Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living in a Cherokee
(10-12-2015, 08:31 PM)David Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 06:47 PM)Ronin.45 Wrote: A cheap cooler should work better than a bucket just for keeping ice longer.

Would the damp towels or t-shirt even work in a humid place like New Orleans or Florida? I assume the theory is cooling through evaporation.

That's a good question.  Probably be better in a dry heat environment, but worth a shot maybe to see the results.  The cooler is probably a better idea and I noticed he had some sort of Styrofoam lining in the 5 gallon bucket.  I'll look around and see what's available and cheap.

A five gallon bucket with lid is about $5 at Lowes or Home Depot.  I have a roll of Reflex for lining my DIY hammock for cold weather use that would insulate the bucket very well.  Now just looking for a battery & USB fan that would push enough air to make a difference.

I'm going to try an experiment on this video. Cold weather coming, I want to see if you can replace the ice with 2 large candles, turn the fan on low, maybe put a small piece of sheet metal over the top and see if this can be used for a heater that is just as good as the AC works. And hopefully is safe enough so no fires come about.
Try something like this:

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
No mater what it is there is a sub culture in this country doing it. Google "van dwellers" which will expose you to a whole society of people who live in vans, cars, utility trailers etc, off the grid and in the boon docks. Fascinating stuff.
A slight drift from the OP, but I see 'tiny houses' really starting to get popular.  My wife and I like to watch the DIY and house hunting shows and last night was 'Tiny House Hunters'.  Pretty interesting.

I remember some prefab tiny houses in MS after a storm. Don't remember which one but you couldn't just buy one. In sure they had to do with FEMA.
(10-25-2015, 08:20 PM)Anomander Rake Wrote: I remember some prefab tiny houses in MS after a storm. Don't remember which one but you couldn't just buy one. In sure they had to do with FEMA.

These are the type you can buy.  Saw one that was like 30K and some others upwards of 60K.  All depends on what you're looking for and the options you feel are important.  For some it's a great way to go.  And some of those houses are actually pretty cool.

(10-23-2015, 05:31 PM)David Wrote: A slight drift from the OP, but I see 'tiny houses' really starting to get popular.  My wife and I like to watch the DIY and house hunting shows and last night was 'Tiny House Hunters'.  Pretty interesting.

"Tiny Houses"  LOL. Otherwise known as expensive designer travel trailers for hipsters.  Travel trailers have been around for 100 years and "house trailers" are not even a new idea. google "park model trailers". They've been around for 40 years. Everything old is new again.

edited to add....I'm not really disparaging "Tiny Houses". They are kind of cool looking. I actually have an old travel trailer that has some water damage and is no longer road worthy. The frame, windows and appliances are still good however so I was thinking of stripping it down and building a "tiny house" type guest house on it. If you know anything about travel trailers/RVs you know you can often restore or rebuild cheaper than you can buy new.
Welp, living in my jeep is looking more likely. After my rent check goes through I'll have about $30 to last me until Friday. Outfitting my guns is not a wise thing to do with razor thin margins!
Let us know if you do, we'll try to assist you as we are able with suggestions, links etc.  Kinda an adventure that may save you big $ in the long run.

Yeah, I may do it. I figure I could rent a storage facility to put my seasonal clothing and various items. I'll put more thought into it.