Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bugout Moped?
(10-20-2015, 02:21 AM)Tsquare Wrote: I had a Puch moped when I was a kid. It was Italian made and held about 3 quarts in the gas tank. A full tank would get me about 65 miles. Here is a photo of what I had:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWOe1Nf620ivIatDVu8j7...jz0JDnMo-w]
A five gallon jerry can would give it a tremendous range. It didn't have a battery and had a magneto ignition so it would be fairly resistant to an EMP.

That one looks very similar to the one I rode back in the 80's.  Simply fantastic to get around on if you weren't on some major highway.  Saying that makes me laugh though as mopeds were very popular when I was stationed in Incirlik, Turkey.  The Turks would ride three or four people on these things and it was a wonder that they would actually go with that weight (keep in mind the average Turk isn't as large/heavy as the average American but still...)
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
(10-20-2015, 12:42 PM)David Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 02:21 AM)Tsquare Wrote: I had a Puch moped when I was a kid. It was Italian made and held about 3 quarts in the gas tank. A full tank would get me about 65 miles. Here is a photo of what I had:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWOe1Nf620ivIatDVu8j7...jz0JDnMo-w]
A five gallon jerry can would give it a tremendous range. It didn't have a battery and had a magneto ignition so it would be fairly resistant to an EMP.

That one looks very similar to the one I rode back in the 80's.  Simply fantastic to get around on if you weren't on some major highway.  Saying that makes me laugh though as mopeds were very popular when I was stationed in Incirlik, Turkey.  The Turks would ride three or four people on these things and it was a wonder that they would actually go with that weight (keep in mind the average Turk isn't as large/heavy as the average American but still...)

I got mine second hand when it was about a year old. I kept it for about 5 years and sold it to a younger cousin who did basically the same thing. It stayed in the extended family till the early 90's. We never had to do anything but basic maintenance and the replacement of consumables (tires, brakes, etc.). What was weird was all of the wiring was red. There were no markings on the wires or codes. We never had a wiring issue but it would have been a mess with every wire on it being the same color.
I'm pretty sure that the smaller one would quality it not as a moped but as a motorized bicycle, which are illegal to ride on streets under my states V & T laws.
Wouldn't bother buying something I could never legally use until the big day that everything crashes.
When that day comes I think the ability to move quietly will be more important than what little range that thing gives you
Bah - BMW F800GS

[Image: 2013-BMW-F-800-GS-Adventure-Launch-Edition-1.jpg]

I will say this…after Mountain bike camping with Dave - the mountain bike is key.

And the Moped - that would be a great step up as a car backup….
I think I can do without towing the trailer behind the bike though  Undecided

Particularly if the tires aren't properly inflated.  That was a major suck-fest.

This may sound funny, but I've actually contemplated tossing one of those little kick-scooters in the back of my car.  They'd be a bit quicker than the shoe leather express, especially down hill.

Tow it behind yer squad.'08. Wink
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Mopeds are great because of price. But have any if you considered any of the electric hunting ATVs like a Bad Boy Buggy?
(11-24-2015, 06:08 PM)JRSC Wrote: Mopeds are great because of price. But have any if you considered any of the electric hunting ATVs like a Bad Boy Buggy?

It would be great to have some sort of ATV, but I honestly can't justify the asking price.  IMHO the prices on some of these things are ridiculous.   But then I'm pretty frugal, or try to be.

I thought it was funny. Sad
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(11-25-2015, 02:35 AM)kirgi08 Wrote: I thought it was funny. Sad

Now, that is funny!