Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival hunting w/handgun caliber
Okay, hunting question to toss out.  Disregarding state/local hunting laws for the moment and strictly speaking a survival situation for the purposes of discussion.  What handgun caliber would you feel is sufficient for what type of game?  Also, if shot out of a rifle length carbine (16+ inches of length) what would you feel could be taken.

I'm curious as to what my 9mm and .40 carbine may be capable of doing, on what, at what range and how effectively.  Also considering getting a .45acp carbine in the future as well.  The 995TS (9mm) has a barrel length of 16.5 and I've seen video of it gaining a tad more than 200fps in velocity over a pistol length barrel.  The 4095TS (.40 S&W) has a 17.5 barrel and I've seen video of 100+ fps gains.  The 4595TS (.45acp) has a 17.5 but haven't seen anything relating to velocity gains yet.

Thoughts?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
In a survival situation I'm perfectly comfortable taking game up to dear with a .22lr. Obviously a brain shot is the way to go with this.

As far as centerfire pistol rounds, a 9mm/40/45 hollowpoint through the boiler room will kill anything. Whitetails are about the biggest game around here and they are pretty thin skinned. If I lived in elk or bear country I would plan accordingly. Any pistol caliber out of a rifle is an upgrade.
10mm/.357mag/.41mag/.44mag.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(10-28-2015, 03:45 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: In a survival situation I'm perfectly comfortable taking game up to dear with a .22lr. Obviously a brain shot is the way to go with this.

As far as centerfire pistol rounds, a 9mm/40/45 hollowpoint through the boiler room will kill anything. Whitetails are about the biggest game around here and they are pretty thin skinned. If I lived in elk or bear country I would plan accordingly. Any pistol caliber out of a rifle is an upgrade.

I would assume heavy-for-caliber would be the best bet for as deep penetration as possible.  In the Resource section I put an interesting thread called Ballistics 101 which has a link to Caliber-by-the-Inch which looks at various rounds out of different length barrels.  Personally, for SD, I'm not a fan of light-for-caliber rounds as I don't see them having the amount of penetration I see as necessary.  Yes, they are the ones with the greatest velocity increase but think the penetration would suffer.  I would 'think' for hunting it would be the same and that maybe HP's aren't the best choice over FMJ?

Thoughts on this are welcome.

I've killed deer with .357 mag and .44 mag revolvers. I wouldn't purposely use anything less than a .357 unless I absolutely had to. On the other hand, I've killed deer with arrows and I would think a 9mm or .40 is probably better than an arrow. I've read about a guy in Alaska who killed a moose with a 9mm, and another who killed a bear with a .45acp so anything is possible.
(10-28-2015, 04:49 PM)David Wrote:
(10-28-2015, 03:45 AM)Ronin.45 Wrote: In a survival situation I'm perfectly comfortable taking game up to dear with a .22lr. Obviously a brain shot is the way to go with this.

I would assume heavy-for-caliber would be the best bet for as deep penetration as possible.  In the Resource section I put an interesting thread called Ballistics 101 which has a link to Caliber-by-the-Inch which looks at various rounds out of different length barrels.  Personally, for SD, I'm not a fan of light-for-caliber rounds as I don't see them having the amount of penetration I see as necessary.  Yes, they are the ones with the greatest velocity increase but think the penetration would suffer.  I would 'think' for hunting it would be the same and that maybe HP's aren't the best choice over FMJ?

Thoughts on this are welcome.
Heavy bullets will definitely penetrate better, but would not be necessary for thin skinned game. Most modern HPs are bonded to deliver better penetration while still expanding. Even if it only penetrated 8-10" it still will destroy the heart and lung if you put it in the right spot.
My daily carry is either a G37 45GAP or G26 9mm. For personal carry it is hard to beat a Glock.

When I am hunting I always carry a 44 Mag loaded with 240 grain JHP. An incident with a 400+ pound boar hog over 30 years ago taught me to carry something that will take care of anything I meet in the woods.
The caliber is NOT the issue. It's skill…

The closer you need to be, the better you had better be - at hunting!

But - .22 or .357 with 6" barrel
I have taken more deer and hogs with my 10/22 than any other gun I have the hi point carbine will put deer and hog down I hunted with one for awhile I do a lot of neck shots drop them in there tracks also hunted squirrel with a 357 shooting 38s sim wad cutters.
(01-27-2016, 03:47 AM)ghost Wrote: I have taken more deer and hogs with my 10/22 than any other gun I have the hi point carbine will put deer and hog down I hunted with one for awhile I do a lot of neck shots drop them in there tracks also hunted squirrel with a 357 shooting 38s sim wad cutters.

Which Hi-Point carbine were you using?  What type of ammo were you using in it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wilderness Survival Skill Testing JRSC 3 245 06-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Hunting tips David 13 2,266 02-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Last Post: mac66
  Survival walking stick David 8 1,214 12-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Hunting Season JRSC 64 12,495 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM
  Primative hunting weapon ghost 3 950 08-25-2017, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Bob
  Good luck hunting mac66 4 1,141 11-20-2016, 02:49 PM
  Hunting shotguns/rifles and gear thread David 7 1,800 08-20-2016, 12:05 PM
  camping/hiking/cooking/prepping/hunting trip experience ric0123 7 1,804 04-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
Question Hunting specific FAK David 11 3,991 02-04-2016, 02:14 AM
  Favorite Hunting Shows JRSC 5 1,648 11-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: JRSC