Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Habits and Situational Awareness
I am constantly changing my routine so I dont form habits, I learned that by working at the jail for 9+ years.
I do practice situational awareness on a continual basis.  It does not mean that I am not vulnerable, just that I have avoided some unpleasant confrontations over time.

It is important for an average person to understand and tell his children and grandchildren the following:

1.  most home burglaries are through an unsecured backdoor or window;

2.  most home burglaries are committed by juvenile friends of a relative;

3.  it is important not to brag or tell people at school that dad has weapons, money, jewelry at home. 

Years ago, had some things missing.  Went to the home of the son's friend and there was one of the items sitting out in the living room.  Happens.  Kid across the street from my future BIL was about the same age of the future BIL.  Came over and burglarized the house.  A juvi, of course.
(08-30-2017, 09:20 AM)Scout Wrote: I am constantly changing my routine so I dont form habits, I learned that by working at the jail for 9+ years.

Unfortunately I'm very much a creature of habit. In many ways you could set your clock by my routine. The one nice thing about my routine, I'm very aware when something is out of the ordinary.  

I developed the routine so I could basically function without thinking. When the alarm went off, I had everything in its place so I could go from a sound sleep to fully dressed and out the door in less than a minute. Yet to do this, everything had to be in its place, no hunting for anything. This habit has continued over even though I have been out of the fire/EMS service for almost a decade now.
Situational awareness has become even more important in my area due to that serial killer in the Seminole Heights area of Tampa.  Seems pretty random but centered around one particular bus stop and the surrounding area.  Seems like they've linked all four through forensics.
Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
Just remember to stay aware in these Holiday shopping days...

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter...piLAsPRURA

Governmental dependance makes for poor self reliance.

"What could possibly go wrong with a duct tape boat?"  Cody Lundin

The best defense against evil men are good men with violent skill sets.
I posted a comment in November 2017. Since that time, my next door neighbor was burglarized a second time. Moreover, at least two neighbors had car burglaries. People watch too much television wherein the crime is solved and perp put in jail.. Yes, there are at least two videos of the guy done by neighbors. However, videos don't guarantee identification/prosecution/conviction/discipline. So, I spent the money and installed two sets of deadbolted gates restricting entry to my property that are 6 feet high. Lockable from the inside as well as the outside. Bought a couple more game cameras for the backyard. And, imagine! I live on a dead end street off a nearly dead end street. This time the guy looks like a tweeker and not a truant male.
We did a training last night at one of the area churches. It dealt with situational awareness. We discussed about being aware in the parking lot with the St. louis area having such a large increase in carjackings and vehicle burglaries.

Then we went to inside the church. I got there early and placed hidden cameras in the building. After we had done a walk of the building and discussed different items, I then turned them loose to try to find the hidden cameras. It was interesting watching them walk right by the cameras multiple times and even inspecting items around the cameras. They finally found one of them. I had to help narrow down the search area and after they took several guesses they found the last camera.

This lead us into the discussion about being aware of your surroundings and looking for things that are at the norm. Both items that had hidden cameras in them were 'normal' items that you would find in the church building. Yet, they weren't there last service. We had a good discussion about how it is easier to spot something that doesn't fit in verses an item that fits in, but is not normally there. The ladies in the training were concerned that it was that easy to hide cameras. We took a break and when a group of them head to the bathroom, a line started at the door and they were checking everywhere in the bathroom and picking up everything to see if there were any cameras. I assured them I placed no cameras in the bathroom, but the reality of it is that it takes little effort to hide a camera in there.

The goal wasn't to make people paranoid, but to increase their awareness. I showed them some equipment that can be used to detect cameras and I also pointed out how the cheaper cameras can be harder to detect because they weren't broadcasting a signal.

The final conclusion was we have to do our best to be aware of what is normal, what is not normal, and what is outplace, especially in areas where you would expect a level of privacy.
Thank you Buyers. I had the same thinking last month when I set up 3 game trail cameras in the backyard. The latest home burglar in the neighborhood was wandering from house to house look for opportunity. Probably a tweeker. Didn't want to get caught. Would not be looking for cameras. Yes, I know that people will prominently display that they have cameras (like me), but the signs are ignored.

Once, I had to deal with a situation wherein 2 juvis murdered a night manager at a 7-11. The security consultant described the company-dictated placement of shelves/cameras/advertising. He gave good information as he had been a stickup man earlier in his life. People won't care and won't steal cameras, much less try to take them out. In London, with some 10,000 cameras operated by the police, only 3% of the crimes are solved by using cameras - too little other resources to follow up.