Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ferro rod thread
My preferred rod of choice has become the magnesium ferro rod. The mag has come in handy during my outings. Plus any and all help starting a fire is completely welcome. In such cases cheating is encouraged.
(01-05-2016, 11:50 PM)JRSC Wrote: My preferred rod of choice has become the magnesium ferro rod. The mag has come in handy during my outings. Plus any and all help starting a fire is completely welcome. In such cases cheating is encouraged.

What kind are you using?  Is it one of the mag bars with the ferro rod on the side?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Yes sir, it's became my go to and favorite.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Fire steel Bunker rig kicks butt! Waterproof, striker and tinder storage.

And ya know, I just got to thunkin' and y'all correct me if I'm wrong...powdered aluminum and powdered iron oxide...magnesium...ferro...look out...right??
"As a matter of Survival, ALL. CREATURES ARE FAIR GAME!"

Les Stroud Big Grin

Special snowflakes will be melted and consumed...I need to stay hydrated!

Big Grin
I like firesteel.com but I feel that they are very overpriced.  Don't get me wrong, they have a great product and it works well.  I have their really small, thin ferro rods tucked away in my wallet as an emergency back up item.  But you can find them much cheaper.  For example, right now they have a 1/2x6 inch on FS for $27.22 and Ebay for $19.99.  Is the FS really that much better?  It's probably a bit softer so it throws more 'gobs' rather than just sparks (perhaps).  I've have a few Ebay blanks and they seem to throw a pretty good amount of sparks.  Full disclosure though, I don't have a FS blank of comparable size to test side-by-side. Perhaps there is a big difference?

At the last SEP gathering we did some teaching on various ways to start fire.  One of the tools I used was this:

Survival Magnesium Rod Flint Stone Fire Starter with Wooden Handle

This is an inexpensive version of the tool I posted in post #3.  The above is just one example, there are several.  Here is another:

Ebay

I've used this in the backyard and was very impressed but this last gathering was the first time in the field.  I scrapped a very small pile of shavings, smaller than the quarter-size they always recommend.  It lit right up as expected.  What really impressed me was that five minutes later my friends 11 year old son was still looking at the burnt pile on the log where I started the fire (it had gone out soon after starting) and was STILL able to get a fire going with it because it was still hot enough to light up small tinder and into a bigger fire.  So yes, magnesium gives a big, hot initial flash but the pile is still hot enough to be an ignitions source even 5 or more minutes later.  That was good information to learn.

I see the Exacto Nanostriker is out of production, according to their website.  Not surprise at the $30 price point.  Way too much for that product!  Just purchased a couple of knock-offs to test out though:

Portable EDC Gear Survival Flint Fire Starter

If it works out I'll toss this on my EDC keychain for testing.

(07-17-2015, 05:12 PM)David Wrote:

The Ultimate Survival Tool!

This is an excellent piece of gear!  The magnesium is indeed soft and shaves very well.  My only gripe would be the price.  These go from between $29.50 - $34.50.  It is a fine product and it works great.  They say they're made in the U.S.

I did find an alternative if you can't or don't want to pay that amount.

Portable Magnesium Rod Flint Stone Fire Starter with Wooden Handle

It is made in China so that may be a turn off for some, and that's fine.  I did order one to test though and too be honest, it worked just like the video listed above.  And it only $4.26 with free shipping.  Will take probably 3 weeks or so to get from China if you're willing to wait and save $30.  It isn't as pretty, and the wood handle didn't shave, but the mag shaved easy and the ferro rod showered the sparks.

Either way, it's a great mag/ferro rod and they do work great.

I bought one if these based on this video and it works great. Soft magnesium and the Ferro rod throws a shower of sparks. I see more if these  in my future.
Ebay link

Did you buy the one in the video or one of the knock-offs on Ebay?  I bought one off Ebay like in the link above and have to say I'm impressed!  At our last SEP gathering we were doing a lot of 'fire' work i.e. ferro rods and making char cloth.  That inexpensive one I got off Ebay had very soft magnesium and the ferro rod worked fine.  The gob of magnesium was actually still hot enough 10 minutes later that we ignited tinder off of it. 

I've got a LOT of different ferro rods and mag bars but if I could have only one it would be this type.  I don't know how it would compare with the more expensive one from the video but I have to give it a solid thumbs up.

(05-31-2017, 11:20 AM)David Wrote: Ebay link

Did you buy the one in the video or one of the knock-offs on Ebay?  I bought one off Ebay like in the link above and have to say I'm impressed!  At our last SEP gathering we were doing a lot of 'fire' work i.e. ferro rods and making char cloth.  That inexpensive one I got off Ebay had very soft magnesium and the ferro rod worked fine.  The gob of magnesium was actually still hot enough 10 minutes later that we ignited tinder off of it. 

I've got a LOT of different ferro rods and mag bars but if I could have only one it would be this type.  I don't know how it would compare with the more expensive one from the video but I have to give it a solid thumbs up.

Gotta give another thumbs up for this rod.  Used it again to demonstrate for my nieces. They are simply awesome!