Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass along a tip
Dave,you find that link.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
A dull knife is a useless, dangerous paperweight. Learn to sharpen and hone your edged tools!

I carry a DMT serrated edge RED fine ice pick style sharpener. Fits MOST common serrations, as well as sharpens any plain edge. A round ceramic rod will hone your edges, and both tools are very lightweight!

REMEMBER...unless you're really good at sharpening and honing, an edge that costs $400 made out of some super stainless is what?? A DULL KNIFE!

Canterbury is right when it comes to bush steel for the most part. His YT video called KNIVES JMHO is a good guide...but his promotion of the idea that you don't need a large woods knife in the eastern woodlands is flawed.

Your knife must be suited to you and the task at hand, or it's just like your EDC firearm. You won't carry it.

This premise applies to axes, saws, hatchets etc. Any survival cutting tool must be properly sharpened and maintained. Makes the work easier and more enjoyable!
"As a matter of Survival, ALL. CREATURES ARE FAIR GAME!"

Les Stroud Big Grin

Special snowflakes will be melted and consumed...I need to stay hydrated!

Big Grin
Snuff cans (smokeless tobacco). If you don't dip, find a friend who does. All brands of snuff are plastic containers with snug fitting lids, except Copenhagen which is waxed cardboard. When emptied and cleaned out they are free containers for dang near everything you can think of. I have at least two dozen in my GHB filled with fishing materials, fire starters, sewing kit, you name it. They take up almost no space at all, and a small piece of duct tape around the rim will keep them waterproof.

For hiding things in plain sight they are a must have. Carry one or two in your pockets, fill the console of your car with half a dozen, scatter them around your house. They are good for holding silver/gold coins and placing in the fridge. You can also buy them in "sleeves" of 5 and 10 which come wrapped inside a plastic "sleeve", hence the name. Carefully remove them from the sleeve, cut the entire bottoms out of all except the bottom can then reinsert them back into the original plastic sleeve. Remove the lids from all but the top can, and presto, you have an 8 to 9 inch cylinder which can hold money, important documents, etc. Keep in the pantry or the fridge. I have done this for years.
(11-05-2016, 08:43 PM)Cougar90 Wrote: Snuff cans (smokeless tobacco).  If you don't dip, find a friend who does.  All brands of snuff are plastic containers with snug fitting lids, except Copenhagen which is waxed cardboard.  When emptied and cleaned out they are free containers for dang near everything you can think of.  I have at least two dozen in my GHB filled with fishing materials, fire starters, sewing kit, you name it.  They take up almost no space at all, and a small piece of duct tape around the rim will keep them waterproof.

For hiding things in plain sight they are a must have.  Carry one or two in your pockets, fill the console of your car with half a dozen, scatter them around your house.  They are good for holding silver/gold coins and placing in the fridge.  You can also buy them in "sleeves" of 5 and 10 which come wrapped inside a plastic "sleeve", hence the name.  Carefully remove them from the sleeve, cut the entire bottoms out of all except the bottom can then reinsert them back into the original plastic sleeve.  Remove the lids from all but the top can, and presto, you have an 8 to 9 inch cylinder which can hold money, important documents, etc.  Keep in the pantry or the fridge.  I have done this for years.

Gotta give this tip the thumbs up  Smile

I've been doing this for a few years now and they really are a fantastic, handy container.  Cougar, if you look in the DIY section of the board you'll see my thread on DIY fire-starter wafers. They fit perfectly in a tin!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Plastic baggies - empty extra ones; snack, sandwich, and gallon size -

store tinder and keep it dry when you find it (wet tinder sucks, in case you didn't know
bag that iPhone in the rain
fill gallon bag with 1/2 liter of water
organize all sorts of things

we can go on for a whole three page thread.
(11-06-2016, 04:33 PM)David Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 08:43 PM)Cougar90 Wrote: Snuff cans (smokeless tobacco).  If you don't dip, find a friend who does.  All brands of snuff are plastic containers with snug fitting lids, except Copenhagen which is waxed cardboard.  When emptied and cleaned out they are free containers for dang near everything you can think of.  I have at least two dozen in my GHB filled with fishing materials, fire starters, sewing kit, you name it.  They take up almost no space at all, and a small piece of duct tape around the rim will keep them waterproof.

For hiding things in plain sight they are a must have.  Carry one or two in your pockets, fill the console of your car with half a dozen, scatter them around your house.  They are good for holding silver/gold coins and placing in the fridge.  You can also buy them in "sleeves" of 5 and 10 which come wrapped inside a plastic "sleeve", hence the name.  Carefully remove them from the sleeve, cut the entire bottoms out of all except the bottom can then reinsert them back into the original plastic sleeve.  Remove the lids from all but the top can, and presto, you have an 8 to 9 inch cylinder which can hold money, important documents, etc.  Keep in the pantry or the fridge.  I have done this for years.

I've been doing this for a few years now and they really are a fantastic, handy container.  Cougar, if you look in the DIY section of the board you'll see my thread on DIY fire-starter wafers. They fit perfectly in a tin!

I've done the same thing David.  All our bags have at least two cans filled with fire starter.  If I remember correctly, I used dryer lint and shredded paper in the snuff can then poured in the melted wax with a few drops of lamp oil.  Instead of using the wafers I just spoon out about 1/4 of the dried mixture and add it to my tender.  

Also, instead of buying wax I use two things that are readily available to me at work for free.  We stock cases and cases of toilet wax rings that we get for like 10 cents each.  They're nothing but wax and they melt just fine.  The other is crayons.  At the end of the school year all the teachers in the school system save me their buckets of broken crayons and I collect them to use for candle making.  Yeah, I'm cheap like that.  Smile
I like to say that it isn't being cheap, it's being frugal  Wink

And yep, I've got a big batch of crayons from when my son was young.  Comes in handy and adds a bit of color to your tinder  Big Grin

Shortening like Crisco can be used as well and from the YT videos I've seen a large can of shortening with an added wick is suppose to burn for like a month or more.  Great emergency candle.  I've got a video on it somewhere, maybe the DIY section.

A few years back when my boys were younger, we killed half a dozen big fat rabbits down in the lower pasture one Saturday afternoon. After dressing them out we scrapped all the fat off the meat and skins and put the whole mess in a baby food jar. After boiling it down we made a candle from it (still in the baby food jar) and added a wick. Actually worked really, really well but the whole house smelled like Rosy O'Donnells' breath. Mamma made a new rule that day for me and the boys.
Save dryer lint and the cotton that comes out of supplement bottles.  Each makes great tinder to get a fire started.  As mentioned previously, add a bit of vasaline or lip stick to extend the flame.  Also can be used in cardboard egg cartoons or toilet paper rolls with some wax to make a great fire-starter or fuel tab.

See the DIY section for videos.

(11-06-2016, 10:49 PM)Cougar90 Wrote:
(11-06-2016, 04:33 PM)David Wrote:

I've done the same thing David.  All our bags have at least two cans filled with fire starter.  If I remember correctly, I used dryer lint and shredded paper in the snuff can then poured in the melted wax with a few drops of lamp oil.  Instead of using the wafers I just spoon out about 1/4 of the dried mixture and add it to my tender.  

Also, instead of buying wax I use two things that are readily available to me at work for free.  We stock cases and cases of toilet wax rings that we get for like 10 cents each.  They're nothing but wax and they melt just fine.  The other is crayons.  At the end of the school year all the teachers in the school system save me their buckets of broken crayons and I collect them to use for candle making.  Yeah, I'm cheap like that.  Smile

I have some filled with Vaseline soaked cotton balls. Also a good place to keep some 22lr's. I have an old Marlin Model 60, the tube fed rifle. I can load it three times with what I can fit into a Skoals can.