Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Bleach is NOT Created Equal!
Lightbulb 
Good info to know and pass on Smile

All Bleach is NOT Created Equal!
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I use bleach tablets, each 3.2g tablets gives 1,000 ppm available chlorine per litre of water. Allows me to carry a large amout of bleach without the bulk and weight of multipule bottles, i carry 2 old empty 1litre bottles in pouches on my pack and a 100ml bottle of premade concentrate 10,000 ppm. Pour the 100ml bottle into the 1lt bottle add 900ml of water and you have basic bleach or to whatever mix you require quickly using the 100ml bottle as the measure.

I also do something similar with iodine carrying a bottle of concentrate and mixing to the required strength. The iodine is bought from a chemical supply house so it is pure and of a known strength for working out a dilution table.

DILUTION TABLE 3.2g

100ml 10,000 ppm Body fluid spills & conditions of heavy soiling
400ml 2,500 ppm Non metallic medical & veterinary appliances & laboratory discard jars
1 litre 1000 ppm General disinfection
2.5 litres 400 ppm WC’s, drains, sinks
5 litres 200 ppm Food preparation areas
8 litres 125 ppm Baby bottle sterilisation
10 litres 100 ppm Cloths & mops

I buy them in packs of 200 from a ship chandlers that provided the information above. I have found them a great source of supplies at reasonable prices all packaged for the hostile environment of the sea. One possable down side is you do need to bulk buy, but my group of lunatics use it as a group buy opportunity.
(07-11-2015, 09:39 PM)Wolfman Wrote: I use bleach tablets, each 3.2g tablets gives 1,000 ppm available chlorine per litre of water. Allows me to carry a large amout of bleach without the bulk and weight of multipule bottles, i carry 2 old empty 1litre bottles in pouches on my pack and a 100ml bottle of premade concentrate 10,000 ppm. Pour the 100ml bottle into the 1lt bottle add 900ml of water and you have basic bleach or to whatever mix you require quickly using the 100ml bottle as the measure.

I also do something similar with iodine carrying a bottle of concentrate and mixing to the required strength. The iodine is bought from a chemical supply house so it is pure and of a known strength for working out a dilution table.

DILUTION TABLE 3.2g

100ml                      10,000 ppm                           Body fluid spills & conditions of heavy soiling
400ml                      2,500 ppm                             Non metallic medical & veterinary appliances & laboratory discard jars
1 litre                       1000 ppm                              General disinfection
2.5 litres                  400 ppm                                WC’s, drains, sinks
5 litres                     200 ppm                                Food preparation areas
8 litres                     125 ppm                                Baby bottle sterilisation
10 litres                   100 ppm                                Cloths & mops

I buy them in packs of 200 from a ship chandlers that provided the information above. I have found them a great source of supplies at reasonable prices all packaged for the hostile environment of the sea. One possable down side is you do need to bulk buy, but my group of lunatics use it as a group buy opportunity.

This is good information but I'll have to translate all the litre volume to quarts since I'm metric challenged. One thing though. Is there some binder added to the tablets that could impact the safety of the product--like the scent in scented liquid bleach?
Thoughts are the seeds of actions. Actions are the seeds of fate. Be careful what you plant.
Growing Your Own Food is Like Growing Your Own Money
You are welcome to visit my author website  http://www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
Regular chlorine in gallon bottles will start deteriorating and reportedly loses strength. If you want a disinfectant for your drinking water, you need to do a little research. FEMA indicates that the PROPER POOL SHOCK costing about $9 a pound will disinfect 17,000 gallons of water. PLEASE NOTICE THAT I CAPITALIZED. The PROPER POOL SHOCK is highly hydroscopic. That is a fancy term for drawing water out of your hands! When you store it, double bag it in zip lock slider bags and then put the stuff inside a clear plastic container like Snapware in a cool/dark part of the garage for storage. Obtain small glasses bottles with stoppers because a little bit goes a very long way. I also put a couple of zip lock protected instructions from FEMA in each container holding the substance. I don't rely on memory.
I don't rely on memory.

Excellent quote. Which is why I urge everyone to keep a Rite In The Rain notebook and list important things in it like how many drops of bleach treats x amount of water and such. I've talked to some real "brilliant people" who have belittled this by saying you need everything inscribed in your brain. And I agree, to an extent, but when things pop off and your mind is going several hundred miles a minute and you have other things to think about and consider, a notebook and cheat sheet isn't nonsense.

I reckon most everything has a shelf life. If you carry water treatment capsules in your BOB, GHB or whatever, I'm guessing replacing them annually or twice a year is a good thing to do.
History is not dead to the man who would learn how the present came to be what it is.

In The Age Of Information, Ignorance Is A Choice.