Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Armed Citizen
Exclamation 
There has been a lot of positive attention on the 'armed citizen' lately. 

FBI report shows importance of armed citizens in stopping mass murder sprees

Some highlights of the article of noteworthy consideration:

According to the study:
  • There were 160 active shooter/mass shooting incidents between 2000 and 2013
  • That translates to an average of 11.3 incidents per year, though incidents in the final seven years of the study rose to about 16 per year, on average
  • In all, the shootings produced 1,043 casualties
  • Of the casualties, 486 people were killed and 557 were wounded
  • All but six of the 160 shootings were male suspects
  • In 21 of the 45 incidents where law enforcement had to engage the shooter to end the threat, nine officers were killed and 28 were wounded.
  • Five of the mass shooting incidents were ended by armed civilians who subdued the shooter
  • 21 of the incidents ended with unarmed citizens subduing the shooter (a dicey proposition at best)
  • At least 25 of the shootings ended with the shooter getting away before cops arrived
  • Only 28 percent of the 160 incidents came to an end after police exchanged fire with the shooter(s); of these, 20 percent ended with the shooter killing himself
A Factual Look at Guns in America

Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and

Do citizens (not police officers) with guns ever stop mass shootings?

Above are just a sampling of the research and articles that are available on line.  I think in these times it is a mistake to rely upon others to protect you and your family.   That isn't to say that police services should not be utilized to the fullest when appropriate.  But situations have and will arise where police response will not be quick enough to stop a situation from escalating out of control or getting much worse.  At these times it is up to responsible, armed, law-abiding citizens to step up and into the gap.  Not to be heroes.  Not to be cowboys or wanna-be commandoes.  But to reasonably respond to the crisis as it unfolds.  In short, to stop evil from committing evil. 

I've evaluated this seriously in the last couple of years.  I've been carrying a concealed off-duty firearm since the early 90's.  Last year I decided that carrying a spare magazine was prudent.  This week, in light of various situations unfolding in the world I decided that it was prudent to carry two magazines so I ordered (and received) a dual mag pouch for concealed carry.  This puts 41 rounds on my person.  Is this enough?  Well, it's more than I've carried in the past.

Additionally, I now carry a 'trunk gun'.  A 9mm carbine with a total of 30 rounds.  Is this enough?  Well, it's more than I've carried in the past. 

I also have tossed a box of 50 rounds in the GHB.  Is this enough?  Well, it's more than I've carried in the past.  I figure at least it provides me with additional options if faced with an immediate threat that requires immediate action.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Terrorism on American Soil—Are You Prepared?

That is some really interesting info Dave.

Haters will doubt the numbers, but I find it hard to believe they are not correct.

Consider a number of the mass shootings occurred in 'gun free' zones as well.

I have seriously been thinking about the trunk gun.
I think a trunk gun makes a lot of sense.  I look at the amount of time I'm away from home while working.  My 12-hour shift is actually closer to 14 hours that I'm away from home.  That isn't every day, but every other week it's 5 out of 7 days.  That's a lot of time 'someplace else'.  Lots of stuff could kick off (natural or man-made) while away from home and preps.  Having a trunk gun just offers another option and another layer to the GHB.  If I had an actual trunk I'd likely leave the 995TS in there 24/7.  But both the van and the SUV are hatchbacks so I only take it back and forth to work (or if I take a longer trip somewhere).

A little information

David
I think a trunk gun makes a lot of sense.  I look at the amount of time I'm away from home while working.  My 12-hour shift is actually closer to 14 hours that I'm away from home.  That isn't every day, but every other week it's 5 out of 7 days.  That's a lot of time 'someplace else'.  Lots of stuff could kick off (natural or man-made) while away from home and preps.  Having a trunk gun just offers another option and another layer to the GHB.  If I had an actual trunk I'd likely leave the 995TS in there 24/7.  But both the van and the SUV are hatchbacks so I only take it back and forth to work (or if I take a longer trip somewhere).

I'm working on trying to get a pistol right now. Sometime in the future I plan on getting one of these.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hi-point-...nt+carbine+

I'm looking into all weather cases for a trunk gun. I have a toolbox on my truck and would sometimes have to keep it in there. So I want to make sure the weather won't get to it too badly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

For your all weather case it needs to be airtight. I have one of the Cabella ATV mount cases that has the fleece lining. It does not have a seal and will collect moisture. I store it with about a dozen big silica packets and keep it in a large plastic bag. It is dry as a bone when I pull it out. After a weekend of use (no rain) I can feel the moisture in it.

BTW: Silica gel packets can be recharged by putting them in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. This burns off the moisture they have collected.
Good info. Much appreciated!
(11-24-2015, 12:37 AM)JRSC Wrote: http://www.cabelas.com/product/hi-point-...nt+carbine+

I think you'll really be pleased with it when you get it.  What caliber you think you'll get?

45. 9mm ammo might be more available but maybe it's the novice in me. I want more power.
Check your ballistics and penetration of 200 grain JHP 45 and 124 grain JHP 9mm. There is a difference but it is not that much. If you want more punch go with a 10mm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Examples of why one should always be armed in the woods David 47 17,710 03-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Last Post: David
Thumbs Up Armed citizens defending themselves David 4 2,298 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Last Post: kirgi08