Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your EDC flashlight
Lightbulb 
Hi, my name is David and I'm a flashoholic Idea

I used to think a mini-Maglite was a great little light!  Times have changed and so have my views on flashlights.  I have a bunch of flashlights and will very likely get more.  I've had the opportunity to pick the brains of folks who know a lot more about flashlights than I do and now I have a fair understanding of batteries, LED's, drivers etc and have even modded several flashlights.  Yay me Tongue 

For my on-my-person EDC I carry two different flashlights on a separate keychain from my car/house keys.  I carry a Fenix E05 and an Acebeam L10.  This gives me an AAA light and an AA light. 

Fenix E05

[Image: AttT9og__91028.1430841108.1280.1280.png?c=2]

◦High: 85 Lumens (Ni-MH: 1 hour; Alkaline: 45 min.)
◦Mid: 25 Lumens (Ni-MH: 4 hours 15 min.; Alkaline: 4 hours 15 min.)
◦Low: 8 Lumens (Ni-MH: 14 hours 30 min.; Alkaline: 15 hours)

Acebeam L10

[Image: SKU173580b.JPG]

Brand: Acebeam
Material: Aviation aluminum
Product Type: Mini FlashLight
Color: Black
Quantity: 1
Features
LED: Cree XP-G R5 LED with lifespan of 50,000 hours Max output 120lumens (1*AA
NiMh or Alkaline battery )
Output Modes (select by twisting head)
Mode 1: Firefly 0.09lms (147hour)
Mode 2: Low 30lms (13hour)
Mode 3: High 120lms (1hour&30min)
Mode 4: Strobe 120lms With Memory Function
Working Voltage : 1.5V
Impact resistance:1.2Meters Waterproof to IPX-8 standard
Size: 79mm(length)x17mm(head diameter)x17mm(tube diameter)
Weight: 20g(without battery)
Made of durable aircraft grade aluminum Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-
abrasive finish Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating Copper
base plate for more efficient heat Shiny smooth reflector and get perfect beam

I use a pocket suspension clip to keep them from bunging up in the bottom of my pocket.  Bought them for 79 cents on Ebay.

[Image: p7_suspension_clip.jpg]
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I am recently getting back into carrying a light every day. I have chosen a streamlight microstream. It's not super powerful, but will shock the eyes if necessary. Mostly it's great for daily tasks. It's small and convenient to carry. Also cheap enough to not cry over if lost.
Thumbs Up 
Here is the one I carry on my car keychain, I've had it for about six months and it gets knocked around and keeps going strong.  Takes either an AA or 14500 battery.  Can't be beat for $3.

Cree Super Light

I've purchased three Convoy S2+ flashlights.  One is 7135*3, the next is 7135*4 and the last is 7135*8.  What this means is the amount of 7135 chips on the driver, which affects the amps that are drawn.  The *3 draws just a tad over 1 amp, the *4 is 1.4 amps and the *8 is 2.8 amps. 

Approximate on-paper run times:

7135*3

High 1050mA = 2 hours 47 minutes

Medium 420mA = 6 hours 2 minutes

Low 52.5mA = 49.5

7135*4 

High 1400 mA = 2 hours 25 minutes

Medium 560mA = 5 hours 4 minutes

Low 70mA = 37 hours 14 minutes.

7135*8

High 2800 mA = 1 hour

Medium 840mA = 3 hours 10 minutes

Low 140mA = 18 hours 57 minutes.

Keep in mind that actual run times will probably 90% of the specs listed above. But that's still pretty excellent in my opinion. Not sure the actual lumens going from 1050mA to 1400 mA to 2800mA? The 1050mA is listed at either 490 or 500.

Ali Express

Anyone else carry an EDC light?  

The CREE Super Light in the above link has ended unfortunately.  It's gone up a couple of bucks:

CREE Super Light

Still worth the $5 though.  The little crab claw clasp will break on you but a simple ring is the best way to go on these anyway.  Mine are still going strong, all of them (Fenix E05, Acebeam L10 and Super Light).

EDC light

1. every keychain has a microlight.
2. every knock about jacket/suitcase has a light in it
3. multiple lights in the car
4. Dave introduced me to the Sipik sk98 18650 light and its variants which can also take AA batteries. Have 5-6 sitting on the file cabinet in my home office.
5. I have a pile (probably 10 of the Sipik sk68) - some picked up as cheap as $.99. They are given to relatives as gifts.
6. My "solid" lights are McGee Engineering units.
7. I dance, so a light goes into every dance bag.

You never know when you need a light. I was on a Southwest flight and used my Surefire edc light light to help an engineer fix some part in the cabin. I was at a dance in rural Mississippi when there was a power failure at a dance one night.

Dave - I did find the keyring lights that you referenced. Have a bid in for 8 units at $2.60 a unit delivered. Will end up paying more, of coures.
Mine's still going strong BD.  And it gets knocked around quite a bit so I'm pretty impressed with it so far.  Good luck in the auction!

And yeah....Sipik baby! Big Grin 

Ya gotta try out the Convoy S2+ lights.  Usually less than $15 and are simply fantastic. 

Convoy S2+ link

This is the company that actually makes them.  The maker's name is Simon.  I've got three of them (7135*3, *4 and *8 which is the number of chips on the driver). 

Here are the approximate run times on the 7135*3 Convoy S2+:

High 1050mA = 2 hours 47 minutes (500 lumens)

Medium 420mA = 6 hours 2 minutes (200 lumens)

Low 52.5mA = 49.5 (25 lumens)

Ok. I ordered 4 of the Bright Lights. Specific usage will be to place them on back up sets of keys at a remote location. The keys won't be used too often, but the concept required more than the button micro lights already on the rings.

I did pick up a Convoy 2. Still, I will be relying upon McGee Engineering lights for serious work. Ordered another sipik sk98 knockoff. Why? I don't know - just to have another one.
I'm thinking about selling my CR123 lights and going all AAA. Just for consolidation reasons. I'm not a " more power" kinda guy. I just like good light with solid runtime. I'll probably put my Surefires in the sale section soon.
(09-12-2015, 02:41 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: I'm thinking about selling my CR123 lights and going all AAA. Just for consolidation reasons. I'm not a " more power" kinda guy. I just like good light with solid runtime. I'll probably put my Surefires in the sale section soon.

That's why I really like lights like the Convoy S2+ (the 7135*3) listed above.  25 lumens is plenty of light for many tasks and you've got great run times.  And if you need brighter it's available.  From a prepping perspective I go with max run time over max lumens.  

If you like the AAA lights, Thrunite Ti3 has great run times.  Or the Fenix E05, a bit less bright than the Ti3 but also great run times.  The Ti3 has a great firefly mode.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Corrosion in EDC Flashlight A3M0N 10 265 04-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Last Post: bdcochran
  The importance of a good flashlight David 7 1,170 03-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Last Post: David
Video Survival flashlight David 2 1,881 07-28-2015, 02:48 AM
Last Post: David