Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC FAK
I don't know if I've posted it on this forum or not, but I have a deep love for Walgreens. Why? because they almost always have a buy one, get one half off sale on first aid stuff.

I'm not a big fan of 'pre made' FAKs.

I prefer to buy 2 (or 1 and a half, see above) boxes of 2x2 gause, assorted bandaids, tape, etc, all the goodies, then break them apart and pack them in ziplock bags. They are smaller, lighter, and lay flatter than a pre made, and tend to carry more things and more things that you'll actually use. Seriously why are there Q tips in a first aid kit? Do I really need to field expedite remove ear wax during a zombie invasion?

Also, when you have 2 large boxes of bandaids laying around, you run out of excuses to have them. I somehow manage to cut myself all the time, so I keep 1 or 2 in the folds of my wallet, a handful in my briefcase, in my desk drawer at work, in my glove compartment. etc..

point is, it's a lot easier and harder to argue with a half dozen bandaids in a sandwhich bag in someone's backpack than even the smallest hard plastic box you can get..

and, also, it's a LOT less expensive over the long run
My method is a half and half with FAKs. Buying a premade kit ensures that you have the basics. The good thing is that you can add preferred and more useful items as the lesser items run out. Sometimes, having a regular old store bought FAK is better than nothing. And works out financially sometimes.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(08-02-2016, 11:29 PM)ric0123 Wrote: I don't know if I've posted it on this forum or not, but I  have a deep love for Walgreens. 

For the same reason I love the $ store. Most stuff is decent or good and you can't beat the price.  I'll use Walgreens for the stuff I can't get at the $ store like Wound Seal and such.  I've gotten several of those free red FAK zip pouches at Walgreens (when you buy some other stuff) and they're great for the BOB and dayhike packs.  I like red because it's easily identifiable as first aid stuff in case someone else is getting it for you or to use on you.

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Thanks for that post! I like the dollar store, my wife LOVES the dollar store, and I've raided the med section many a time... This gave me a bit more focus... I may have to try to stop by tomorrow. We'll see. My wife just got me a cool anniversary gift (a bit early) and it has some applicability here, so I'll be posting again soon, but in the mean time, I'll see what I can find on the cheap.

CVS Health First Aid Kit Case

For my Maxped Lunada and my day hike bag I use the above linked FAK case and stock it with the stuff I think will be useful.  For my EDC bag I'll need something a bit smaller/more compact.  I've settled on a bag that is the same size as the Maxped Remora which is the next size down from the Lunada.  Although the above FAK will fit, it doesn't leave much room in the main compartment for other items I like to have handy in an EDC.  I was at Walmart yesterday and looked at several.  One that caught my eye was this inexpensive one:

Be Smart Get Prepared First Aid Kit, 85 pc

Slightly larger than the small kit you'd get at the $ store and I like the type of latches it has on the case.  It looks to have a bit of extra room to add some items I would consider useful.  It wouldn't be big enough to hold the Israeli bandages I like to have available, but those are self contained so don't have to be inside a kit necessarily.  It's also hard plastic and at the very least water resistant to protect the contents.  And it's inexpensive.

I have this in the front of bag:

https://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine...uId=572859

I added a few more bandages and cream. Also in the front pocket I have a small bottle of Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

In the main section, on the back pocket I have a chest seal, trauma pak (https://smile.amazon.com/Adventure-Medic...trama+pack), and an Israel bandage. On the back compartment I have a tourniquet.

I opted for not going with a larger pre-made first aid kit since I have one of those in my SUV and in my GHB. I figure for EDC it was going to be mostly small scratches and such or the very other extreme, so that is the way I laid out my bag.
Those little Johnson & Johnson First Aid on the Go kits are actually not bad for an EDC.  I've purchased several of them from the $ store.  They come with some small, common items that are useful but also have a little room left over to add a few more things.  I like to add iodine wipes and a few more different sizes of bandage.  

I need to strike the right balance of what would likely be needed vs. the amount of available space for the size bag we both have.  A small amount of various sized bandaids, perhaps a few different sizes of gauze pad, anti-bacterial ointment, alcohol/iodine wipes, some wound seal items like a Quik-Clot sponge and/or the small sized powder packets.  Add in an Israeli bandage and Israeli wound dressing and it would go a long way for having something handy on your person.  I like the little butterfly bandages and maybe the finger splints as well.  Just have to strike the right balance and appropriately sized kit.