Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zippers or Buttons.
As fasteners,I'm switching over to buttons,most of my clothing britches/shirts have buttons,not zippers.The reasoning behind it is I can replace a button in the field,not a zipper.Most of my edw clothing is buttoned,cargo shorts/bdus,the only thing that ain't is my bdu m65 field jacket.I do have ykk re/zips but installing one would take time.

Buttons are easier to fix and we have heavy gauge carpet thread to help with strength.I can sew,it ain't pretty.It's however strong and will keep out the elements.Sewing is a useful skill to acquire,knitting/crochet is another.My mom/grandma crocheted quilts and comforters that'll sweat you out in cold weather.The downside is that they are heavy,homebound heavy.Then again,it's easier to warm than cool.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
This is not as sexy a subject as buying the latest whizbang, but more important.

I became interesting in "sewing repairs" when I started doing leatherwork.  Very few people have the money for an industrial sewing machine - and I wasn't in that group.  So, I researched needles and thread.  I could have saved a lot of time by going to the local thread store. 

You buy needles and thread capable of handling velcro, nylon straps, leather projects.  Then when you buy the $50 Janzz book bag for $10 delivered, as I did, you can sew the broken straps and keep $40 in your pocket.

There is a local zipper manufacturer in Los Angeles.  Does youtube videos on how to repair zippers.  When your ski parka gets busted, rather than throwing it away, repair the zipper and save money.  After shtf, and the zipper is broken, you won't be able to replace with buttons and button holes on that valuable jacket.  Learn to repair them now and buy an assortment of zippers.

My sewing repair kit is extensive and is used.  Today, I will put a replacement button on a Tuxedo shirt.
I carry a sewing kit in my edc bag.'08.
If you look like food,you will be eaten.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
I think the reliance on zippers is an Achilles heel for a lot of outdoor clothing and even such stuff as BOBs. There's a reason the military avoided zippers for decades on pretty much all uniform items and field gear. Buttons can be replaced. A broken zipper not so easily, particularly in a field environment.
My wife is a professional seamstress, she does it for a living and is very good at ti so besides sewing a button on I leave my sewing to her. Oh and she has all the commercial machines etc.