Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bugout Moped?
[Image: motoped-survival-bike-looks-like-a-milli...lery_5.jpg]

It comes in 2 flavors 49cc and 125cc. The 49cc has a 400 mile range on a tank of fuel. To me it is a bit pricey at $2500 and you have to put it together (49cc version).
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/motope...94270.html
I wouldn't pay that amount, but I like the concept.  I used a moped overseas back in the 80's to get around on base.  It was fantastic!  Don't know what make it was or the mileage it got but it seemed to run forever and a day.  I'd love to have something like this again without that price tag.  I'd prefer a plane-Jane model and I'd pimp it out myself.  

Although not as 'tacticool' I do see mopeds in the area of $500.

Link
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
It is a bit much. BTW, the saddle bags are auxiliary fuel tanks and it doesn't come with the tacticool stuff, just a rack to mount your stuff.
(10-16-2015, 01:26 AM)Tsquare Wrote: It is a bit much. BTW, the saddle bags are auxiliary fuel tanks and it doesn't come with the tacticool stuff, just a rack to mount your stuff.

Gotcha.  Well the auxiliary fuel tanks are a great idea.  Looking at the website they are 1 gallon each.  The range is 400-500 miles with a top speed of 24mph.  That is actually pretty impressive for this type of vehicle.  With a full tank and full auxiliary tanks you could potentially have a range of 1200-1500 miles.  Dependent of the load out of the vehicle of course, but still impressive. 

I see this as maybe a sub-$500 moped?  I confess I don't follow prices though.

Wonder how much it can carry,400mi is quite a range.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I'm wondering if I misread it.  It says, "Motoped says that the bike can do between 400 and 500 miles (640-800 km) on a single fill-up..." so I'm wondering if that is a single fill up of the primary take (1 gallon) or if a fill up considers both the auxiliary tanks as well? 

Also looking at the reviews, someone is calling BS on them saying they ordered 3 units six months ago and still haven't gotten them.  Craigslist is probably a better option if you want to go this route.  Or look at one of those engines you can put on a regular bike?  Someone (Gene maybe) was talking about them on the old board).  Wonder what kind of mileage they get?

Looks cool but I think you'd get more bang for the buck mounting an engine on a bicycle. Do a search for "motorized bicycles" and you will find all kinds of engine kits and forums. There is whole subculture out there of people who build and use those things.

Other ideas for mopeds are using conventional mopeds. Look at the Honda Ruckus and the Yamaha Zuma. They are cool, rugged little mopeds that have good reps. I met a guy who was riding a 50cc Rukus around the US. He was into about 11K miles at the time. Of course you could always buy a used moped/scooter from the 80s. I bought a Honda Spree at a garage sale for $50 a few years ago. It was an 86 and had been sitting for 25 years. Cleaned the carb, air filter, fuel lines and it started right up. Use it to buzz around campgrounds when RVing.
Found this interesting:

Using this link as an example

Gets 100-150 miles per gallon.  Can hit 25-40 mph depending on gear ratio and weight.  Fuel tank is 1/4 of a gallon so figure 25-37 miles per tank.

Here's a photo of guy I met on the road Honda Ruckus. One advantage of a moped is that they are minimally regulated. He bought his in N or S carolina where they are not registered or regulated. Not even a license plate, sticker or tag is required there. He said the only place he got stopped was in California and the cop let him go with a warning. My state requires a $30 sticker good for 3 years but no insurance or other requirements. Most mopeds are considered mopeds with engines under 50cc i.e., 49cc. and top speeds of 30mph. Fifty and over CCs are considered motorcycles in most states.

Of course nothing prevents someone from swapping a larger engine into an existing moped to get more power or faster speeds. That was fairly common in the local moped culture I was familiar with and the Honda Ruckus is popular for modifications. Those Lifan engines (notice the Motoped has one) are Chinese copies of Honda engines and are fairly common. In addition, some Chinese mopeds actually have limiters/governors on them that can be disabled for faster speeds. The other trick was to buy a scrap moped, register it and then put the sticker on similar looking model with a larger engine. Be aware that if you are doing 60 mph on small moped the police might eventually figure it out though I never heard of anyone getting caught.

Generally speaking a motorized bicycle is even less regulated, often consider nothing more than toys. The police often don't notice them. However, some are considered mopeds with the same restrictions of engine size and speed in some states. As I mentioned before, there are lots of forums for mopeds and motorized bikes. Even some forum for guys who do long distance rides on these things around the country. If really wanted a bug out bike/moped, put a gas engine on it AND...a hub motor (electric). Basically that gives you a hybrid. Gas for distance, electric for stealth. And if you hooked it up right you could probably charge the batteries while running the gas engine.

Here is the Ruckus...

[Image: Picture014-6.jpg]
I had a Puch moped when I was a kid. It was Italian made and held about 3 quarts in the gas tank. A full tank would get me about 65 miles. Here is a photo of what I had:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWOe1Nf620ivIatDVu8j7...jz0JDnMo-w]
A five gallon jerry can would give it a tremendous range. It didn't have a battery and had a magneto ignition so it would be fairly resistant to an EMP.