Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Water filters (on the go)
Information 
I've purchased multiple filters for various circumstances.  I thought I'd list them here along with reference information for those interested.  First on the list are two different 1L bottles that I keep in the GHB's in each vehicle. 

Sawyer Personal Water Bottle with Filter

Link

[Image: SP140-bottle1-498x480.jpg]

[*]The PointONE filter removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium

[*]All Sawyer water filters meet or exceed Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommended removal rates

[*]The included filter is designed to have a high flow rate so you can get fresh, clean water from your bottle easily and instantly.

[*]Our filters are fully field maintainable and with the included backwash syringe, you can always ensure a fast flow of water.

[*]We think the bottle we’ve included is pretty sweet, but just in case you don’t we’ve design the cap in standard 63mm, to fit on most other wide-mouth water bottles.

[*]

[*]

[*]The above video touches on several of the Sawyer products in addition to the water bottle.

[*]Sawyer MINI Water Filter

Link

[Image: SP105-21-498x480.jpg]

[*]Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness

[*]The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium

[*]High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)

[*]Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable bottles (28 mm thread), hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source

Sawyer Squeeze™ Filter System

Link

[Image: SP129-on-pouch-498x480.jpg]

Sawyer PointONE™ All in One Filter

Link

[Image: SP181-Components-498x480.jpg]

[*]PERFECT for emergency preparedness kits.

[*]We’ve designed the parts to install quickly and easily in every method of use.

[*]The “build your own gravity system” can yield up to 540 gallons of clean water per day from any fresh water source.

[*]Going backpacking? Just fill up the 32 fl. oz. water pouch at a fresh water source, screw the filter onto the pouch and squeeze the bag to filter water into your water bottle or container of choice.

[*]The filter also has a built-in push/pull cap, designed so you can drink directly from the filter.

[*]Our advanced Squeeze filter design fills most regular size water bottles in only 20 sec.

[*]The PointONE filter removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium

[*]Attach the filter to the included faucet adapter to filter water straight from almost any household faucet

[*]We’ve included syringe to backflush the filter for an ability to maintain the filter in the field as well as to promote a high-flow rate

[*]The PointOne will also fit the threads on most bottles of water that you buy at a grocery store; perfect for international travel

[*]The filter comes with a Lifetime Warranty.

I've included this one as 'on the go' as part of it can be taken and used like the filters above.

Sport Berkey Water Bottle

Link

[Image: sport-berkey-water-bottle.jpg]

Refill Capacity
Water From Questionable Source: 160 Refills (25 gallons) 

Municipal Water supply: 640 Refills (100 Gallons)
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Plus one on the Sawyer products and the prices of these products make them very approachable. What, Sawyer mini costs $20 at the Wmart.
The next time I have the opportunity I'm going to get a Sawyer mini. I feel it's a good investment. I carry gear for a fire and have iodine in my BOB/GHB. But I think these are important for the issue of ever having to get some quick hydration and don't have the time to start a fire or wait for the drops to work.
(10-06-2015, 12:57 AM)JRSC Wrote: The next time I have the opportunity I'm going to get a Sawyer mini. I feel it's a good investment. I carry gear for a fire and have iodine in my BOB/GHB. But I think these are important for the issue of ever having to get some quick hydration and don't have the time to start a fire or wait for the drops to work.

I think you'll be well satisfied. 

Here are some links I'm seeing:

Ebay

Amazon

Another Ebay link:

Ebay

The link I have in the above post is for a Sawyer Mini with squeeze bag, back flush syringe and straw for $19.20.  That's about the best price that I've seen so I place an order.  I already have several Sawyer products, including two of the mini's for hiking but want for the family to start EDC'ing them as well.  This Ebay vendor is USA and has a 100% rating so I anticipate a smooth transaction. 

These will replace those little Aquamire Frontier life straws that are only good for 30 gallons.  The Mini is only a bit bigger and can filter up to 100,000 gallons and comes with a way to clean the filter.  And the difference in price is only $10 so I figure that's pretty good trade up.

I keep enough on me to clean/use 10ga.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Me and my cuz went on a camping and hiking trip to the mountains last weekend. Steep, tough terrain wore us out. We had some water but needed more. Had to boil water... Not bad, but I was thinking if this were a real survival situation, this would be too time consuming and tedious. We're investing in Sawyer filters for next time. It really helps to be able to drink straight from a river and have no concerns. I learned a good lesson.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.
(04-21-2016, 03:36 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: I keep enough on me to clean/use 10ga.'08.

Do you mean at home or BOL?

These are more for when you're away from your main preps.  I have them on hikes and camping of course, but I always remember a story told on GT a few years ago (was it Mac or BD?) about using his wife's car and it getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere.  IIRC it took like 7 hours or something to get it going again and by that time he'd used up the water he had with him and was starting to feel it.  In Florida it's hard to go a great distance and not hit water, particularly in this part of Florida.  So I always have that story in the back of my mind.  These little Sawyer Mini's are like 2oz and will filter more water than you'd need in an emergency.  Easy to have one on hand.

I keep a lifestraw in my backpack, one in a saddlebag on the motorcycle, and in the glove box of my truck. I have a couple more in my BOB and at my BOL.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water Well pump kit for sale. Awesome! ric0123 1 111 07-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Tsquare
Question So how much water DO you need? David 11 2,788 02-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: bdcochran
  Bulk Water storage part 42387514 ric0123 17 3,283 09-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Water distillation David 9 3,241 09-23-2017, 12:57 AM
Last Post: David
Question Survival water bottle poll David 19 4,954 07-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: bmyers
  Rain Water Collection Thread JRSC 23 8,722 06-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: David
  Water Filter tests.. ric0123 2 946 06-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Last Post: ric0123
  Home Brew water filters ric0123 2 1,175 06-01-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Kieller
  AquaRain and Survivor Filters are the best Author Raymond Dean White 2 1,080 05-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Author Raymond Dean White
  Bottled water? Ronin.45 12 4,093 05-11-2017, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Kieller