Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC FAK
Question 
Anyone EDC any type of FAK?  If so, what do you generally carry with you or have in your immediate area?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Only in my vehicles... commercial FAK in 12x12x6 metal case. Picked 3 up when a local company went out of business.
They contain most of normal items in that size but also minor surg package for like stitches
(btw , good skill to learn... I learned from utube using paper template then chickens before cooking, had emt training from work )

On my person, only wallet band aides.
I'm considering this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/FIRST-AID-ONLY...t/40834416

It's a bit small, but seems to have all the essentials. And the price is right.
That's a pretty cool little pack!

My stuff is in my car - my main bag Adventure Medical kit.
(12-18-2015, 12:03 AM)Bob Wrote: That's a pretty cool little pack!

My stuff is in my car - my main bag Adventure Medical kit.

I've looked into them. Sooner or later, I'm going to get one as well for a main. Right now, for my edc in the truck the one above will become my go to.
I'm trolling old threads at 2am.

For whatever reason, I get cut a lot. I'm very often bleeding, small cuts on my fingers at work. I'm also in and out of the office pretty often. My problem with pre fab kits is that they never have enough of the things you do need and too much stuff you don't. However, they are a handy place to get started. Walmart and walgreens both have the white, Johnson and Johnson pocket first aid kits. I've seen them as low as 99cent and as high as $3. They are just a little bigger than an altoids tin. That's what I use, but there is a lot of dead space in them, so i'll fill it with extra bandages of various sizes, and two ampules of 'urgent QR' which is a clotting agent like quick clot, just in case there is something major. That makes a kit that's actually handy and small enough to put in my briefcase or field bag without taking up space or weight.
I am a big fan of the liquid bandage for small cuts and scrapes. I have a bottle of this in my primary FAK and in the FAK that is in the trunk of both cars and behind the seat of my truck.
(04-17-2016, 07:16 AM)ric0123 Wrote: I'm trolling old threads at 2am.

For whatever reason, I get cut a lot. I'm very often bleeding, small cuts on my fingers at work. I'm also in and out of the office pretty often.  My problem with pre fab kits is that they never have enough of the things you do need and too much stuff you don't. However, they are a handy place to get started. Walmart and walgreens both have the white, Johnson and Johnson pocket first aid kits. I've seen them as low as 99cent and as high as $3.  They are just a little bigger than an altoids tin.  That's what I use, but there is a lot of dead space in them, so i'll fill it with extra bandages of various sizes, and two ampules of 'urgent QR' which is a clotting agent like quick clot, just in case there is something major. That makes a kit that's actually handy and small enough to put in my briefcase or field bag without taking up space or weight.

Over the years I've picked up several of these from the $ store.  I agree that for what it is and what it costs it's a good start.  I usually take the little tape roll out as it's not enough to really be useful.  Then I'll fill it with more useful items.  I like to put a piece of silver reflective tape on each side and a piece of the glow-in-the-dark duct tape just so it's wildly visible and I'll also take a red marker and color in a big red cross on each side.  I figure that way it's easily identifiable in case someone is getting it for me or someone else.  I also have a couple of orange zipper pouches from the $ store.  Only comes with a few items but I bought it mainly for the orange zippered pouch anyway. 

Good tip on that Urgent QR!  I've got Quik Clot sponges in my pack but I really like these for a small FAK.  I'm going to stop by Walgreens and pick up a few of the little plastic boxes that have 4 powdered applications.  Great to have in an EDC FAK and they've got great reviews on both Amazon and WG's website.  Thanks for that tip!

(04-17-2016, 12:09 PM)Tsquare Wrote: I am a big fan of the liquid bandage for small cuts and scrapes. I have a bottle of this in my primary FAK and in the FAK that is in the trunk of both cars and behind the seat of my truck.

Great tip, I'm going to add this as well.  Thanks Smile

Super glue works.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.