Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midland X-Talker T51VP3
Way back in March I had an anniversary at work.  It was one of those milestone anniversaries and they give you one of those catalogs you can order a gift from.  Well my wife (of course) ordered something but it never arrived.  We forgot all about it until we were cleaning out some boxes and came across the catalog.  Called them up and found out the item she ordered was discontinued so they let us order something else.  Well this time I ordered something!

For grins I ordered (and received) the Midland X-Talker.  22 channels as well as NOAA channels and alerts.  Came with the rechargable battery packs and can also be operated on 3xAAA primaries if needed.  Came with two in the package.  Has channel scan, monitor mode, silent operation, call alert, 3 eVOX levles (don't know what that means).  28 mile range (if on open water or rural areas with good line-of-sight).

Don't know how 'good' this is as far as some of the radios we've talked about...but it was free so I figured it couldn't be all bad.

Thoughts welcome.  I figure it is a step into the world of handheld radios?

This isn't where I got them but is a link to the same thing:

Midland X-Talker
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Under a mile would be my guess/reliable.Look at GT,there is a Baofeng radio thread.You can app a phone and turn it inta a 2 wayI prefer non batt packed units.Charge 2as/whatever and rotate.Batt packs/charging stands tend to be inclusive.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Yes... prob not more than a mile.. By law they are only 500mw and must have a fixed antenna.
Good thing is the AA battery option. Always like an option for primary cells or 12v input cables

Good rule of thumb is 1 mile per watt ( +/- )

As to Boafeng, good for the price, work well but just not as tough as some commercial units (priced much higher ). But cheap enough to just buy spares.
I got it rt, I'm proud of myself.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
eVox is hands free operation. You radio set also has a simple form of encryption. That is a good point to point radioset for LOS comms, if you are in hilly country the range is greatly reduced..
(12-27-2015, 04:28 AM)Tsquare Wrote: eVox is hands free operation. You radio set also has a simple form of encryption. That is a good point to point radioset for LOS comms, if you are in hilly country the range is greatly reduced..

The only hills in Florida are red ant mounds  Big Grin
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(12-27-2015, 03:37 PM)David Wrote:
(12-27-2015, 04:28 AM)Tsquare Wrote: eVox is hands free operation. You radio set also has a simple form of encryption. That is a good point to point radioset for LOS comms, if you are in hilly country the range is greatly reduced..

The only hills in Florida are red ant mounds  Big Grin

You need to take a trip to the area around Tallahassee.  Not mountain size but hilly enough to screw with LOS comms.