Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Habits and Situational Awareness
I am constantly changing my routine so I dont form habits, I learned that by working at the jail for 9+ years.
I do practice situational awareness on a continual basis.  It does not mean that I am not vulnerable, just that I have avoided some unpleasant confrontations over time.

It is important for an average person to understand and tell his children and grandchildren the following:

1.  most home burglaries are through an unsecured backdoor or window;

2.  most home burglaries are committed by juvenile friends of a relative;

3.  it is important not to brag or tell people at school that dad has weapons, money, jewelry at home. 

Years ago, had some things missing.  Went to the home of the son's friend and there was one of the items sitting out in the living room.  Happens.  Kid across the street from my future BIL was about the same age of the future BIL.  Came over and burglarized the house.  A juvi, of course.
(08-30-2017, 09:20 AM)Scout Wrote: I am constantly changing my routine so I dont form habits, I learned that by working at the jail for 9+ years.

Unfortunately I'm very much a creature of habit. In many ways you could set your clock by my routine. The one nice thing about my routine, I'm very aware when something is out of the ordinary.  

I developed the routine so I could basically function without thinking. When the alarm went off, I had everything in its place so I could go from a sound sleep to fully dressed and out the door in less than a minute. Yet to do this, everything had to be in its place, no hunting for anything. This habit has continued over even though I have been out of the fire/EMS service for almost a decade now.
Situational awareness has become even more important in my area due to that serial killer in the Seminole Heights area of Tampa.  Seems pretty random but centered around one particular bus stop and the surrounding area.  Seems like they've linked all four through forensics.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Just remember to stay aware in these Holiday shopping days...

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter...piLAsPRURA

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.