Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance
I've been on a FAK kick here lately. I remember a thread from the old forum that was about which was better, a store bought FAK, or a self prepared FAK. I think one good method is studying out the best affordable store kit. Which already has most of what you'd want already. Then, you can pick and choose supplies from there on out. Have one for the vehicle, edc/bob bag and home.

Though you want to create a FAK for the worst case scenarios. Try to keep it within what you know you come into contact on a regular basis. But, there's no item too extensive. Prepping is an opportunist lifestyle. Whatever you can score for a great deal isn't rediculous.
(12-18-2015, 10:03 PM)JRSC Wrote: I've been on a FAK kick here lately. I remember a thread from the old forum that was about which was better, a store bought FAK, or a self prepared FAK. I think one good method is studying out the best affordable store kit. Which already has most of what you'd want already. Then, you can pick and choose supplies from there on out. Have one for the vehicle, edc/bob bag and home.

Though you want to create a FAK for the worst case scenarios. Try to keep it within what you know you come into contact on a regular basis. But, there's no item too extensive. Prepping is an opportunist lifestyle. Whatever you can score for a great deal isn't rediculous.

Why not learn more? How regular are you running into injuries? Gun shot wounds?

If no item is to extensive, than you are stepping out of what you know...

Prepping is not opportunistic... Its thinking about whats with in the realm of possibility and doing your best to prepare for it. If your best is $5 a week on preps and $200 on fun, than you can say its a hobbyist's lifestyle... However, not opportunistic.
You don't understand what I'm saying. It's opportunistic because you keep an eye open for deals and things that have multiuses. Take advantage of every opportunity.

As far as FAKs. Yes study as much as possible about all sorts of first aid. Take advantage of opportunities to get gear of all sorts. But be realistic about what you carry. The $9 FAK on the Walmart site I listed in the First Aid section is a great piece of gear to carry in your vehicle and edc/bob. But you certainly wouldn't want to lug around a defibrillator or such. Keep it simple and what you'd need on an everyday basis. Keep that for the home bag or one you have for SHTF situations. 

But yes, take every opportunity to learn and if you can, get the gear you're learning about. You could need it.
Weeks at a time,yearly.David,if you read my "decisions" thread on GT you know what I mean.2 times a year we go totally off grid,it really don't matter though.We got solar/manual water,a woodstove and plenty of food.So why do we do it,simple,stuff breaks/fails ect.I'd rather be able ta replace/fix/stock parts while available.Rather than a event catch us short.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
As far as inexpensive lighting, there are a plethora of solar powered and rechargeable lanterns available these days.  I picked up a solar powered lantern at Harbor Freight for around $12 and last night picked up a rechargeable lantern at Aldi's for $12.  I have a small solar powered generator to use as a recharging source for such things and the solar just needs some sunshine.  

I don't recall the lumens on the solar powered lantern but it's quite nice and the rechargeable one is 80 lumens.  Either/both would do well.  The rechargeable one will run for 10 hours which is plenty.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
My advice would be, "Never believe you are prepared, there is always something more to be done. It is a lifestyle, not a goal."
For those that are serious about their personal preparedness and have read this far, here is additional reading that WILL prove very useful:

Deal Alert Thread

This thread is filled with links to various deals.  The actual 'deal' may or may not still be valid, but it will provide a plethora of ideas about what folks think are things you should have on hand.

What have you done this week to forward your 2016 prepping goals?

A thread all about what real folks, just like you, are doing for their personal preparedness.  This thread is a long running thread (goes the entire year) and again will have a plethora of ideas.

What is a BOB, GHB or EDC? What goes in one? And why the heck would I want one anyway

I put this down as a must read!

I would suggest that possibly, due to this election, you have at least 4 good years to get things accomplished in terms of short/long term emergency preparedness.  Doesn't mean you wait for 3 1/2 years to start.  And it doesn't mean that some natural disaster isn't around the corner (hopefully not).  But it may suggest you have a little breathing room for the time being to get things accomplished.

Angel
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
For me, the overall idea is to be as self-staining as possible.
For someone living in an apartment, that is hard, and would probably be better to prep by storage and decide on a time frame that you need to go without assistance.
If you live on land,than means growing your own food as much as you can, and trying to get off the power grid as much as possible.
If you shoot for a self-sustaining lifestyle, the storage or what is needed to get you through a short term disaster becomes much less.
Also, it is not a thing which is done and done; prepping is a lifestyle, you are never done, only better prepared than you were last year.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Level of preparedness - 72hr David 19 7,620 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI David 13 4,977 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Wild Fires and Preparedness Bob 7 1,987 05-02-2017, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Bob
Information Survival vs. Sustainable Self Reliance David 2 1,156 10-09-2016, 07:20 PM
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 9,197 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 2,315 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,061 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM