Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold, silver and other precious metals
The reason I mentioned Kennedy Half's is because you can still buy rolls from most banks and search for the Silver ones. Your best bet is to buy American Silver Eagles @ Spot price. They are worth more than just spot because they have a collectable value.
When I was a teenager in the 70's I used to get rolls of dimes, half dollars, and dollars looking for the silver. I picked up a lot of silver back then. I have done it a few times since then but the pickin's have become slim in recent years.

Estate auctions have been where I have been picking up silver and usually at spot or slightly below. Most places locally will sell silver a dollar or two over spot like a lot of the online houses. I have never had the extra money to jump into the gold market.
My wife's friend decided that they needed to get into prepping. They went and bought $500 in silver bars (they had 3 or 4-5oz bars and I think about 15-1 ounce bars).

They were very proud of themselves and was telling us about them. I walked into the bathroom, then the kitchen and came out with two items. I asked how much they would give me for the roll of toilet paper? They said 50 cents, I said ok, give me 50 cents from you silver bar. I held up a can of corn and asked how much they would give me? They said it was only worth a dollar. I reminded them that this is in a SHFT scenario, they can't go buy anything at the store and their preps was only the silver bars. I want 1 silver bar for the toilet paper and 1 silver bar for the corn.

They said that is robbery. I said get out of my house. I control the product you want, you pay the price I want, otherwise you leave.

It ended up opening up a lengthy discussion and hopefully opened up their eyes a little. Yes, precious metals are nice and help protect from a financial crises, but items to barter with that are useful to you and others maybe a much more versatile route to go.
(08-30-2018, 10:38 AM)bmyers Wrote: My wife's friend decided that they needed to get into prepping. They went and bought $500 in silver bars (they had 3 or 4-5oz bars and I think about 15-1 ounce bars).

They were very proud of themselves and was telling us about them. I walked into the bathroom, then the kitchen and came out with two items. I asked how much they would give me for the roll of toilet paper? They said 50 cents, I said ok, give me 50 cents from you silver bar. I held up a can of corn and asked how much they would give me? They said it was only worth a dollar. I reminded them that this is in a SHFT scenario, they can't go buy anything at the store and their preps was only the silver bars. I want 1 silver bar for the toilet paper and 1 silver bar for the corn.

They said that is robbery. I said get out of my house. I control the product you want, you pay the price I want, otherwise you leave.

It ended up opening up a lengthy discussion and hopefully opened up their eyes a little. Yes, precious metals are nice and help protect from a financial crises, but items to barter with that are useful to you and others maybe a much more versatile route to go.

Great points.  This is my I would think silver is better than other PM's like gold.  You can get silver in small amounts that are easier to barter with.  The bars aren't the way to go.  I'd rather have 10 once ounce coins than one ten ounce bar.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
If you search web-sites you can get 1/4 ounce bars or coins in Silver. I have used e-bay in the past, I bought some 1/4 oz. bars cheap.
Many places sell old silver coins by the bag,.... Needed if you need change in a barter.
IMO, that plus the one ounce rounds are the way to go.
Trash silver coin bags allow lower amounts of silver ; like dimes, quarters, half's and even some nickels

Here a melt down chart showing silver amounts in older silver coins

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/coin...alues.aspx
Silver is far more viable than gold,gold would be for a large buy-in.Silver is more barter ready.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
And Gold and silver are at their best prices in the past year. I have an estate sale to go to tomorrow - silver, toby jugs and guns...
I posted this on GT in a similar thread.  Thought I'd toss the same quote here:

Quote:I think the advocates here for PM already have the 'food, water, ammo' department covered.  PM is an addition and not a substitute.  
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.