Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass along a tip
Lightbulb 
Here's a good opportunity to pass along a tip to like-minded folks.  Post a tip or video or article or whatever you think would be helpful to folks.

Smile 

When I'm out camping (usually remote and as primitive as possible) I like to carry one of those small plastic pencil sharpeners we use to use in school.  The kind you can pick up in a 12 pack in the dollar store for a buck.  I toss one in my fire kit and use it on small twigs to get some really fine shavings for my bird nest.  I've used this and a ferro rod to get a fire going and it works pretty well.  Cheap, light and takes up very little space.  Usually in a nice bright color as well for easy visibility.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Paracord/zipties.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Got a roll of glow-in-the-dark duct tape at Wallyworld.  Put a strip around the ends of several of my flashlights, one of which I keep on the nightstand.  It actually works well and is still softly visible even in the early morning.  Especially after you have your night vision.  Very handy if the lights go out as it beats fumbling around for a flashlight or if you need it to check out that late night bump-in-the-night.

Mag lite bulbs 2a type will work in streamlight scorpion type models.Most leo around here use surefire models and it's hard to find parts for other brands local.'08.

(07-13-2015, 09:36 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: Mag lite bulbs 2a type will work in streamlight scorpion type models.Most leo around here use surefire models and it's hard to find parts for other brands local.'08.

Speaking of Maglites, in the 'Lighting' section is a thread on how to convert the old incandescent bulb ML's to Niteize LED.  It is stupid-simple and cost about $7 if you have a 20% Harbor Freight coupon.  The light is MUCH brighter, whiter and cleaner (no rings).  And the run time should be dramatically increased which is a huge bonus!

And if you drop the light, or whack a bad guy with it you don't have to worry about the incandescent bulb breaking. 

I've converted all of my ML's and I'm really impressed with the performance now.

Maybe I'm a caveman,I like the beam the mags throw.They are home only units,we all carry 6ps or sls.I know they can be "improved" with market wide upgrades.I prefer a baton for adjustments of attitude,I carry a 21in heavy asp s/s.'08. Angel

Have a comfortable pair of shoes in the trunk just in case you break down and need to take the 'shoe leather express'.

All I wear is boots,my wife keeps some for her and the kid in whatever car she's driving.I work for a cab co,she won't be stuck long.'08.

Invest in 2 army ponchos and a poncho liner. They don't take up much room and have almost unlimited uses. And a good wool blanket is a great addition to this system.

If your going to buy some paracord, always try the auction on EBay. I've scored some great deals with that feature.
Carry a Bic, Zippo or peanut lighter.  Even if you aren't a smoker they can come in handy.  The ability to make and sustain a fire can be crucial in an emergency situation.
  • Signal for rescue
  • Disinfect water
  • Regulate core body temperature
  • Cook food
  • Psychological comfort
  • And a lot more