Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY Fuel Tabs
Video 
Another father/son project [Image: smile.gif]

I have an esbit stove. Good piece of gear and useful. The fuel tabs are all over the place in price, I've seen 12 for $6 and I've seen 24 for $4.95 not counting S&H. So figure a single fuel tab is anywhere from 20 cents each up to maybe 50 cents or higher. And the little round ones, the ones we tested today, you'd need several of them to really get the job done i.e. boil water/cook food.

So a little trip through YT land brought up a new project: DIY fuel tabs.

All this entails is;

An empty cartoon of eggs (the paper/cardboard ones)
Melted candle wax
Cotton rounds (or dryer lint or cotton balls etc)

I simply cut the top off the cartoon, put a single cotton round in the bottom of each egg slot, ripped the top into small pieces and put them on top of the cotton rounds, poured melted wax into each slot and then used the little wicks that I got from the tea candles I melted and put one wick in each slot.

We tested it against one fuel tab. The fuel tab burned for 9 minutes, but I think at LEAST two would have been needed and probably three.

The DIY version burned big and bright for 10 minutes. I figure the DIY version is about 3 cents each. I think one would have brought water to a boil.

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Looking at the video my first thought was to use a blend of cotton and wood shaving pet bedding. Back in the olden days 1970's we used fire lighters made of compressed flaked wood impregnated with paraffin wax to light our fires at home and camping.
(07-12-2015, 12:58 AM)Wolfman Wrote: Looking at the video my first thought was to use a blend of cotton and wood shaving pet bedding. Back in the olden days 1970's we used fire lighters made of compressed flaked wood impregnated with paraffin wax to light our fires at home and camping.

Yep, that would work great.  I've seen folks use saw dust and I also use dryer lint.  Cheap and easy with a big flame and long burn time.  Can't get better than that Smile

I made a bunch of these with Dave and much better than store bought for much less money. We used all kinds of materials to make them, just a little tiki torch fluid and wax and your in bussiness.