Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in a Cherokee
I think I may have gotten most things figured out. My main concern right now is parking. Not easy finding a safe place in Nola.
(11-16-2015, 08:57 PM)Anomander Rake Wrote: I think I may have gotten most things figured out. My main concern right now is parking. Not easy finding a safe place in Nola.

How to Live in Your Car
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Parking is taken care of. Bought an inexpensive sleeping bag last night, a Coleman 25° bag, that should suffice for what I need.
I've got a Coleman 32 degree sleeping bag, the mummy style, and it's pretty decent.  Should serve you well.  I got an inexpensive fleece blanket at Joann's Fabric to supplement it for those colder nights.  You can often get a package of two of them for like $20 which is a fantastic price.  

Where did you find parking?

I have some options on parking but my main spot will be at a church. For full disclosure the pastor offered to let me stay in an area they have set up for housing, which I may end up doing but will try to avoid.

Edit: this is not a random pastor. He is a friend and we have done a good deal of ministering together. That is another element that I have not made clear. I have a full time job but also pastor a small church. I am trying to let as few people know about this as possible as it could be a source of embarrassment for my congregation. It is complicated but I do want it to be clear that this is something I want to try so as to take care of debt quickly and to be a burden on no one.
I think what you're doing is awesome, and very commendable. I think it might also be an opportunity to draw closer to the Lord as well. I hope it's a wonderful experience for you.

I'll be moving out of my apartment at the end of the month. I'm going to try this. I have 2 friends I have told about my plans. They both have concerns, the greatest of which is my safety. One has tried to talk me out of it, the other is curious how its going to turn out. Funny thing is that it's a guy who is trying to talk me out of it and the other is an (ex)girl(friend).
Keep us posted on how you adjust to it. 

Be nice if you have wifi close to where you're parking for the night.

One of my sons did something similar. He took the shell of an old travel trailer (very small one), ripped everything out and then built it up again. He used a, oh I can' think of what it is called now, but it's a small sofa that flips out to a double bed. He had a camp stove for cooking, lanterns for lighting and brought in water for drinking. He had a port a potty and took showers either here or at a friends house. Cut his expenses way down and was able to get out of debt. He could have moved in with his dad and I but he wanted to do thing his way and we respected that. He used our back field from time to time. It was fine for him and that old camper, well now that he has 2 sons he uses it for camping and fishing with his boys. He did build a portable air conditioner using a cooler, copper pipe, ice and a fan and that cooled his camper off as well as my heat pump in the house. Was a mild winter that year so he didn't have heat but this candle and flowerpot idea seems like a winner to me.
Thanks for y'all's encouragement. I'll have internet access so keeping you up won't be an issue. This can hardly be called "roughing it." I'll have access to a nice church kitchen, gym shower, washing machine, etc. I wouldn't mind eventually getting a small camper as a more permanent domicile.