Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyer beware - batteries
Wanted to toss out some info for folks to help when choosing rechargeable batteries, particularly lithium ion batteries. 

To begin with, be very careful with XXXXfire batteries (accept Trustfire Flame - more on this later).  These are typically the cheap blue batteries on ebay like this:

[Image: UltraFire-14500-900mAh-3-7V-Rechargeable...KU-13-.jpg]

They also come like this:

[Image: sku_160132_1.jpg]

They can be labeled with all sorts of xxxx-fire labels.  Most are junk.  The mAh are vastly over-rated to get suckers to buy them.  For example, a good 14500 battery is between 750mAh and 900mAh.  Some of these junk batteries claim 1200mAh to 2000mAh.  Same with 18650 batteries.  Good ones are between 2600 mAh and maybe 3400mAh give or take.  Some of the junk batteries claim 4000+mAh but I've seen many tested that only had 350mAh.  That is 10 times less than advertised and more like a AAA battery!

Brands that I like/trust are;
  • Trustfire Flame (these are the only XXXXfire batteries I've seen testing reviews on that are well made.  Always come in pairs with shrink wrap and a square silver hologram sticker).
  • Efest
  • Genuine Sanyo
  • Panasonic
  • Samsung
  • King Kong
  • Keep Power
There are probably others but these are the ones I'm familiar with.  Just be careful with inflated mAh claims.  Do a little research to find out what the quality companies are offering.  As of this post I think 3600mAh is the ceiling for a legitimate 18650 battery so if you see someone offering a 5000mAh 18650 their trying to rip you off.

Also be aware that some companies will buy good labels and put them on cheap batteries.  Do some research and find a reputable dealer. 

As far as standard batteries, Eneloop makes the best AA/AAA rechargeable batteries imo.  Tenergy seems to be the best C and D rechargeable batteries.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Ran into the same problem recently with 16340/123 li-ion cells.
Most from china are vastly overrated as physically you can only fit about 700+mahr of chems in that size package, but they rated them as high as 2000mahr.

Another but more important item is the PCB ( protection circuit ) some just don't have, some say they do and don't ... be careful as one person recently had a fire situation ( melted the electronic device ) due tothe lack of same.

Stick with known name brands ( otherwise you get what you pay for; cheap junk )
Another example of an EBay scammer.  This seller is advertising a 9800mAh 18650!  That is like 3x the capacity of a good 18650.  Pathetic  Dodgy

Scam

I've made that mistake before.... Don't let a cheap price fool you.

However, I did win them in an auction on eBay, they're good backups if for some reason you can't get your good batteries.
(11-10-2015, 05:12 AM)JRSC Wrote: I've made that mistake before.... Don't let a cheap price fool you.

However, I did win them in an auction on eBay, they're good backups if for some reason you can't get your good batteries.

Yeah, that is what I do with mine.  Just have to be careful when charging as some folks have had them catch fire.

Thanks for the heads up!
Another cheap battery scam:

[Image: DSC_6749.jpg]

14500 GTL purple rated at 2300mAh.  In actuality they were tested at only 300mAh.  

A good 14500 cell is normally between 750mAh and maybe up to 900mAh.  So these are less than half of a decent to good cell.  Probably won't get very many recharges out of them either.  Buyer beware.

Used laptop battery packs are a great source for rechargeable 18650s and 17670s.  You'd be surprised how good of shape most are in even when the pack itself is considered dead.  Usually high quality Panasonic or Sony cells.
As a side point... cheap cells that end in 'fire" can cause same...

The ones listed on from opening post ( ultrafire ) cause a melt down of an electronic device ( almost fire ) so be careful
(07-19-2017, 11:33 AM)Tom Mac Wrote: As a side point... cheap cells that end in 'fire" can cause same...

The ones listed on from opening post ( ultrafire )  cause a melt down of an electronic device ( almost fire ) so be careful

Yep!

The only exceptions are 'Trustfire' and 'Windyfire' IF you get them from a reputable source.  Both have been tested my HKJ on BLF and found to be good to great in quality.  Trustfire is ALWAYS sold in pairs, shrink wrapped with a hologram logo sticker.  Windyfire can be purchased on Mountain Electronics and Richard (owner) is a high ranking and respected member of BLF.

But yeah, any other xxxfire not only sucks but can be dangerous!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check your batteries bdcochran 2 1,439 10-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Last Post: David
Question Ikea Ladda rechargable batteries? David 4 2,335 09-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Last Post: JRSC