40%
50%
60%
70%
80%
90%
100%
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level of preparedness - 30 days
Okay, we've got threads/polls on 72 hours and SHTF/TEOTWAWKI so I figured to fill in the gap.  This one is for an event that lasts 30 days.  Could be from a number of different situations of course, but the basic premise is that basic services (food, fuel, first responder etc) are severely limited or non-existent for a period of 30 days. 

How would you fare?

As always in these types of threads, it is for educational purposes to the extent that someone posts something that you haven't thought of or a piece of gear/training/skill/knowledge you don't have but realize you need to acquire.  So how would you do for 30 days?
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I'm going 30%. But feel sure we could do well for 30 days. When/if I can get that generator it'd be a major help.
I realize that the time of year plays a major role for some folks due to their location.  Winter in Florida isn't the same as winter in Wisconsin.  The weather also plays a role in that it's hard to compare a major ice storm up north to a major hurricane in the south.  So the question has to be somewhat generic for the poster to fill-in-the-blanks as to what is likely to affect them.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I live in NY, last year it was very cold here....the 30 day rule will prob be close to the max right now in winter. ( summer = 3x that or 90 days )
Food, water, meds, supplies all no problems, big problem is gas/gennie for the oil based furnace.

Right now I have a gen that's 6k continuous... at its best running load , <50%, it get almost 2 hours per gallon of gas. I'd need to run at least 3hrs per day ( morning/noon/night) to keep things up heat wise or 1.5 gallons per day. So 30 days is 45-50 gallons.
Stock is usu 2-5 gal cans, 5 in the gen, 6 in the MC ( 21+ gal easy access ) then the 3 cars could supply ( save 4w truck just in case ) another 30 gal+ on avg base on fill.
I do have a boat caddie 25 gallon tank, but that's usu empty unless a storm coming is known.

I have thought about it recently due to the last storm , Sandy, when I was out 7 days+.
Solutions so far are
1) small gen thats very fuel efficient like the small honda inverter types just for furnace ( easy to hook up to gen-tran box )
2)diesel gen which runs on #2 oil for possible larger supply with out rotating problems, add addition tank.
3) wood stove in basement to attach to existing flue/chimmey setup ( watch the co here )
4) larger propane tank for f/p ( uses 1-100 lb now , but larger prob not wife approved Smile ) can store 2 extra 100lb in shed away from house.
Years,barring a NBC event.The only variant is meds,my fil/mil are both in the medical field.He being a gp and her a retired head trauma nurse.We got a ton of long term covered,food/fuel/heat/water.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
I have about a month supply on hand at the house. The primary BOL can sustain a much longer period. Like Kirgi, the meds are my limiting factor as I have about a 6 month supply.
Spending much time traveling and working on my cabin in the north this summer that I have neglected keeping up supplies at home. Need to refill the gas cans and water barrels and restock some food.
(09-24-2015, 08:46 PM)Tsquare Wrote: I have about a month supply on hand at the house. The primary BOL can sustain a much longer period. Like Kirgi, the meds are my limiting factor as I have about a 6 month supply.

Six months is a very good supply.
For long term over 30 days, meds that are truly need will be a major problem ( like insulin. etc )... Luckily none of mine or wife's are critical.
With my folks ( now my mother ) I had her lose meds over a period of time to give her backups ... now with a good  backup supply she just rotates them as new ones come.
Dry pills last a long time after the end date ( many 90% effective at 10yrs with good storage )
They now have long term insulin that doesn't need refrigeration.Lucifers Hammer describes the method. '08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quantity has a quality all of its own.
(09-25-2015, 02:30 PM)kirgi08 Wrote: They now have long term insulin that doesn't need refrigeration.Lucifers Hammer describes the method. '08.

Wasn't that a sci-fi book wriiten in late 70s ? Meds have gone a long way since then.
I know about 2+ yrs shelf life of insulin if kept in refrigerator but not better than that. ( not talking pills which might help a type 2 )

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Financial Preparedness / Next Recession Bob 3 179 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
Last Post: mac66
Question Your advice to someone new to emergency preparedness and/or self reliance David 35 24,339 07-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: bmyers
Question Level of preparedness - 72hr David 19 10,073 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Last Post: JRSC
Question Level of preparation - 90 days David 10 4,289 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Level of preparedness - SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWTI David 13 7,184 09-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Tom Mac
  And we are again 60 days out from Hurricane Season... Bob 38 12,540 09-07-2017, 01:49 AM
  TaxFree Prepper Days! Bob 0 1,032 06-03-2017, 01:05 AM
  Wild Fires and Preparedness Bob 7 3,093 05-02-2017, 02:22 AM
  Survival and Preparedness 2016 JRSC 4 3,171 01-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  Preparedness and Thanksgiving. Bob 5 2,977 11-28-2015, 12:51 AM