Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Firestarter Wafer
Video 

I've made them and they work amazing! Water proof and they have a hot burn time of 5+ minutes. Only difference from the video is that I dip each one instead of every other one. I think it works better personally. I got the cotton rounds at Dollar Tree for $1 and the candles to melt for $1 so each wafer is only pennies to make. And it was easy. This is now my standard tinder instead of cotton balls and vasaline (which work well...but this is quite a bit better). 

Couple of updates on this DIY project. First, I found out that our local Publix carries Gulf Wax which is a pound block of paraffin wax. So I'm going to make a batch using and compare it with the ones I've already made. It was less than $4 for a pound of wax.

Secondly, I have several buddies at work that dip tobacco so they give me all of their empty tins. These are the perfect size for 5 or 6 wafers or the little one-inch tube-style ones I've also made. Got the tube cotton from Jo Ann's Fabrics. It was 6 yards or 1/2 inch thick cotton tubing for like $3 with a 40% off coupon.

So a complete tin of fire-starting wafers or tubes costs only pennies to make. I LIKE that. Plus the cotton afterwards turns into char cloth that will catch a spark so it's like getting two (or more) fires from the same starter.

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
In the second video it was mentioned mixing lamp oil with the wax. Have you found an advantage to doing that? I have used paraffin for years on various types of fire starters dryer lint, egg cartons, rolled newspaper, sawdust, cotton balls and a lot of stuff that didn't work so good. I really like the store-ability of the wafers.
I started adding a teaspoon of lamp oil to my wafers last year.  Makes it even easier to light up.  One of the things that needs to be done is to only dip every other cotton round in the melted wax/lamp oil.  Then stack them and then press them down.  This allows the whole stack to be impregnated with the wax/oil but not overly so.  That way when you rip them you can easily fluff up some cotton from the inside.  The lamp oil just ensures a quick lite up from a ferro rod or flint and steel, even from a small spark.

And these wafers fit perfectly in either a chewing tobacco tin or shoe polish tin.  And remember, if you can save it from the fire after you've got the fire going it makes great char cloth as well.  So you have the possibility of additional fires from the same wafer.  That's a big plus in my book!

Update:  As mentioned in another thread, I was doing a fire-making demonstration for my nieces a couple of weeks ago.  I used one of these DIY wafers I made, probably a couple of years ago and it fired up perfectly.  Nice to know that they don't have much of an expiration date on them.  Lit it with a stroke of the ferro rod.

Good stuff!