Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario - inconvenient to worse case
Exclamation 
I wanted to start a series of discussions in which we could discuss various preps and pre-planning for different situations. In this way, perhaps we can see something we've missed ourselves or help others to see a bigger picture to consider. I'd like to start off with a few scenarios, from fairly common to worse case, and see if we're prepared and to what extent. The more folks to participate the bigger picture can be painted.

Note that I'm detailing some things more specifically while leaving other details a bit more nebulous. The reason is two-fold; There are typical things that could and do happen all the time. Good to see what others have done to mitigate these events. But I've also left some things more wide open to see a bigger picture from folks in different locales. For example, in scenario two I said it is either too hot or too cold. This depends on what is more likely for YOU. And it could easily be either or both. Some locations like the dessert are blistering hot in the day and bitterly cold at night. Reasonable that one would have to prep for both.

Scenario One - Inconvenient:

You've gotten a flat tire and have pulled over to the side of the highway. Your vehicle is in good shape and you have plenty of gas but you picked up a nail in the side wall of one the tires and now it's a pancake. It's later in the evening and starting to get dark. You've got plenty of juice in your cell phone and you've got good reception. The nearest exit is only a mile or so up the highway and you're pretty sure you just passed a sign saying it has the usual fast food joints and gas stations. The weather is clear and not particularly too cold or too hot. You have a good spare and (hopefully) know how to use it.

What's your game plan?

Scenario Two - Starting to kinda suck:

Same scenario as above, but some factors have changed. Nearest exit, if you remember the last sign right, is about ten miles up the road. You're not sure if it's an exit with the usual civilization or not. It's really hot or really cold or it's starting to piss down rain (whatever is typical for your local). Cell phone reception is iffy. Instead of a flat tire, the car overheated for some reason.

What's your game plan?

Scenario Three - Worse Case:

Similar to the scenarios above but the factors have changed dramatically. Or on the side of the road because something has happened to make your vehicle (and any others in the area) inoperable (could be a really bad storm made the roads impassible, mud slide buried the road, bridge collapsed, snow storm or what the heck, an EMP went off and fried all the cars). Point being that you're on the side of the road, vehicle has crapped out (either permanently or for a really extended time), your 30 miles from home and conditions suck (either due to weather, dark, potential mobs or whatever).

What's your game plan?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Folding bike,for a break down.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Katrina come to mind for a bad scenario. Situational awareness is important. If a big storm is on the way, head to your bug-out location. For things that cannot be predicted you have to rely on your preparations and plans.

David, for your EMP scenario I have a pre-electronic ignition vehicle with an extra set of points and condenser stored with tools in an old ammo can in the car. The ammo can works as a Faraday cage so if the EMP is strong enough to damage the condenser I have a spare in a secure place. Realize that an EMP spike is a lot like lightening, it is fairly unpredictable. A car that is not in operation may or may not be affected. A car with points and condenser are not as susceptible as computerized or electronic ignitions but a large EMP can take it out. A car in a garage or parking deck is more protected than one out in the open. For the EMP if you do have a running vehicle, fuel is going to be your limiting factor.
We have 2 emp trucks,my jeep wagoner and my f250,we have 4 sets of spare elec parts.Alts/starters and for the jeep,points/condenser even 2 ready to install dist.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(07-12-2015, 01:11 PM)David Wrote: Scenario One - Inconvenient:

You've gotten a flat tire and have pulled over to the side of the highway. Your vehicle is in good shape and you have plenty of gas but you picked up a nail in the side wall of one the tires and now it's a pancake. It's later in the evening and starting to get dark. You've got plenty of juice in your cell phone and you've got good reception. The nearest exit is only a mile or so up the highway and you're pretty sure you just passed a sign saying it has the usual fast food joints and gas stations. The weather is clear and not particularly too cold or too hot. You have a good spare and (hopefully) know how to use it.

What's your game plan?

Call home and let the family know where I am and what has happened. Since it's getting dark I break out some preps I picked up at various places. One is a reflective vest from Harbor Freight. I want to be as visible as possible if I'm changing a tire on the side of the road. To this end, I also bought some reflective tape from Walmart and put it on several different items in the prep kit. I'd place these a bit further down on the side of the road in the direction of oncoming traffic to give drivers a heads up. I'm not talking a mile down the road, but it isn't much to place these items in stages up to a couple of hundred feet down the road. Then I'd change the tire, pack up and be on my way.

Quote:Scenario Two - Starting to kinda suck:

Same scenario as above, but some factors have changed. Nearest exit, if you remember the last sign right, is about ten miles up the road. You're not sure if it's an exit with the usual civilization or not. It's really hot or really cold or it's starting to piss down rain (whatever is typical for your local). Cell phone reception is iffy. Instead of a flat tire, the car overheated for some reason.

What's your game plan?

First I attempt to repair the car and drive on. If that does not work I grab my bag, gear and boots from the back of my Jeep and hike the 10 miles checking my phone reception along the way.

Quote:Scenario Three - Worse Case:

Similar to the scenarios above but the factors have changed dramatically. Or on the side of the road because something has happened to make your vehicle (and any others in the area) inoperable (could be a really bad storm made the roads impassible, mud slide buried the road, bridge collapsed, snow storm or what the heck, an EMP went off and fried all the cars). Point being that you're on the side of the road, vehicle has crapped out (either permanently or for a really extended time), your 30 miles from home and conditions suck (either due to weather, dark, potential mobs or whatever).

What's your game plan?

A lot will depend on exactly what put conditions into the 'extreme' column. If it's weather related, and it is safe to stay with the vehicle to ride out whatever it is, then that is the safe bet. In such a situation help may be on the way in a matter of hours. If not, well it depends on the time of day and the conditions. Could be the best bet to stay in the vehicle if night is approaching and using it for shelter then heading out in the morning when you've rested.

If it is a situation where it is unsafe to stay with the vehicle (say perhaps civil unrest) then best to bug out of the area while maintaining a low profile.

If the vehicle is inoperative, as are others, and help just isn't on the way due to the situation then it looks like the shoe leather express. To this end, I have water in the vehicle for a short period of time along with various powders to replenish electrolytes. I really don't have anything in the way of food in the vehicle on a normal basis. I'll need to address that now that I come to think about it as I type this (one of the reasons I started this thread is it helps you think things through will cool, calm and collected). Plenty of gear for making shelter, staying warm or cool, starting a fire, signaling for rescue, collecting water and making it safe etc.

(07-29-2015, 03:27 PM)Tsquare Wrote: Katrina come to mind for a bad scenario. Situational awareness is important. If a big storm is on the way, head to your bug-out location. For things that cannot be predicted you have to rely on your preparations and plans.

David, for your EMP scenario I have a pre-electronic ignition vehicle with an extra set of points and condenser stored with tools in an old ammo can in the car. The ammo can works as a Faraday cage so if the EMP is strong enough to damage the condenser I have a spare in a secure place. Realize that an EMP spike is a lot like lightening, it is fairly unpredictable. A car that is not in operation may or may not be affected. A car with points and condenser are not as susceptible as computerized or electronic ignitions but a large EMP can take it out. A car in a garage or parking deck is more protected than one out in the open. For the EMP if you do have a running vehicle, fuel is going to be your limiting factor.

Good information to know.

Been a while, btt.

1. AAA, use cell phone and wait in car

2. AAA, flag motorist, walk to next exit. I have rain gear, water, sunscreen/shade. Travel when cool/warm as appropriate.

3. See #2, except use my map and compass to plot nearest civilization and go cross country.

I have my main bag in my car, and survival food. Probably a firearm. I'm golden for 72 hours and a 60 mile trip by foot.
1. agree with Bob, AAA

2. again agree with Bob, AAA (although because of post on here, I have the ability to patch tires and re-inflate them in my vehicles now)

3. If it is weather related, will stay in the vehicle til storm passes or daylight comes; have blankets, sleeping bag, and GHB in the vehicles, so can stay in the vehicle and wait it out; mob action, depending where we are at, may be best to flee with EDC and GHB to get away from the crowd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social unrest or worse? David 51 2,259 10-19-2018, 05:53 PM
Last Post: bmyers
Exclamation Scenario #3 - inconvenient to worse case David 13 4,169 07-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: ric0123
Exclamation Scenario #2 - inconvenient to worse case David 6 1,948 07-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kirgi08