Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's The Grossest/Worst Thing You've Seen On A Survival Show?
This was posted on the old forum. I've reposted for educational purposes. 

One episode of Man Vs Wild, Bear came up on a rocky beach. While looking for food he found a dead seal laying on a rock. He looked it over and saw maggots in its eye holes. Somehow determined they weren't fit to eat. However, thought it was safe to cut off a chunk of blubber of its back and gagged it down. First, in a survival situation, I understand you've got to do what you've got to do to live. But gagging a piece of stinking blubber isn't a good idea IMO. It's better to keep what's inside rather than puking.

Les Stroud never took this risk that I know of. And on an episode of Dual Survival, Dave Canterbury found a dead beaver he considered for food but said it best, "I didn't kill that animal myself, so I'm not going to eat that animal."
On of the worst thing to think of doing ( tho it may save your life ) was the urine enema ... seems like drinking your pee doesn't work but in the bowels ok, they can absorb the water part without salts... from some lost at sea survival
Well Bear drink the liquid he squeezed out of elephant crap so I'd say that would be towards the top of my list of stupid/gross things to do.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I was going to mention the elephant crap as well. He did so much questionable stuff for shock value.
Have you ever noticed they move as . Fast as they can during the heat of the day something you have to do slow for a few hours in the early morning and late afternoon.
(09-07-2015, 02:19 AM)ghost Wrote: Have you ever noticed they move as . Fast as they can during the heat of the day something you have to do slow for a few hours in the early morning and late afternoon.

Yeah, he runs everywhere it seems regardless of the risks.  Don't get me wrong, I like Bear and do think he's got a solid survival set, but I can see where he forfeits common survival sense for ratings.  Running in the heat...not your best option by far.

And if your old very young or hurt your not going to do that I am in good shape pear shape is a shape right and I would not do that.
(09-07-2015, 02:33 AM)ghost Wrote: And if your old very young or hurt your not going to do that I am in good shape pear shape is a shape right and I would not do that.

Yep.  I mean if you're in a true survival situation it becomes a calorie and hydration count.  Blowing through either or both needlessly without a definitive purpose is simply stupid.  And the chance of twisting an ankle or breaking something goes way up.  Or worse, missing and option or opportunity to end the ordeal in short order. 

In this 'game' the tortoise is the definite winner.

When I was in sere school I learned that there is more life in a dead tree than there will ever be in a live tree.
"When I was in sere school I learned that there is more life in a dead tree than there will ever be in a live tree."

By that do you mean using it for fire, eating the bugs possibly using it for shelter?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dual Survival JRSC 18 2,799 03-08-2018, 03:13 AM
Last Post: JRSC
  Survival memes David 14 4,365 02-01-2017, 06:00 PM
Last Post: David
  Dirty Rotten Survival David 20 3,994 11-19-2016, 02:18 AM
  Survival/Post Apocalyptic books Cougar90 3 990 11-19-2016, 01:59 AM
  When survival shows go wrong. JRSC 19 2,279 06-24-2016, 09:11 PM
Last Post: JRSC