Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many CR123 lights do you currently have?
I know this battery's days are numbered - but dang….I have a couplem of G2's and a P6 from Surefire that I love….
Up until yesterday....none.  Then yesterday saw two eagerly expected packages from Racer come in the mail.  I purchased from his 'garage sale' down in the B/S/T section.  Nitecore SRT3 and two Thrunite Neutron 1C lights.  So now I've got three CR123 lights.  

And WOW are they nice!  I jumped on the SRT3 with both feet when he offered it.  I've been looking at this light since it came out but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $.  His sale was a deal I just couldn't pass up and I'm very happy with it so far.  As a bonus, it comes with the AA extension tube.  This is important to me as it really fits in with my prepper objectives.  Now this light can be powered four different ways;  CR123A, RCR123A (16340), AA or 14500.  I very much like that!  CR123A's are a fairly common battery that can be picked up at places like WM and Lowes.  Surefire CR123A's at Lowes are like 2 for $5.  AA of course is common and I have a plethora of Eneloop AA batteries.  I've also got the 14500 batteries and this maximizes the light just like the 16340 batteries.  I like the different modes that it has and the output.  For me, I really like the beacon, SOS and firefly modes.  Very useful from a prepper perspective imo.  Beacon/SOS/strobe imo are essential features in an EDC light.  And EDC light should have at least one of those features and the SRT has all three that can be accessed one-handed.  That's gold!

I gave one of the Thrunite Neutron 1C's to my son for his EDC light (one of them, he also has a Fenix E05 on his keychain and I'm going to offer him a choice of either an SK68 or ML XL50).  It is CR123A-only but he'll carry a spare battery with him plus the above back up for the 2-is-1 mantra.  And it has some very nice features including the SOS and strobe.  Plus it has firefly and turbo so the range of light is covered.

I've started to order good rechargeable RCR123A (16340) to build up my inventory as my hope is for these lights to last for years to come.

BTW, I carry the Convoy S2+ as a second primary EDC like to back up the SRT.  Here's my reasonng;  the Convoy is an excellent 18650 flashlight and I always recommend it (thread in this section on the Convoy).  And I'll carry a second 18650 battery as well.  But I like having a flashlight that uses commonly found batteries as well so this is where the SRT comes in.  Both are tough, well made lights.

BTW2, if you think I know a lot about flashlights, Racer knows even more!  Check out his garage sale in the B/S/T section.  The man is a flashlight guru!  And he's got some great deals.

Smile
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I've started to order good rechargeable RCR123A (16340) to build up my inventory as my hope is for these lights to last for years to come.

I run a bunch of 16340s for some wireless cameras at the home... tested about 6 brands and settled on Nitecore ( due to quality and good price at time )

Word to the wise , don't buy the cheap china cells 1) they are vastly overated in mahr  2 ) many don't have a PCB which prevent over/under charge-drain and creates a possible fire damage.

In a 3.7v li-ion 16340/123 type cell , it is physically impossible to get more chemistry in that size package that will have more than about 750 mahr
Chinese mAh are like Chinese lumens  Big Grin

Cut it in half and if you're lucky it might be kinda-sorta close.  And yeah, do not trust them safety-wise!

Thanks for the kind words! I probably still have 4 or 5 of this type of light, including a first run Nitecore EX10 Piston that I got from Boaz on BLF. Theoretically this type of switch lasts forever, where a clicky switch eventually wears out.

There are still good cheap Chinese cells as long as you don't get fakes. Some of my 5 year old Chinese TF flames beat some of the newer cells like AW on my Opus analyzing charger. Why wonder how good your cells are when you can measure them and know!

CR123 is a great form factor for EDC. For around the house, I'm not sure there's any better. Why carry something heavy to look under the sink or check on sleeping children. As you start to need better run times, other forms start getting better, like 18650. I was up in a rural property off the grid for a few months and those CR123 lights got annoying because I kept having to go to my backup and that's scary when you're deep in the woods with no moonlight.

Why are the days numbered for this type of battery? If anything I would say it's just starting to be appreciated. They aren't used for cameras any more, but enough people use them for other things that I don't see them going away any time soon. Though I do keep a whole bunch of the primaries with a 10 year shelf life.
Thumbs Up 

I had a neighbor that decided to upgrade her solar LED walkway lights. She was about to dump all 12 in the garbage because 6 of them had gone dim or no longer worked. I convinced her to give to me when I told her I was going to recycle the electronics and batteries. She is a big treehugger and didn't realize that they had hazmat materials that should be disposed of properly. She was grateful I was so helpful...

I used parts from 3 to fix three of mine that were dim. I pulled all 12 AA Nichol metal hydride 1850 mAh batteries and 11 of them charged and held a charge. I scrapped the everything that didn't work and still have three sets that are on the shelf with out a battery with the solar panel covered for future use.
Nice score!

I've been able to do a few laptop pulls so my pile of 18650's has grown quite a bit.  Still need to up the 26650's and now the 16340's to the point I'm feeling comfortable.  May as well toss in a few 14500's but I have that fairly covered with the amount of Eneloop AA's I've obtained last year.

I'm down to one 123 light. It's an Inforce APL that I basically got for free. I really like it on my Glock. I sold everything else and replaced them with AAA Streamlights. If more AAA weapon lights come out to compete with Surefire's new model,, I'll probably replace the APL.
Updating the thread:  Still loving the Nitecore SRT3 and it's still my favorite light.  The Thrunite Neutron 1C lights don't get a lot of use but make great pack lights.  Gave one to my son and the other is in my CCW fanny pack.  The SRT3 rides in my EDC pack all the time.  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Added a few lights to our collection bmyers 7 576 08-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Ronin.45
  Weapon mounted lights David 5 375 05-23-2018, 03:44 AM
Last Post: bdcochran