Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold, silver and other precious metals
I have a little gold and silver in the safe. This is my emergency/investment money that I acquired most of the silver from circulating money in the past. Back in the late 70's and early 80's my dad owned a jukebox/pinball/pool table/video game business. I got the task of rolling quarters. I have a big bag of silver quarters from when I would pull out all of the non-sandwiched coins.

My philosophy is money will work to begin with in a situation but there are better bartering metals. The primary being bullets. Have an excess supply of the common rounds for trading (9mm, 45ACP, 12 gauge 00, 223, 308, 30-06).
Any metals are good to have for bartering, and so is ammo, salts, and sugars. Quarters before 1970 have a higher content of silver in them, silver dollars, dimes around 1930 and before also have a good amount of silver in them, nickels don't know, and I think penny's before wwii. I think after wwii they started mixing the copper, during wwii, they started running low on copper and started making zinc pennies. For 1943..at least that is what I was told. Silver, gold, copper, lead, iron, steel, metal is always needed to make something
I got a mint set of zinc pennies from 1943.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(08-31-2015, 11:11 PM)Tsquare Wrote: but there are better bartering metals. The primary being bullets. Have an excess supply of the common rounds for trading (9mm, 45ACP, 12 gauge 00, 223, 308, 30-06).

I completely disagree with this.

That makes the assumption that firefights and such will be the norm.  I'm not really seeing that as likely unless we head to EOTWAWKI, and then, I'm keeping my ammo!

I get the idea, but I disagree.  If you can't eat it, drink it, or cover a wound with it….little to no value.
For me it wouldn't be firefights, it would be also for hunting small or big game, even a pellet gun will be good for squirrels, birds. Trading some 22's for something you need might be useful, pretty much everyone in my area has a 22.
IMO, it would be the essential items, the things that pertain to water, food, first aid and shelter. I'd throw in bullets and such as they would be great bartering items as well since hunting and self defense would be a major issue during that time.
Ammo, alcohol, medicinal oils, salt, sugar, cooking oil, seeds, and fuel would all be good trade items. My thoughts are that there would be few if any firefights because you are in a community or group of like minded people who will help defend their group. Trading between groups would be the goal for long term survival.

Going lone wolf greatly reduces your chance of survival. Getting into firefights also reduces your chance of survival. Trading off some excess ammo for some needed essentials makes since to me.
Mornin folks. '08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
"Going lone wolf greatly reduces your chance of survival. Getting into firefights also reduces your chance of survival. Trading off some excess ammo for some needed essentials makes since to me."

I agree 101%
(09-02-2015, 01:06 AM)burnsoft Wrote: For me it wouldn't be firefights, it would be also for hunting small or big game, even a pellet gun will be good for squirrels, birds.  Trading some 22's for something you need might be useful, pretty much everyone in my area has a 22.

This may be a partial explanation for .22 being scarce.  Of all the common calibers, this one makes the most sense to barter with as it is useful for game but less of a threat if used against you (as compared to other calibers).  And even though it is quite a bit more expensive than it use to be, it's still cheaper than other calibers.  Not long ago I picked up 50rd boxes for $4 and some 325rd boxes for $20.  I see those same 325rd boxes going for $34 to $49 some places. 

Lead may not be a precious metal, but it could become a very marketable metal.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.