesrwdmo1.jpg]

In regards to bed liners....the spray in kind seems to be the best as the plastic set in kind tends to rub the paint bare and traps water/condensation under. Of the spray in kind, from my research Line X and Rhino liner have the best reputations. Most who use high pressure heated applications pretty much use the same material i.e, the stuff they spray is the same. The biggest difference is how they prep the bed and the reputation of the dealer. I could have gotten it done at the factory (expensive) or through the Ford dealer (expensive). Instead I found out who they use and went directly to who them after checking out both Line X and Rhino in my area. The guy I am using uses Line X product, has a great reputation and is $50 cheaper than anyone else.
I like it quite a bit.  I agree on the light color in hot climates.  You learn that quickly in Florida!  That back rack looks good and will offer quite a range of options.  I also like it as it does offer protection on the back window.  A lot could be improvised with it if it ever became necessary.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
BTW, if all goes well my new truck will be pulling my trailer south including Florida in mid February to get out of the cold weather. The bed is being spray lined today and the tonneau cover is on order. Not sure, when/if I'll get the back rack.
Battery bank
(01-09-2016, 02:54 AM)Bob Wrote: Battery bank

By that you mean what?

I built my first shaggin wagon van back in the 70s and a number of camper type vans since then. All of them had auxiliary batteries like you would find in travel trailers.

This truck has a built in 110 inverter and about half a dozen 12V sockets.