Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ferro rod thread
Heart 
Ferro rods is a useful piece of gear that I've really gotten into in the last several years.  Now it never beats a good Zippo or Bic, but it does have the benefit that it doesn't run out of fuel or break or not work if it falls in a puddle of water.  So I feel it has a place as a good back up piece of gear in the pack.  And as such, we should know how to use it and it's capabilities.

So I figured I'd start a thread that's devoted to the ferro rod.  Please feel free to chime in with your own thoughts, videos, articles, examples etc.  If you have a review of a ferro rod, post it here.  Links/pics/vids encouraged.

Here's a starer video:

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Good info. I didn't know about the different compositions.
Video 

The Ultimate Survival Tool!

This is an excellent piece of gear!  The magnesium is indeed soft and shaves very well.  My only gripe would be the price.  These go from between $29.50 - $34.50.  It is a fine product and it works great.  They say they're made in the U.S.

I did find an alternative if you can't or don't want to pay that amount.

Portable Magnesium Rod Flint Stone Fire Starter with Wooden Handle

It is made in China so that may be a turn off for some, and that's fine.  I did order one to test though and too be honest, it worked just like the video listed above.  And it only $4.26 with free shipping.  Will take probably 3 weeks or so to get from China if you're willing to wait and save $30.  It isn't as pretty, and the wood handle didn't shave, but the mag shaved easy and the ferro rod showered the sparks.

Either way, it's a great mag/ferro rod and they do work great.

Video 
Magnesium bar fire starter

A magnesium bar can be a simple way to start a fire. Magnesium will burn even if wet, in fact it will burn under water. Simply scrap off enough shavings and then ignite with the embedded ferro rod.

There are several brands and Walmart has them for around $8. Doan mag bars are about the same. Honestly, I've had good success with the cheap Harbor Freight and Tools mag bars which are just cheap Chinese brand for less than $3. On sale with the 20% coupon and I've gotten them for less than $2.

[Image: 1tsMFPfenjpK.JPG]

K60 Large key-chain mag/ferro combo

Video 

If you just want a big, plain Jane ferro rod:

Big Size 12.7mmx12.7cm Ferrocerium Rod

I ordered and received one of these a few months back.  Came just as advertised (5 inches long and 1/2 thick).  Throws sparks just like you would expect and should last a good long time.  For the price it would be hard to beat.  

Seen folks wrap on end fairly thick with duct tape to use as both a handle and also as fire-starter since duct tape catches a spark and burns well.

Ordered a couple of these the other day:

Survival Emergency Tool Kit Fire Starter

[Image: bf1009_a.jpg]

Got the idea from the Ultimate Survival Tips video on the Gerber LMF II.  These fit on the sheath and can be attached for if/when needed.  Something I wish the sheath came with automatically.  Good price.

Ebay link

[Image: $T2eC16V,!yMFI,7cM6I)BSRkS0VO7w~~60_12.JPG]

Bought a couple of these last year, excellent price! These are the same thing as the UST Strike Force Fire Starter. Amazon has these for around $15 but I've seen them as high as $25. I bought two very similar ones at the Pathfinder school for $15 each and they are outstanding. They have a compartment for tinder as well. The one's in the link above should be pretty much exactly the same thing.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/UST-Strike-Force-Starter-Orange/dp/B00930Y4YG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397750647&sr=8-1&keywords=ust+fire+starter][/url]The Price has even come down a bit since I ordered mine.  The Ferro rod is short but thick and the orange color makes it great for easy I.D. in dim light conditions.  Overall this is one of my favorite ferro rods and the tinder compartment is great to have.

(08-25-2015, 01:41 PM)David Wrote: Ordered a couple of these the other day:

Survival Emergency Tool Kit Fire Starter

[Image: bf1009_a.jpg]

Got the idea from the Ultimate Survival Tips video on the Gerber LMF II.  These fit on the sheath and can be attached for if/when needed.  Something I wish the sheath came with automatically.  Good price.

Received these on Monday.  They were actually bigger than I thought they'd be.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I was looking at adding these to my LMF II.  I'll have to play around with it and see if they fit.