Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold, silver and other precious metals
Bartering alcohol has come up a few times in this thread.  Why do you feel alcohol would be a valuable/powerful bartering currency?  How would you barter it (what sized amounts)?  Are some types better than others?

I use vodka to make tinctures so that would be of interest to me personally.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
In bad times, drinking usu goes up. And alcohol has multi purpose as you stated.
I go with grain 190pf... you can delute it 2x and still have strong alcohol, and it mixes with anything. Prob run a small engine on it ! Smile
The interesting part of bartering is trying to accurately judge 'what' is worth 'what'.  And of course it will all depend upon your needs at the time.  What's worth a bag of rice?  A box of ammo?  A fresh set of batteries?  Someone able to treat your injury or illness?

The market will adjust itself.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(10-23-2015, 05:30 PM)David Wrote: Bartering alcohol has come up a few times in this thread.  Why do you feel alcohol would be a valuable/powerful bartering currency?  How would you barter it (what sized amounts)?  Are some types better than others?

Look at the people who are facing SHTF scenario today, i.e. our military in war zones, away from base, out on their own.  What do they value?  Water, food, ammo, booze.  Roughly in that order.  I recently lived in a military town and have plenty of friends who have "been there" and have paid close attention to what they said.  Not one said precious metals, cash, etc...    

- MG
(10-26-2015, 09:08 PM)MaxG Wrote:
(10-23-2015, 05:30 PM)David Wrote: Bartering alcohol has come up a few times in this thread.  Why do you feel alcohol would be a valuable/powerful bartering currency?  How would you barter it (what sized amounts)?  Are some types better than others?

Look at the people who are facing SHTF scenario today, i.e. our military in war zones, away from base, out on their own.  What do they value?  Water, food, ammo, booze.  Roughly in that order.  I recently lived in a military town and have plenty of friends who have "been there" and have paid close attention to what they said.  Not one said precious metals, cash, etc...    

- MG

Take that with a grain of salt. Those of us who have been in combat areas were usually well paid. In Afghanistan, the Hagi mart would have the DVD's, tobacco, electronics, antique weapons, precious stones and old coins. Most items were for entertainment or souvenir value or just outright junk.  I picked up an Enfield that was in pretty good condition for a buddy of mine who is a war weapon collector. I bought a few thousand dollars worth of precious stones and had them made into jewelery when I got home. I had friends that were buying gold and silver while on R&R in the middle east because it was at spot pricing and they were looking at the investment values. Then there were those who never bought anything and banked everything they made.
Hey Max welcome

(07-11-2015, 07:16 PM)Bob Wrote: In any immediate situation, I think barter goods rule.

However - in anything that goes to medium term, or economic meltdown….gold, and especially silver will rule.

I'd like to have about 10% of my assets in Silver, honestly.

Been thinking about diversifying into silver lately.  I'd have to learn the proper way to purchase silver and/or other precious metals i.e. not get taken.

I do agree that there are many things more valuable than silver and gold in SHTF situations, but I also believe they do have there place. My opinion is if your going to invest in any gold to get very small coins like 1/4 ounce or less as gold is very valuable and 1 ounce coins are worth too much for a barter scenario. Silver is the preppers choice, you can get coins in circulation that have some silver content, your best bet are Kennedy half dollars. Here is the official break down of partial silver coins struck and they amount of silver in each.

Morgan Silver Dollars, yrs. 1878-1904 & 1921 .77344 ounces of silver per coin.
Peace Silver Dollar, yrs. 1921-1935  .77344 ounces of silver per coin.
Walking Liberty Silver Half Dollar, yrs. 1916-1947  .36169  ounces of silver per coin
Franklin Silver Half Dollar, yrs. 1948-1963  .36169  ounces of silver per coin.
Kennedy Silver Half Dollar, yrs. 1964  .36169 ounces of silver per coin.
Washington Silver Quarter,  yrs. 1932-1964  .18084 ounces of silver per coin.
Mercury Silver Dime, yrs. 1916-1945  .07234 ounces of silver per coin.
Roosevelt Silver Dime,  yrs. 1946-1964  .07234 ounces of silver per coin.
Jefferson Silver Nickel, yrs. 1942-1945  .05626  ounces of silver per coin.

Current Silver spot prices are about $15.00 per ounce, so buying pure silver coins like the American Silver Eagles is affordable at this time. No matter what type of Silver coins or bullion you have is better than none. Someone mentioned like 10% of your total assets in precious metals that is a nice place to start, then work your way up a little at a time.