Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenario #3 - inconvenient to worse case
Exclamation 
Scenario One - Inconvenient:

Your at work. A situation occurs such as a power outage or perhaps a storm. Nothing life threatening but it looks like you'll maybe have to spend the night where you work because either the lights aren't working or it's just too risky getting out on the road. Cell service is still operable and the family is safe at home. What's your plan?

Scenario Two - Starting to kinda suck:

Same situation as above but it's a Friday and it looks like whatever services you need to get home are going to be slow going over the weekend (i.e. restoring roads and/or lights to serviceable conditions). Maybe you'll get out tomorrow or maybe Sunday. Family is safe at home and you still have cell service but the land lines are currently down. Of course your cell phone doesn't have enough juice for a whole weekend trapped at work and electricity currently is out. What's your plan?

Scenario Three - Worse Case:

The situation is severe. Could be a bad storm that threatens the whole area. Could be wide spread grid-down. Either way there is panic in the streets. You've seen looters and shots have been fired in the distance. Electricity and cell service aren't working at all. You hope you're family has all made it home and are safe with whatever game plan you've prepared ahead of time...but you can't verify it from your present location. What's your plan.

As with other scenarios I've created a general situation but left some/many details nebulous so that you can fill in particulars for your situation/game plan.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
To be honest David,none of those would affect us locally.My .5 however is a computer/hardware/software salesman,she is in Canada rt now.If something happens getting her home maybe a problem.Depending on the event we would go get her.We are planning on a ruff winter here/28748,got 8 cords ready here and 20 cords at the cabin.Deer season will be starting soon,I will attempt to get 2 and fill our game freezer.

There are 2 different freezers in our homes,normal use and game use,the 1st is used daily,the 2nd is not.We have alarms on the gf in case of a breakdown.That's a ton of meat we can't afford to loose,the standard one is for ice cream ect.I do need to loose that one.They had a sale on mayfelds ice cream here/local brand.I got 5 quarts of moose tracks,she don't know it yet.'08.   Big Grin
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Mayfield Moose Tracks is addictive for my wife. I buy it in the 1/2 pint size because no matter what the size it is she can make it all disappear in less than 24 hours.

I am on the road 95% with work so it could get interesting. I keep a close eye on the national weather scene so the only natural disaster that will surprise me is earthquakes and I don't travel to Kalifornia too often. Land lines and cell being down is no problem for me as I have a sat-phone.

Scenario One - Inconvenient: Shelter in place or when possible try to make it to the BOL to meet up with the family.

Scenario Two - Starting to kinda suck: Same as #1.

Scenario Three - Worse Case: Same as #1
When we had the big power failure in 03 I was at work. Because of my job I couldn't leave (I was the DPS and emergency manager of a large community college). I called home and talked to my wife. She got hold of the kids, my sons were in high school, daughter in jr. high. They dug out the generator and supplies and cooked on the grill that night. The young couple next door had a newborn so they hooked their refrigerator up to our generator as well. We ran the gen, two hours every six and the boys guarded the gen. I stayed at work. I worked in a western suburb of Detroit and lived in a north eastern burg about 25 miles away. It was in August and the natives were restless in the city for the next several nights (some looting and fires). I finally got home after two nights and all was well. My wife always remembers that she felt safe and secure because we were prepared and very few of the neighbors were.
4k on a 82in tv or spent on supplies.'08.  Huh
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
(09-25-2015, 12:34 PM)mac66 Wrote: When we had the big power failure in 03 I was at work.  Because of my job I couldn't leave (I was the DPS and emergency manager of a large community college).  I called home and talked to my wife.  She got hold of the kids, my sons were in high school, daughter in jr. high. They dug out the generator and supplies and cooked on the grill that night. The young couple next door had a newborn so they hooked their refrigerator up to our generator as well. We ran the gen, two hours every six and the boys guarded the gen.  I stayed at work. I worked in a western suburb of Detroit and lived in a north eastern burg about 25 miles away. It was in August and the natives were restless in the city for the next several nights (some looting and fires). I finally got home after two nights and all was well. My wife always remembers that she felt safe and secure because we were prepared and very few of the neighbors were.

In regards to the highlighted portion, that's the actual key to the whole thing right there in a nutshell.  In any type of situation the stress level is going to be high...maybe through the roof.  Why add on to it by not being able to deal with the situation as it unfolds?  By putting some thought into things when you're under no stress and can make cool, calm decisions you can help reduce stress if/when a situation does happen.  Reduced stress leads to better decision making.

(09-23-2015, 01:19 PM)David Wrote: Scenario One - Inconvenient:

Your at work. A situation occurs such as a power outage or perhaps a storm. Nothing life threatening but it looks like you'll maybe have to spend the night where you work because either the lights aren't working or it's just too risky getting out on the road. Cell service is still operable and the family is safe at home. What's your plan?

Call and verify the family is secure.  In my location finding a place to sleep isn't an issue.  If for some reason services are down at work I've got several MRE's in my locker and ways to obtain and filter water. 

Quote:Scenario Two - Starting to kinda suck:

Same situation as above but it's a Friday and it looks like whatever services you need to get home are going to be slow going over the weekend (i.e. restoring roads and/or lights to serviceable conditions). Maybe you'll get out tomorrow or maybe Sunday. Family is safe at home and you still have cell service but the land lines are currently down. Of course your cell phone doesn't have enough juice for a whole weekend trapped at work and electricity currently is out. What's your plan?

Pretty much the same as #1 except to add that I normally have means to recharge my phone.  Anywhere from a 2200mAh battery recharger up to a 15000mAh depending on how much for knowledge of an event I have. 

Quote:Scenario Three - Worse Case:

The situation is severe. Could be a bad storm that threatens the whole area. Could be wide spread grid-down. Either way there is panic in the streets. You've seen looters and shots have been fired in the distance. Electricity and cell service aren't working at all. You hope you're family has all made it home and are safe with whatever game plan you've prepared ahead of time...but you can't verify it from your present location. What's your plan.

I've put a lot of thought into this one over the years.  First off was to make our BIL as safe and secure as possible.  Food, water, lighting, defense and other basics like sanitation are covered.  This allows me to have a level of peace in that area to enable me to concentrate on my immediate needs and plan of action.

Much will depend on the actual situation.  If it's simply a bad storm like a hurricane or some such event then it is just a matter of time before a level of normalcy is restored.  At least as far as travel is concerned.  However, the amount of time can be from several hours to several weeks depending upon the severity of the situation.  Looking at it from an actual worse-case-scenario basis such as regional/national grid down, mass rioting/looting, coordinated terrorist attacks or some event that makes it extremely dangerous with an unknown quantity of time before normalcy returns is a challenge.  I know multiple routes to get home on foot if roads can't be travelled via a vehicle.  This gives me several options.  Some routes would take me away from main population centers but are on bridges over big bodies of water.  The shortest bridge is 3 1/2 miles and the longest two are around 9 miles each.  They would leave you somewhat exposed, however, they may be the road less travelled depending upon the situation.  I have other routes that are strictly over land with options to get off main roads and travel cross-country (woods and swamp mostly).  Each has it's own hazards of course.

I'm 20-22 miles from home depending upon the route I take.  Cross-country could be longer or short depending upon many factors.  The items at work (MRE's stored in locker) as well as in my GHB (filters, water, FAK, lights, fire-making devices, rain gear etc) are available.  I'll have as a minimum my sidearm and now my trunk gun (995TS) in a case. 

I don't mind the shoe leather express but quickness and ease of travel will depend greatly on the conditions.  Travel may be safest at night.  I've mentally logged landmarks along the way on several routes so that I have an approximate of the distance I've travelled and how much distance remains.  I've mentally logged multiple places of comparative safety should I have to hole up for an extended period of sleep or eat or whatever.  How fast I can cover 20-22 miles will depend upon factors that will be unknown until it happens.  The average speed a person can walk is about 3 miles per hour.  That number can greatly decrease depending upon lots of things.  Is it raining? Is it dark?  What is the level of danger?  Am I evading that danger?  What is the terrain like at the time?  What is my overall health at the time?  I'm thinking best case, with some breaks to hydrate or perhaps munch on some food for energy, catch my breath etc...10 hours.  I figure that number could easily turn into 3 days.  All depends on what's going on and the severity of it's effects.  So I've planned on having enough calories for 3 days (3 MRE's stored at work).  That could easily be stretched with proper rationing.  Water isn't a concern in my area and I have the ability to filter-on-the-move.  I can stay warm or stay cool depending upon what is needed. 

I've thought about a folding bike or even a simple kick scooter.  Sounds funny but if the ground is traversable via a scooter you can really put some distance on one in a short amount of time.  Not as fast as biking, but faster than walking.  If you hit a decline then you're really doing well.

So that would be my plan if necessary.

Level 1 and 2, I go home. Power outages and blocked highways won't keep me at work overnight or the weekend.

Level 3, still probably go home. It'll be tougher and slower, but if sheet is really going down, I want to have my gear. Family is not an immediate concern.
1. Snooze in the car, go home when safe

2. Snooze in the car a little longer, eat bars/water from bag in car.  Go home when safe.

3. Hard to believe that happened without notice, but….Family would be home safe.  I'm heading out and back to home when reasonable.

In the last situation my strategy is always 
a. Be ready
b. Leave First
c. Be at home to hunker down.
I'd have likely loaded the car with extra food, water, and my main bag
Been a while, btt. Feel free to expand on the OP.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social unrest or worse? David 22 491 07-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Last Post: JRSC
Exclamation Scenario #2 - inconvenient to worse case David 6 1,532 07-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: kirgi08
Exclamation Scenario - inconvenient to worse case David 8 2,431 07-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: bmyers