Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold, silver and other precious metals
(09-02-2015, 02:53 AM)Tsquare Wrote: Ammo, alcohol, medicinal oils, salt, sugar, cooking oil, seeds, and fuel would all be good trade items.

Add to that list experience and skills.  Imagine how useful you would be to others if you had medicinal oils/plants and the knowledge/skill to practically apply them to common ailments.  In such an environment you could be very sought after and barter your skill into useful items that you need.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
We bought a boat load of pmc moderator and cci stinger,500rn boxes for under $20 a box.We won't run out and have a good barter for anything we may have not stored/thought of.I'm not a fan of bartering ammo,we keep junk silver ect for that task.I don't like to trade something that can be used to kill me.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Damn straight!  Extra skills will come in handy no matter what, during the good times and the bad no matter what knowledge is always power.
Couldn't help but think of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and how Master Blaster had power because he knew how to make energy from pig crap.  Now I'm not talking about that type of world of course, but the ability to heal wounds/illnesses, make sustainable fuel, grow food, fish, hunt etc are skills that would be highly sought after, particularly in longer term scenarios.  And one could barter those skills into products/services quite a bit.

Thoughts on this video...

I'm confused who he is trading nickels to. If we get to the point that we are bartering, I imagine there won't be many factories up and running making electronic components. The average person won't have any use for your nickels when they are trying to survive. Even if someone were using nickels to make tools or something actually necessary, they would be looking for large quantities, not the bag in your sock drawer. Say that you had stockpiled 100lbs of nickels and that you found someone that actually wanted them, what would you expect to get in return? Some canned goods? Some gold? If you are starving, the gold doesn't help. The canned goods would be a pretty piss poor return on investment.

I'm just saying, if you are going to put that much time and effort into stockpiling something, make it something you and everyone else can actually use.
(10-05-2015, 05:28 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: snip
I'm just saying, if you are going to put that much time and effort into stockpiling something, make it something you and everyone else can actually use.

I don't stock metals (do have lead ingots Smile ).
toilet paper may be more valuable than nickels.... booze is a definite !
I made up about 4 cases of mason jars filled with the mixture of rice/beans and o2 depleter, very good items and very trade-able too..
Brew yer own booze,use silver for barter and have a ton of tp.Most prep diets include beans and rice,maybe some beano also.'08. Wink
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Ok, most of us have a savings we've worked hard for, when the bottom falls out and suddenly "yo cash ain't nothin but trash" the dollars in the bank and buried in coffee cans in the back yard are a loss... At some point the economy might/will start trying to recover or start over. Having stock in some precious metals would mean you have some financial worth and all the savings you worked hard for is not lost. It may be worth more, it may be worth less but it will help you by not starting from the beginning.

As for being in the middle of a SHTF situation: The only people that might consider precious metals as commerce would be survivalist/preppers and I have not met any of those locally. So, beans and rice will be the most sought after for trade, then bullets- cause we all need to eat and to keep the billions of stupid hungry people from eating us...
This is probably one of those areas of prepping that it's good to have 'some' but not at the expense of other areas of prepping.  Having some gold/silver tucked away can be comforting and useful in the right situation but doesn't supersede food, water or T.P.