Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Starter Wafers
Make your own fire starter wafers with an empty paper towel roll, woodchips/sawdust from the workshop, and paraffin wax. I heat up the wax until it is liquid and add woodchips/sawdust until it is a sludge. Close off one end of the paper towel roll with a piece of aluminum foil. Pour the wax mixture into the roll and use a dowel to pack it in to reduce the air bubbles. Let it cool and remove aluminum foil. I then cut the roll on my bandsaw into slices that are at least 1/8 inch thick. When I light them I cut a slit in the cardboard tube and light it like a wick. They take off pretty quick and depending on how thick they are they can burn for a while.

Here is a youtube of a similar process. You can also see some simple mistakes and what not to do.

my issue with anything made of wax, is that it melts when left in the car. At least if you use vasoline, it's already in a 'mush' state so you know to prepare for it. If you use something with wax, you have to remember to put in a bag, but when it melts, it looses all of it's shape and ends up going all over the place
I keep a pringles can full of these at my BOL. I keep them in the basement and have not had a problem with them melting. They work great in the fireplace. I also have a few bricks made out of this stuff I keep with my camping supplies (they are in zip lock baggies). My chips are mostly pine and cedar sawdust and that may be what makes them somewhat stable. The bricks I cut off a hunk and it makes for an easy starting camp fire.
I use 35mm plastic film holders for many things like vasoline, char cloth, matches, etc. Still have a shoe box of them from my photo days.
Don't think these days they're to easy to come.
I use the orange bottles that pills come in for small stuff I want to keep dry.
We use a lot of supplements and the plastic bottles they come in make for great waterproof containers.  In each GHB I have bottles of powdered Gatorade and bottles containing cotton, lighters, mag bars, matches etc. 

Figure you'd just toss the bottles anyway so this gives them an actual use that is waterproof, light, floats and costs nothing.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
In my cheap endeavors, I've found that replacing the cotton with dryer lint works as well. Basically I take a wad of it (in a large sandwich bag) and take a handful of vasolene jelly and start mushing together.

In fact, if you go this route, wear rubber gloves. It's pretty messy. But it will start a fire very well and you can't get much cheaper.
I have learned that the addition of the lamp oil to your paraffin and cotton mixture makes for a quicker light up when using a striker/ferrocerium ignition.
(10-29-2015, 11:58 PM)JRSC Wrote: In my cheap endeavors, I've found that replacing the cotton with dryer lint works as well. Basically I take a wad of it (in a large sandwich bag) and take a handful of vasolene jelly and start mushing together.

In fact, if you go this route, wear rubber gloves. It's pretty messy. But it will start a fire very well and you can't get much cheaper.

That is why I used sawdust.  The wax I had was left over from previous projects and also had some candle stubs mixed in. A paper towel tube of these goes a long way as I did this initially about 5 years ago and still have over half of the wafers and bricks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another Fire Starting Method Tsquare 5 2,238 03-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Tsquare