Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance
Question 
How would you advise someone that would like to begin prepping and/or becoming more self reliant but is totally new to the topic. Their reasons would/could be for natural disasters and/or man-made events.

What is your advice on how to start, what to get, what to focus on etc.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
These people that are thinking of getting started are going to need a few guide lines to think about, this is what I usually give. We also made up a bunch of copies of this and passed them to all the neighbors on my street. Hopefully it's made someone think about it.

Five Dollar Emergency Preparations
 After reading scores of threads of people asking how to get started preparing or "don't have the money" to prepare for emergencies, I thought I would put together some ideas that would cover each.
 The goal of this list is to demonstrate that emergency preparation can be done on the cheap for about $ 5.00 per week. I do not think that I know anyone who could not spare five bucks per week to invest in the ability to feed yourself and your family in the event of being affected by some form of disaster/emergency.
 For just $ 5.00 +/- you can buy the following storable goods:

FOOD ITEMS
  • Five packages of Idahoan instant potatoes (flavored)
  • A case of ramen noodles (20 pkgs)
  • five cans of sardines
  • five gallons of purified water
  • nearly two cases of bottled water
  • four cans of peaches, pears or fruit cocktail
  • 2 jars of mandarin oranges
  • five pounds of rice
  • three to four pounds of spaghetti
  • Two cans of spaghetti sauce
  • three bags of egg noodles
  • eight packages of gravy mix
  • four cans of whole or sliced new potatoes
  • four cans of green beans or at least three cans of carrots, greens, peas or mixed veggies
  • Two cans of Yams
  • six cans of pork and beans
  • one 40 ounce can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew
  • Two 12 ounce cans of chicken, tuna or roast beef
  • One 1lb canned ham
  • three cans of refried beans
  • three 12 oz. cans of raviolis or spaghetti O's.
  • Two 12.5 ounce cans of Salmon
  • Five pounds of Oatmeal
  • Four packages Dinty Moore heat and eat meals
  • five packages of corn bread mix
  • Four pounds of Sugar
  • Five pound of Flour
  • 1.5 quarts of cooking oil
  • three one pound bags of dry beans
  • two cans of apple juice
  • a jar of peanut butter
  • two boxes of yeast
  • two bags of generic breakfast cereal
  • 10 8 oz cans of tomato paste/tomato sauce
  • four cans of soup
  • four cans of Chunky soup
  • 8-10 pounds of Iodized salt
  • two bottles of garlic powder or other spices
  • Two boxes of Kool-Aid
  • A can of coffee  
  • 2 bottles of powered coffee creamer     

• Non-Food Items
    • one manual can opener
    • two bottles of camp stove fuel
    • 100 rounds of .22lr ammo
    • 25 rounds of 12 ga. birdshot or small game loads
    • 20 rounds of Monarch 7.62x39 ammo
    • a spool of 12lb test monofilament fishing line
    • 2 packages of hooks and some sinkers or corks.
    • artificial lure
    • two packages of soft plastic worms
    • three Bic Lighters or two big boxes of matches
    • A package of tea lights
    • 50 ft of para cord
    • a roll of duct tape
    • a box of nails or other fasteners
    • a flashlight
    • two D-batteries, four AA or AAA batteries or two 9v batteries
    • a toothbrush and tooth paste
    • a bag of disposable razors
    • eight bars of ivory soap (it floats)
    • a box or tampons or bag of pads for the ladies
    • two gallons of bleach
    • needles and thread
    • a ball of yarn

• OTC Medications (at
      Dollar General)
    • 2 bottles 1000 count 500 mg generic Tylenol (acetaminophen)
    • 2 bottles 500 count 200 mg generic Advil (ibuprofen)
    • 2 boxes 24 count 25 mg generic Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCI)--also available at Walgreens under "sleep aids."
    • 4 bottles 500 count 325 mg aspirin
    • 2 boxes of generic Sudafed
    • 4 bottles of alcohol
    • a box of bandages (4x4)

•  Some of the items above will go for less than five bucks; some may go for slightly more. You get the drift... Good luck neighbors and God Bless.

There is a reason we call it preparedness and not prevention – it’s impossible to prevent unexpected disasters. The world is an unpredictable place and unfortunate situations are inevitable, however it is possible to prepare and increase your chances of safely mitigating a disaster that strikes your area. Survival is not about guarantees – there is always a gamble and the disaster typically has the house advantage. The only way to increase your odds is to plan and prepare in advance.

I would suggest the following:

#1 DO NOT worry about the apocalypse. Just worry about the power being out for a week; No grocery store, no gas, no electricity, etc.

You'll need water to drink and cook, you'll need a way to cook, you'll need food. You'll need to go potty. You might get sick. You may need to see in the dark.

So….

1. Stack some bottled water, soda, whatever it is you usually drink in the garage or wherever. If you usually drink this, great. Drink a case, buy a case.

2. Get some cans of food - stuff that does not need cooked (Like Ravioli, etc). If you like Ramen noodles or whatever, fantastic. You'll need some extra water! I keep Chef Boy on hand (The boys eat it all the time) and Pasta sauce/Spaghetti, along with canned Veggies. (Although I prefer fresh…)

3. It's a good idea to have a gas grill and propane. At least a little coleman camp stove and some fuel. I like to grill. You can bill water if you need to, you can cook meat from freezer before it goes bad, you could heat the ravioli if you wanted. Mostl;y I grill burgers or chicken on the weekend or even weeknights.

4. Have a place to dig a latrine, have some bio bags on hand, even if just Walmart plastic bags. Read up on how to do this. Og yeah…5 gal. bucket!. I actually have a camp potty seat (handy for camping also)

5. Keep a solid first aid kit on hand, and a supply of any emergency drugs you'll need.

6. Get some cheap LED lights and leave them around. Get a few good lights and leave them around. Get some spare batteries and glow sticks. Get some spare batteries. Most important….when it gets dark just go to sleep. Also - no candles. Candles make fires, fires burn things down.

There you go. If you have all of that for a week, or even two, you are more than ready than most.

Personal note: Every home IMO should have a 12g shotgun and handgun. But that's just me.
ALso - keep 20 gallons of gas on hand. No electric = no pumps running.

I think we would all be stunned at how many people think when it all goes wrong they'll just go to Walmart, get some stuff, and gas up on the way home. I think in 72 hours most people would be feeling some serious pain.
Baby steps $10 extra a week will fill a pantry,buy what you eat.Water is the biggest challenge due to space usage/weight,use 2lt bottles.If you can get flats for them they will stack up to 4 high.That will give one 32 2lt bottles that are stored.

Make a plan,follow it and don't panic.Everyone's situation is different,so will be their goals.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Make sure you have the essentials covered. Water, food, first aid, fire, shelter/clothing.

However, With the predicament this nation and world is in right now the best advice I can give to anyone is make sure you're right with Jesus cause He'll be here soon.

What I always tell someone new to this way of thinking is to start by covering the "Big Three" items every person will need to survive no matter where you are in this world.

1. Food
2. Clothing
3. Shelter

If you have a little of each... you have already started prepping.  

The next step is to expand (or add to) each until you feel you have enough to survive any disaster or what-have-you that may come along.

It is really just that simple, to over burden yourself in preparing for every type of SHTF or natural disaster scenario is heading down the wrong path.  All you will do is start collection tons of "stuff" that will end up collecting dust.

Stick with the big three and you'll make it though.
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them".
 - Albert Einstein -
Couldn't agree more. Like I said in the Doomsday Preppers thread, some folks get so focused on a very specific type of emergency that they ignore other, more likely situations.
Water first,you can live on short rations,water is vital daily.'08.

We started off by simply sitting down and figuring what we may need if a storm came through and the power was out for several days as well as roads blocked or dangerous to travel. For us in Florida that could be a likely scenario. So we sat and figured what would be useful for hunkering down and staying put;

• Enough water per person/per day
  • Food that didn't need to be refrigerated i.e. canned goods, pasta, lentils, oatmeal, jars of sauce, tuna etc
  • Something to cook with/on i.e. BBQ, camping stove and enough propane to last for a while
  • Lights would be nice if the power was out i.e. flashlights and a supply of batteries, lantern etc
  • Small solar power generator to run a light, blender, fan, computer etc

This train of thought then led to 'what if we can't stay put?'

• Grab-n-go bag with many of the above items + hygiene items i.e. B.O.B. (bug out bag)
  • A kit for the vehicle with much of the above + car related stuff like jumper cables etc i.e. GHB (get home bag)
  • Keeping vehicle in good repair and trying not to get below half a tank of gas

This train of thought led to having a few items on the person because you should just be prepared. Emergency situations don't make a reservation and usually come at pretty inconvenient times. This is the good ole EDC (every day carry).

So we just started working on a few things here and there. Stocking up a bit here and there while shopping i.e. extra couple of bags of lentils, oh, tuna's on sale so grab an extra 5 cans, oh, CVS has buy 1 get 1 on batteries so lets stock up a bit etc.

YT and boards like this were invaluable for seeing what others did/are doing. Some TV shows were helpful for establishing a proper self reliant mind set and beat the hell out of watching some inane sitcom. Reading some books and mags from people that were professionals and actually did this stuff for a living and 24/7 helped out as well.

So basically, sit down and think a few things through while you're not under any duress, get a game plan, do some research and then just start doing it.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
K.I.S.S..'08.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Level of preparedness - 72hr David 19 7,819 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: JRSC
  Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI David 13 5,280 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  Wild Fires and Preparedness Bob 7 2,087 05-02-2017, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Bob
Information Survival vs. Sustainable Self Reliance David 2 1,212 10-09-2016, 07:20 PM
  Level of preparedness - 30 days David 24 9,632 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Last Post: David
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 2,449 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,166 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM